Supplementing with Sodium

f4iguy

f4iguy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Stan Efferding (IFBB pro, World Record Powerlifter, and Inventor of the Kooler) advocates for increasing sodium intake to enhance performance. He did a seminar recently with Mark Bell where he suggested adding sodium to a post workout shake, I'm not sure how much though.

Stan goes so far as to say sodium intake can have a greater impact on performance than creatine. It can increase glycogen storage in muscle cells, improve blood flow, and increase uptake of carbs in a post workout shake.

Has anybody tried this? What source would you use for sodium?

InItForGainz

Awards
  • Established
I've been adding salt to my post workout shake for years, and I've never noticed any negative side effects. Infact, I actually think it helps to carry and keep my pump for longer post workout too. I recently read through a thread where The Solution recommended adding sea salt to a pre-workout shake if training fasted to help improve muscle pumps whilst in a glycogen depleted state.
It makes sense when you think about it because sodium, as with Creatine, helps to pull water and other nutrients, such as carbs, into muscle cells. And a better hydrated and fuelled muscle will be bigger and stronger.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
From a nutritional physio standpoint that's nonsense. MPS is elevated post workout and there is no anabolic window. Post exercise bout we see the body react immensely to stimulate recover and growth: blood flow is increased which allows the body to shuttle amino acids to the cells. But let's say we do want a post workout shake because science is for nerds. Protein is insulinogenic, and the main signal for synthesis is the mTor pathway. So why do we need carbs again? Or additional salt lol?

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein is insulinogenic, and the main signal for synthesis is the mTor pathway. So why do we need carbs again? Or additional salt lol?
I don't think we need additional carbs, because the leucine will cause enough of an insulin response to open up the Glut4 receptors. But I do think salt consumption post workout can be beneficial for cell re-hydration, nutrient delivery/absorbtion and electolyte balance.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't think we need additional carbs, because the leucine will cause enough of an insulin response to open up the Glut4 receptors. But I do think salt consumption post workout can be beneficial for cell re-hydration, nutrient delivery/absorbtion and electolyte balance.
Which we "should" achieve from whatever meal we eat at some point post bout. I'm not really saying "hey don't use salt," i'm simply confused at the idea we need to specifically concentrate on salt or CHO when we are doing these things already (ingestion through daily eating patterns). And since we aren't training back to back, we will re-hydrate within plenty of time for more exercise.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In before people add grams upon grams to their pre and post workout drink of choice and end up making a colonoscopy-esque drink which will clear them out if you know what I mean.

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much before and after your workout.
I don’t use It pre, i use it post Workout pretty liberally on my good though. Never really felt the need to measure sodium as im not a physique competitor and don’t have any blood pressure issues.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
If you're going to add sodium, be sure to also add in K+.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sea salt is great, but don't avoid regular table salt either. Sea salt does not contain as much iodine as the latter.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Stan Efferding (IFBB pro, World Record Powerlifter, and Inventor of the Kooler) advocates for increasing sodium intake to enhance performance. He did a seminar recently with Mark Bell where he suggested adding sodium to a post workout shake, I'm not sure how much though.

Stan goes so far as to say sodium intake can have a greater impact on performance than creatine. It can increase glycogen storage in muscle cells, improve blood flow, and increase uptake of carbs in a post workout shake.

Has anybody tried this? What source would you use for sodium?
This really depends on the person. I can't use to much sodium due to high BP and an issue towards edema. I would say individualized,.

heavylifter33

heavylifter33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If you're going to add sodium, be sure to also add in K+.
This too. Must have been tired writing my post. You throw too much of a mineral around and you run the risk of cellular imbalance.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i drink pink sea salt every morning for health benefits....but I've always been against adding sodium if you don't have to, I just don't like salty food in general so I always stayed away

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Himalayan Sea Salt is not as healthy as people believe. The concentrations of the trace minerals - especially at the dosages of salt we consume - are negligible at best. A good point in the below article raises the question that if the trace minerals present in the salt are good for you, then the trace radioactive material and poisons are also going to be harmful, given the concentrations are near equal.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/pass-the-salt-but-not-that-pink-himalayan-stuff/

You're better of grabbing iodine fortified table salt. At least the iodine actually does something.

ashenshugar77

Awards
Yeah the bleached processed salt with barely bioavailable minescule amounts of iodine added is the way to go, definitely.

or I'll stick to my celtic sea salt + lugols.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What about baking soda pre and iodine salt post workout?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the bleached processed salt with barely bioavailable minescule amounts of iodine added is the way to go, definitely.

or I'll stick to my celtic sea salt + lugols.
Ah, the nutritional pseudoscience is strong with this one.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Baking Soda has useful benefits for athletes outside of its sodium content, so definitely go ahead!

chedapalooza

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Posting to remind myself to post a pic of an awesome iodine source i use daily once i get back home

ashenshugar77

Awards
Ah, the nutritional pseudoscience is strong with this one.
I doubt you comprehend what science is and what it does and how much you can conclude from the available data which is very little.

Maybe in 900 years..

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I doubt you comprehend what science is and what it does and how much you can conclude from the available data which is very little.

Maybe in 900 years..
Science on Celtic Salt and table salt? By all means, go ahead and show me the data. Minerals present in both are laughable at best, except the sodium in both, and iodine in fortified salt. But don't get me wrong, i love rock salts for their texture and taste. But nutritionally? Don't rely on salt for benefits that extend beyond sodium and iodine.

Spectrum analysis of himalayan sea salt shows radioactive material present. By your logic, it'd be enough to make an atomic bomb ;)

You're worried about how table salt is processed? Your drinking water passes through chlorine :O

costelum

Awards
  • First Up Vote
i know that sodium it cause arterosclerosis and it does affect the heart health ... so supplementing with sea salt is very dangeerous ... have anybody any ideea about that ?

costelum

Awards
  • First Up Vote
High sodium intake increases vascular superoxide formation and promotes atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.
Ketonen J1, Merasto S, Paakkari I, Mervaala EM.
Author information

Abstract

Hypertension is a major risk factor for atherosclerosis. We tested the hypothesis whether high salt intake aggravates endothelial dysfunction and promotes atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice (ApoE(-)/(-) mice) and their littermate controls (C57Bl/6 mice). The role of increased oxidative stress was also examined. A high-salt diet (NaCl 7%) for 12 weeks increased blood pressure and induced cardiac hypertrophy and albuminuria more pronouncedly in ApoE(-)/(-) mice compared with C57Bl/6. Endothelium-dependent vascular relaxation in response to acetylcholine was almost maximally impaired in ApoE(-)/(-) mice during a normal sodium diet. A high-salt diet did not further impair NO-mediated vascular relaxation. A high-salt diet also markedly attenuated endothelium-dependent relaxation in C57Bl/6 mice. Preincubation with the superoxide scavenger Tiron normalized endothelial function almost completely in both mice strains indicating the central role of increased oxidative stress in the pathogenesis. Aortic superoxide production and the extent of atherosclerotic lesions were greater in ApoE(-)/(-) mice on a normal-salt diet compared with C57Bl/6. The high-salt diet increased vascular superoxide formation and promoted atherosclerosis in ApoE(-)/(-) mice. Changes in dietary salt intake did not influence serum lipids in either mouse strains. Our findings suggest a detrimental role for high salt intake in the development of atherosclerosis and underscore the importance of increased oxidative stress in the pathogenesis salt-induced vascular damage.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
High sodium intake causes oxidative stress, free radicle production, and arterial stiffening. I was a co author for a study in college on a paper on this. It’s nasty stuff.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Baking soda works because the body cleaves off the bicarbonate and you pee out the sodium. Bicarbonate is used to pick up free floating hydrogen ions and act as a pH buffer during intense activity so you can go harder for longer before you get that burning sensation.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I take a table spoon full on during summer months before a workout. Blood pressure never goes out of range.

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
salt not bad (e-deficient mice aside) as long as not super crazy (performance amounts and not 5 bags doritos per day amounts) *and* you up potassium to get 2:1 ratio of k to na. some unlucky have genetic defect where it cause high bp, but that not normal. also as athlete, a lot sweat out. even if using bi-carb, it 57% sodium, so can figure daily amount and needed potassium. food apps great for tracking intake, and try to get most as possible from added iodized salt - salt in store food/restaurant not have iodine.