[Study] Aspartame and Sucralose - Minimal Effect on Gut Microbiota, Glucose Metabolism, or Insulin Sensitivity

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Good preliminary news for those who consume a bit of Aspartame and Sucralose through powdered supplements. I believe there has historically been concern over artificial sweeteners, such as Aspartame and Sucralose, and their effect on gut health and insulin sensitivity due to previous animal studies. The below study was done on humans.

“In a preliminary study intended to evaluate the impact that these two common NNSs would have on the trillions of gut bacteria present in the digestive tract, 17 healthy participants between the ages of 18 and 45 years old who had a BMI of 20-25 underwent two 14-day periods in which they took a daily dose of aspartame, and then sucralose, and had their fecal samples collected for analysis of changes to their microbiome and short-chain fatty acid production. The researchers used an aspartame dose that was 14% of Health Canada’s Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI), since the aspartame ADI would equate to the content found in 20 servings of Diet Coke, and approximately 20% of the ADI for sucralose, as the ADI for it represents 14 servings of diet iced tea. The dosages used in the study were reflective of about three cans of diet soda per day, making the dosage level high but reasonable and realistic. Additionally, the participants were prohibited from drinking more than two cups of caffeinated drinks, and no more than 10 mL of alcohol, and any probiotic supplements or foods containing probiotics were off limits.”

“Fecal sampling indicated that there were no changes to the six short-chain fatty acids evaluated in any of the study participants, the authors wrote, and, additionally, there were no measurable impacts on gut microbiota.”

“Additionally, neither of the NNSs used in the study had any measurable effect on glucose metabolism or insulin sensitivity, the authors said.”

Quote from above found here: https://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/contents/view_breaking-news/2020-11-11/common-sugar-substitutes-have-no-impact-on-gut-microbiome-study-reports/

Full text study found here: https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/12/11/3408/htm

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good preliminary news for those who consume a bit of Aspartame and Sucralose through powdered supplements. I believe there has historically been concern over artificial sweeteners, such as Aspartame and Sucralose, and their effect on gut health and insulin sensitivity due to previous animal studies. The below study was done on humans.

“In a preliminary study intended to evaluate the impact that these two common NNSs would have on the trillions of gut bacteria present in the digestive tract, 17 healthy participants between the ages of 18 and 45 years old who had a BMI of 20-25 underwent two 14-day periods in which they took a daily dose of aspartame, and then sucralose, and had their fecal samples collected for analysis of changes to their microbiome and short-chain fatty acid production. The researchers used an aspartame dose that was 14% of Health Canada’s Acceptable Daily Intake (ADI), since the aspartame ADI would equate to the content found in 20 servings of Diet Coke, and approximately 20% of the ADI for sucralose, as the ADI for it represents 14 servings of diet iced tea. The dosages used in the study were reflective of about three cans of diet soda per day, making the dosage level high but reasonable and realistic. Additionally, the participants were prohibited from drinking more than two cups of caffeinated drinks, and no more than 10 mL of alcohol, and any probiotic supplements or foods containing probiotics were off limits.”

“Fecal sampling indicated that there were no changes to the six short-chain fatty acids evaluated in any of the study participants, the authors wrote, and, additionally, there were no measurable impacts on gut microbiota.”

“Additionally, neither of the NNSs used in the study had any measurable effect on glucose metabolism or insulin sensitivity, the authors said.”

Quote from above found here: https://www.nutraceuticalsworld.com/contents/view_breaking-news/2020-11-11/common-sugar-substitutes-have-no-impact-on-gut-microbiome-study-reports/

That's great news!

I hope another study will be done soon, with more than 17 participants.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
That's great news!

I hope another study will be done soon, with more than 17 participants.
Definitely. Would love to see more participants and more artificial sweeteners tested in the future

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So I can make my own spice melange?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Seriously though as a T1D this is reassuring to read. Thank you for sharing.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
This is a red flag for me. I think we can all agree that someone that is paid to speak for PepsiCo is a Substantial conflict of interest?

IMG_5502.JPG

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The study wasn’t funded by PepsiCo. He did a one time seminar at an event sponsored by PepsiCo. I think it’s fair to bring this up, however I don’t believe it negates the work the team did.
Yes that’s very clear by the picture I posted. For me it does negate it substantially as it’s a big red flag. That’s just my opinion.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes that’s very clear by the picture I posted. For me it does negate it substantially as it’s a big red flag. That’s just my opinion.
You’re entitled to your opinion.

As for my opinion, I don’t believe being paid to discuss your work makes you corrupt, or negates the future work you do. The guy has authored/co-authored dozens of papers on a variety of topics, and been cited over 700 times. I think that helps demonstrate his reputation as a researcher.

If, in the future, it comes out that this work somehow is corrupt, then I’d certainly say, “guess I was wrong”, but based on what I’ve seen, it seems like a valid preliminary study.

I don’t analyze the validity of studies, their design, etc for a living, so I’d appreciate others chiming in with their opinion.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You’re entitled to your opinion.

As for my opinion, I don’t believe being paid to discuss your work makes you corrupt, or negates the future work you do. The guy has authored/co-authored dozens of papers on a variety of topics, and been cited over 700 times. I think that helps demonstrate his reputation as a researcher.

If, in the future, it comes out that this work somehow is corrupt, then I’d certainly say, “guess I was wrong”, but based on what I’ve seen, it seems like a valid preliminary study.

I don’t analyze the validity of studies, their design, etc for a living, so I’d appreciate others chiming in with their opinion.
Brother, he is being paid by a company that HEAVILY uses artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup extensively. I’ll go out on a limb and place my bet that those chemicals aren’t contributing to the health of our society. Do you think they are paying him to badmouth the chemicals that are the backbone of their main products? Seems a bit naive and let’s just say it’s declared as a conflict of interest for a reason.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It's Schrodinger's corruption. It either exists or it doesn't and we won't know until we try to consistently replicate the results.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Brother, he is being paid by a company that HEAVILY uses artificial sweeteners and high fructose corn syrup extensively. I’ll go out on a limb and place my bet that those chemicals aren’t contributing to the health of our society. Do you think they are paying him to badmouth the chemicals that are the backbone of their main products? Seems a bit naive and let’s just say it’s declared as a conflict of interest for a reason.
As far as we know, he was compensated one time to discuss the topic. That’s it. Do you know more you’re not sharing? He’s also not the only author.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It's Schrodinger's corruption. It either exists or it doesn't and we won't know until we try to consistently replicate the results.
Well, I get your point, but if a larger study is done in the future and it shows opposite results of this, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the previous researchers were corrupt.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Also to point out, the study didn’t measure every single possible thing that could possibly be impacted by the consumption of artificial sweeteners. It looked at a few specific things, and noted minimal impact.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As far as we know, he was compensated one time to discuss the topic. That’s it. Do you know more you’re not sharing? He’s also not the only author.
Yes and that enough to lose credibility in my book as it’s a blatant CONFLICT OF INTEREST. Maybe I just understand how the business world operates?! Again, a multi billion dollar companies don’t employ people that speak ill of their core competencies. It’s that simple.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yes and that enough to lose credibility in my book as it’s a blatant CONFLICT OF INTEREST. Maybe I just understand how the business world operates?! Again, a multi billion dollar companies don’t employ people that speak ill of their core competencies. It’s that simple.
PepsiCo doesn’t employ him.

But, to put an end to this, here is a study below co-authored by Dylan Mackay published one year prior to the now infamous PepsiCo sponsored seminar.

“Evidence from RCTs (randomized controlled trials) does not clearly support the intended benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners for weight management, and observational data suggest that routine intake of nonnutritive sweeteners may be associated with increased BMI and cardiometabolic risk. Further research is needed to fully characterize the long-term risks and benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners.”

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Layne Norton went over this in full on his podcast too

Some of the topics we hit on in this episode include:

-Her education and how she got into gut microbiome research sort of by accident

-The effects of different dietary modifications on the gut microbiome

-Why the microbiome is so important

-Probiotics vs prebiotics

-Artificial sweeteners & their effects on the gut microbiome

-The limitations in the different types of studies

-The importance of fiber & dietary fiber diversity

-Intermittent fasting

-Her opinion on "gut health" products

-Her recommendations for nutrition overall for a healthy gut

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
PepsiCo doesn’t employ him.

But, to put an end to this, here is a study below co-authored by Dylan Mackay published one year prior to the now infamous PepsiCo sponsored seminar.

“Evidence from RCTs (randomized controlled trials) does not clearly support the intended benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners for weight management, and observational data suggest that routine intake of nonnutritive sweeteners may be associated with increased BMI and cardiometabolic risk. Further research is needed to fully characterize the long-term risks and benefits of nonnutritive sweeteners.”

Since you want to split hairs, By definition PepsiCo did employ him for a one time job:

Employ: to provide with a job that pays wages or a salary

Your study puts nothing to bed on the topic of his conflict of interests and the safety of these chemicals.

All good. We can agree to disagree.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Layne Norton went over this in full on his podcast too

Some of the topics we hit on in this episode include:

-Her education and how she got into gut microbiome research sort of by accident

-The effects of different dietary modifications on the gut microbiome

-Why the microbiome is so important

-Probiotics vs prebiotics

-Artificial sweeteners & their effects on the gut microbiome

-The limitations in the different types of studies

-The importance of fiber & dietary fiber diversity

-Intermittent fasting

-Her opinion on "gut health" products

-Her recommendations for nutrition overall for a healthy gut
I’ll look forward to this thank you for posting.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I’ll look forward to this thank you for posting.
Don't worry. You can drink your monster energy drink and not be scared of the artificial sweeteners while listening to the episode :)

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You know they list these potential conflicts because it's impossible to eliminate them all, right?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, I get your point, but if a larger study is done in the future and it shows opposite results of this, it doesn’t necessarily mean that the previous researchers were corrupt.
No, but if the results were verified repeatedly it would probably put the potential of corruption in this study to bed.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sure. But this one is blatant to me
So, let's say for a moment he's biased. How far are we going to say that could have affected things? If he was pushing specious correlations or something, why would the rest of the team go along with it?

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So, let's say for a moment he's biased. How far are we going to say that could have affected things? If he was pushing specious correlations or something, why would the rest of the team go along with it?
Ego/pride, confirmation bias, and greed are woven all throughout academia/medicine. What it does is perpetuates things that can be untrue or harmful to society. People go along with such things as it’s simple herd mentality and usually their livelihood depend on compliance. The ones that go against the grain are ostracized/pushed out for making the others feel uncomfortable or exposed. I know a PhD personally who this has happened to. At certain levels, if you rock the ship, you risk everything.

Side note: I’m looking forward to my Helios that is in the mail.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ego/pride, confirmation bias, and greed are woven all throughout academia/medicine. What it does is perpetuates things that can be untrue or harmful to society. People go along with such things as it’s simple herd mentality and usually their livelihood depend on compliance. The ones that go against the grain are ostracized/pushed out for making the others feel uncomfortable or exposed. I know a PhD personally who this has happened to. At certain levels, if you rock the ship, you risk everything.

Side note: I’m looking forward to my Helios that is in the mail.
I guess I'm glad I'm a loner.