strength gaining rep range

juandelabarra

Awards
Hi guys,

So for the past couple of months I've been working on raising my strength on the main lifts. The way I go about it is the first week with a new weight I do 8 triples, the next week 9 triples and then 10 triples, after that I raise the poundage by 10lbs and start the cycle again.

The rest between each set of 3 is usually 3 minutes and while it's working, my workouts usually last like 2-2.5 hours on average

Today I was wondering if a better idea or at least as good would be doing 8 triples the first week, 7x4 the next week and finish the cycle doing 6x5. The number of total reps per workout would be the same so I think it's a good idea.

What do you guys think?

Thanks and sorry for the long post

JackSouth

JackSouth

Awards
Think the first idea will work better. One effective way to gain strength is to always increase weight.
Like:
Week 1
Set1, 150x5
Set2, 150x5
Set3, 152,5x5

Week2
Set1, 150x5
Set2, 152,5x5
Set3, 152,5x5

Week3
Set1, 152,5x5
Set2, 152,5x5
Set3, 155x5

Week4
Set1, 152,5x5
Set2, 155x5
Set3, 155x5

Week5
Set1, 155x5
Set2, 155x5
Set3, 157,5x5

And so on...
I did this for my squat and dead and increased 40kg in less than 6months.

nathanroe

nathanroe

Awards
Hello friend,
Your idea of doing 8 triples in the 1st week and then 7x4 in the next week and finish by doing 6x5 in the last week is very good. It will be much more effective than your previous workout schedule. Thank you.

LDubs

LDubs

Awards
I think all of the suggestions given could work. Why don't you try one for a while, then switch to a different rep/set scheme. I know science says muscle confusion is bs, but I always get better results when making slight changes or tweaks every 2-6 months compared to keeping things static for longer periods of time.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Today I was wondering if a better idea or at least as good would be doing 8 triples the first week, 7x4 the next week and finish the cycle doing 6x5. The number of total reps per workout would be the same so I think it's a good idea.
2 cents and depending on where you are, as far as your level of experience...
It is going to get tougher as the cycle goes on, if you are adding weight each week say, so the 6x5 are going to get tougher quicker than say 6 or 8 of x3. Otherwise you could keep the weight the same for a bit, but add volume, or the reps vs sets, could be higher.
As the weight goes up, the volume will most likely go down to keep the program gaining.
An example of this, is the bit more advanced Russian Percentage Program...
http://www.timinvermont.com/fitness/russian.htm

If you look at the 6x6, the weight has not been raised, but the volume is slowly increased over the weeks. After the peak volume session, 6x6 is hit, the weight (thus intensity) is then raised 5% each week or so peaking out, but the sets and reps are lowered, to make up for that higher intensity output.
This program worked really well for my BP. I have tweaked it too, to be only 2x per week's work on the lift (say BP's) as well.
It is however a tougher program for the squats and deads, as one may have to dial back your %'s of 1RM, to make all the sets and reps as the cycle goes on. 6x6, 5x5 etc. gets hairy for some at say 80%-85%.

compudog

compudog

Awards
I'm not sure that would work out very well for you. The volume doesn't seem right. If you're working with a weight you can get for 6 sets of 5 in week 3, why bother doing triples the first week? It's too easy, there's unused volume there.

If you're aiming for sets of 5, why not just start there and do a 5x5? It's simple. You do 5 sets of 5, if you can finish add 10 lb (5 for bench press or overhead press). When you can't finish all 5 sets, repeat the workout until you can, then resume adding weight.