Stocks

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
After getting into crypto and loving it, I've decided to expand my investment portfolio. I figure for those interested, this could be a pecs to discuss all things stocks.

To kick it off, my research is in its infancy, but I'm looking at buying into semiconductors. I've just learned about them but sounds fascinating.

Anyone else?

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like stocks that pay a nice dividend, even when the stock is not increasing in value, you still have an income.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
After getting into crypto and loving it, I've decided to expand my investment portfolio. I figure for those interested, this could be a pecs to discuss all things stocks.

To kick it off, my research is in its infancy, but I'm looking at buying into semiconductors. I've just learned about them but sounds fascinating.

Anyone else?
For semi you can buy SMH
VanEck Vectors Semiconductor ETF

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Truthfully, I handed over money to Schwab and let them do their thing. Never planned on swing trading stocks or day trading so my portfolio is high risk 85% stocks for a (relatively) short gain- 20 years. Want to retire young lol

That’s if the stock market doesn’t bottom out.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tilray and GW have been looking good lately if you wanna invest in some weeeeeeeed.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Truthfully, I handed over money to Schwab and let them do their thing. Never planned on swing trading stocks or day trading so my portfolio is high risk 85% stocks for a (relatively) short gain- 20 years. Want to retire young lol

That’s if the stock market doesn’t bottom out.
Yeah, my newfound interest in crypto and stocks is to replace my weekly paycheck. This is all so exciting to me lol.

kjscatch

kjscatch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, my newfound interest in crypto and stocks is to replace my weekly paycheck. This is all so exciting to me lol.
I have always been interested but never dived into it. Where would you suggest a newbie to start?

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
...and you can just as easily lose it all. I'd be hesitant to take on that mindset. You have to always consider risk. Sure there are some successful day traders but very very much the exception than the norm. They also have a ton of experience and capital to put into play.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...and you can just as easily lose it all. I'd be hesitant to take on that mindset. You have to always consider risk. Sure there are some successful day traders but very very much the exception than the norm. They also have a ton of experience and capital to put into play.
Obviously you should only invest what you’re okay with losing. If you watch the market daily and cringe when you see it drop you MAY have invest too much.

Due diligence is key here.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have always been interested but never dived into it. Where would you suggest a newbie to start?
Are you referring to crypto or just stocks in general? If crypto, honestly @kisaj is my mentor (Even though he doesn't know it). Venture over to the crypto thread and look at posts there. I ask lots of basic questions. Otherwise, I've really liked how the app Coin Market Cap explains the history and a bio of each crypto, but I'm not using them as my wallet.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Of course, and I've stated just that several times. My wife and I agreed on a certain amount I can *play* with and see what I can do knowing the risk of losing it all.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice thread build. I admittedly am a bit green with stocks buy would love to learn more. I generally let Fidelity build my portfolio and it's worked out well, but I am taking a gamble on some of the new companies studying psychedelics for medical purposes. It is a very interesting area for me.

I will also say that I made some money from GME out of pure dumb luck and timing.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Discovery has been on a tear lately too.

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
GBTC is your basket of crypto stocks ETF but it has run up big time lately.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Of course, and I've stated just that several times. My wife and I agreed on a certain amount I can *play* with and see what I can do knowing the risk of losing it all.
Gotcha, had not seen the previous posts so that’s good to hear you are budgeting for investments per-se and what you are willing to lose if those are particularly risk based.

It’s just too easy for some to get caught up in market hype and risk then suddenly the rug is pulled out with no safety net.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Another suggestion -- M1 Finance (and certain other investment portals) will allow you to create a portfolio of stocks (or ETFs or Mutual Funds). Most of the time, to purchase a stock or ETF you have to do so in increments of 1, each at the then-current daily trading value. But with M1, you can purchase fractional shares. So, for example, if you picked a portfolio of 25 stocks, rather than have to buy 1 of each stock, you are allowed to invest an amount to be allocated on a user-determined basis. This allows the purchase of fractional shares (shares other than in increments of 1 share). As an example, if you had a portfolio of 25 stocks, you might select a 4% allocation to each stock. In this example, if you invested $100, 4% (or $4) would be invested (as a fractional or "partial" share) in each of the 25 stocks. In the case of M1, there is zero fee for the base functionality. Others, such as Betterment, impose a small-ish fee, periodically.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Tilray and GW have been looking good lately if you wanna invest in some weeeeeeeed.
I'm not finding GW on ETrade, is there another acronym or something?

Also, why those companies in particular, any specific reason?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
So to get around the limitations on daytrading, I'm using Webull and E-Trade and will alternate daily. What app or program is everyone else using?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm using Robinhood and E Trade. So far, for me, Gopro has been doing well.
I just bought Carnival Cruise lines, and about a week later, they announced a longer "pause" on opening back up.....
Disney is another one I want. People are itching to get back on those cruise ships and Disney World with their matching t shirts!! Lol

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ocugen, UWMC, GOEV, NIO, Roblox, and Riot Blockchain, all good choices for short and long-term IMO.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
So to get around the limitations on daytrading, I'm using Webull and E-Trade and will alternate daily. What app or program is everyone else using?
I use TD Ameritrade and like that one. I have a Robinhood account that I try not using much.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't really know what y'all are saying about WSB, but it sounds like you think they're all retarded...? What am I missing?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't really know what y'all are saying about WSB, but it sounds like you think they're all retarded...? What am I missing?
Members of the WSB community refer to themselves as "retarded" "apes" or "autistic" (semi)sarcastically because they feel it's how hedge fund executives see them (and because sometimes it's apt or in 1-2 cases, an actual diagnosis.)

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are these amc predictions based on? Or just hope?
People haven't been to the movies in a year, there's a glut of new content delayed from 2020 and once people get a covid shot and gubmint check they're taking the family to the movies again.

All stock predictions are based on hope. It's just a matter of if there's any logic to that hope. In the end it will always be a gamble, though.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are these amc predictions based on? Or just hope?
In regards to the stated timeline, there's some scuttlebutt around a recent conference call. If that information gets disseminated, there may be some big buys of AMC stock over the next week. If that happens, obviously the stock value will go up.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
People haven't been to the movies in a year, there's a glut of new content delayed from 2020 and once people get a covid shot and gubmint check they're taking the family to the movies again.

All stock predictions are based on hope. It's just a matter of if there's any logic to that hope. In the end it will always be a gamble, though.
In regards to the stated timeline, there's some scuttlebutt around a recent conference call. If that information gets disseminated, there may be some big buys of AMC stock over the next week. If that happens, obviously the stock value will go up.
Gotcha! Thanks. I might be jumping on that AMC train as well.

Did anyone invest in Roblox?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Time to buy in!
Another reason many believe the stock price will jump significantly is the short squeeze potential, similar to what was seen with GME. AMC is a heavily shorted stock, and there was no expectation on the end of the hedge funds for reddit to jump on AMC. The hedge funds will have to cover their shorts and short interest, as they were expecting most of the stock to be available to the public, as opposed to owned by the public. At this point in time, I believe a large short squeeze is inevitable, not if it will happen, but when will it happen.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
im in it for squeezeeee 🙏