Stocks/Bonds/Money Market and who Invests on AM?

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Hey fellas. Just wanted to get a concensus on who invested on this board and how things were going for you. I have some money in a few funds, the only one doing anything good is the Franklin Templeton fund tho. :( I wanted to start a thread on investing since I am interested in making the most of my earnings especially right now in life and for the future. Just wanted to get some conversation started and see who really gets into this. I know Riskarb knows his stuff, but I can't understand what he's talking about :).

ss01

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Gold, it's all about gold now. Former successful economist and stockbroker here.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its all about real estate.

"Buy land. They stop making it"

---Mark Twain

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Do any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions for the broke college student that doesn't want to be broke forever? Whats the minimal amount that one needs to start investing in something?

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
This is a topic I am also interested in but have never had anyone in the know to ask about it. I too would like to hear some good responses to this.

size

Awards
  • Established
This should be your goal, invest 1 and return 1+x, where x is any value >0 including all costs. Any method that produces this return is fine.

size

Awards
  • Established
Do any of you guys have any ideas or suggestions for the broke college student that doesn't want to be broke forever? Whats the minimal amount that one needs to start investing in some thing?
Eliminate debt before concerning yourself with investing. In a general statement, debt is guaranteed loss/cost, investing does not guarantee a return especially when one considers the time value of money in comparison of debt vs investing

Cold

Awards
If one lives in the usa, then at your age starting a roth ira would be an excellent idea for your future.
Agreed. I started one when I was 18. Hopefully it'll come in handy in a couple of years.:)

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If one lives in the usa, then at your age starting a roth ira would be an excellent idea for your future.
How much would you suggest an initial investment be? I've only been able to talk to one guy about investing, and he did pretty much utility funds and gave me a few websites to look at. Really didn't tell me anything either. The only thing that I am making ANY money in at all is the Franklin Templeton investments and that could turn sour at any moment.

knox

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. I started one when I was 18. Hopefully it'll come in handy in a couple of years.:)
ya i did the same when i was 18 or so. what did you invest in? I did mine in health care since it seems to always be steadily increasing. the next challenge will be living long enough to enjoy it.:eek:

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
ya i did the same when i was 18 or so. what did you invest in? I did mine in health care since it seems to always be steadily increasing. the next challenge will be living long enough to enjoy it.:eek:
:lol:

That's a good field, people are always being born and always dying. :)

Cold

Awards
I did mine with the company called Janus. My dad and I did a history check on them, and they seem pretty stable. No real fluctuations. Health care seems like a good investment to me. I may have to look into that sometime, that is when I have money.:sad:

BULK_CITY

Awards
Eliminate debt before concerning yourself with investing. In a general statement, debt is guaranteed loss/cost, investing does not guarantee a return especially when one considers the time value of money in comparison of debt vs investing
WRONG

I have read countless success stories where smart people invested and made $$ rather than paying off all their bills

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
it all depends on the financing. if youre paying 12% to your bank then the best investment would be to cover your deficit, period.

size

Awards
  • Established
WRONG
I have read countless success stories where smart people invested and made $$ rather than paying off all their bills
Your post is wrong and shows the lack of knowledge that you have on the topic. Many hear the few success stories but never hear about the 90%+ that fail.

If investing is so easy, and debt does not matter, then why is not everyone millionaires a few times over?

If you want to feel good in life, then be liquid and free from the constraints of debt.

bandit_193

Awards
Your post is wrong and shows the lack of knowledge that you have on the topic. Many hear the few success stories but never hear about the 90%+ that fail.

If investing is so easy, and debt does not matter, then why is not everyone millionaires a few times over?

If you want to feel good in life, then be liquid and free from the constraints of debt.
I have to disagree on the debt thing...

I use my 700+ FICA to consistenly get low/no down payment properties that generally have high APR because they are investment loans.

I buy properties and rent/sit on for a few years to extract equity. And yes you can become milionaire doing this. If I were to liquidate all the properties I've aquired over the past 7 years...I could retire now in my mid 30's And yes I'm 1.3M in the hole. But my properties provide a light cash flow and pay for themselves, as well as, create equity.

I whole heartedly believe R/E is one of the best investment in the good ole US

size

Awards
  • Established
I have to disagree on the debt thing...
I buy properties and rent/sit on for a few years to extract equity. And yes you can become milionaire doing this. If I were to liquidate all the properties I've aquired over the past 7 years...I could retire now in my mid 30's And yes I'm 1.3M in the hole. But my properties provide a light cash flow and pay for themselves, as well as, create equity.

I whole heartedly believe R/E is one of the best investment in the good ole US
Yes, one can use debt for advantages. Many economists and investment strategists have shown this. But does this make it right for most?

Commonly one will say you have to spend money to make money. However, this does not imply that one buries oneself in debt. If you want to encourage someone new to investing(as this thread is about), then you should encourage them to eliminate debt. The debt will be a loss that will continually occur and will not resolve itself. No investments are 100%, but debt is certain.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Can you explain what that is size ? Thanks, BTW, what do think of gambling on football games for an investment provided that you have been winning in the past.

Cold

Awards
Can you explain what that is size ? Thanks, BTW, what do think of gambling on football games for an investment provided that you have been winning in the past.
A Roth IRA is a retiremnt that won't be taxed when the money is taken out. But you will be penalized for taking some of it out. To make money, you have to let it build up over time, and make contributions. The longer you let it build up, the more money you can make. That's basicall all I know. I'll let size explain the rest for ya.

BULK_CITY

Awards

hahah

lack of knowledge? how would you know this? I know A LOT on the subject (I am an experienced investor and read tons of info on investing everyday). I also have a job with investing, please do not try to come at me and insult my "lack of intelligence." Sure A LOT will fail if they try to do this, but that does not mean all will, and the ones that succeed don't always accomplish it by "luck."

You said for him to pay his debts off first, I simply said that there are other ways of going about it if you really know what you are doing.

Yes, investing is complex, but if you put the time/effort in you should be making 10+% ROI. There are not a ton (even though there are a lot) of investors that are millionaires a few times over. That is because not many people put in the time/effort to become EXTREMELY good at investing. You have to work at it and be smart. You don't just pick "hot stocks" or **** like that, but im sure you know that ;)

Grassroots082

Grassroots082

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Where is a good place to start if one is interested in investing such as a message board like this or good books OR anything else. Bulk City, Size anyone advice is wanted.

size

Awards
  • Established
lack of knowledge? how would you know this? I know A LOT on the subject (I am an experienced investor and read tons of info on investing everyday). I also have a job with investing, please do not try to come at me and insult my "lack of intelligence." Sure A LOT will fail if they try to do this, but that does not mean all will, and the ones that succeed don't always accomplish it by "luck."

You said for him to pay his debts off first, I simply said that there are other ways of going about it if you really know what you are doing.
First lacking knowledge does not equate to lacking intelligence. There is difference. For instance, I have zero knowledge about the mating habits of sea urchin, but this does not indicate a lack of intelligence.

Let us look at your quote again, "WRONG. I have read countless success stories where smart people invested and made $$ rather than paying off all their bills." I read this as implying that eliminating debt is foolish. No ehere does it mention other investment strategies. To me, it encourages the wrong approach especially for a novice.

If you work in the investment industry, then you would know that one must to discuss debt issues with investors. If one's assests < liabilities, then in many circumstances it is UNETHICAL to encourage investing. Rather one should suggest debt elimination or reduction.

size

Awards
  • Established
Where is a good place to start if one is interested in investing such as a message board like this or good books OR anything else. Bulk City, Size anyone advice is wanted.
I would go to the library and read about economics, "central banks", and investing.

gordongecko

Awards
correct o mundo

I am a registered NASD 3 and 7. Stocks, Commodity Futures, Options on Futures. An individual must be "qualified" for investment in anything. It requires certain income per year, certain net worth, liquid assets. It is considered a red flag for any regulatory agency when/if the **** hits the fan. ie....Client claims a sell order was issued and posistion was not liquidated. Client loses money. Client complains to NFA/SEC. They investigate. Want to see time stamps, order receipts, phone conversations (always taped). If they see your clients are underfunded or over/under financially or God for-fucking-bid used a credit card to advance cash to invest with. Big Trouble. B

Eliminate debt before investing. W/in reason. not to say you should pay off your mortgage before you contribute to an IRA. Thats just illogical. Pay off debt that is at high rates. cars, credit cards, furniture, boat. Short term debt. Contribute to an IRa/401-time/compounding is issue here. Get in early.

For what its worth.....

size

Awards
  • Established
Eliminate debt before investing. W/in reason. not to say you should pay off your mortgage before you contribute to an IRA. Thats just illogical. Pay off debt that is at high rates. cars, credit cards, furniture, boat. Short term debt. Contribute to an IRa/401-time/compounding is issue here. Get in early.
The magic of compounding. :)

db79

Awards
I also believe in reducing/eliminating short-term high interest debt. But back to the original question, you must question what your investment goals are. Long/short term, growth/income, etc.. With your goals in mind you can better evaluate proper investment strategies to meet your goals and needs. Also investing carries an associated risk that can not be over-looked. Depending on your financial and personal situation, the money that you invest should be expendable.