Starting Over

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
After nearly four years of not being able to adequately work out, I feel like I'm starting over. I'm 46 now.
Almost 4 years ago, I was around 250 lbs, 22% bf. Now, I feel like a shell of my former self.
I just got a gym membership, and (of course) want to get back up to speed as fast as possible.
Prohormes, no prohormones. What do you think. If prohormones, which ones? I used to be a big M1T and Superdrol fan, but those are gone.
I'm literally picking up the scraps of my former life. I'm looking to bouce back and move forward.
Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
My plan right now, is to tighten up my diet, and work out 6 days per week.
Back/Bi's Chest/Tri's Legs then repeat.
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
That would be the very same advice that I think I would have given somebody a few years back.
Now, that I'm standing in those shoes, I'm wanting some kind of quick fix.

Very true.... back to basics until you plateau, then make your decision there.

Thanks for your help

-TT

I'd suggest hitting the weights and cardio a while before thinking about PH's or AAS. Save those for when you hit a plateau. If you just want some motivation, maybe try some energy drink or something OTC for some pep.

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
get a good pre workout. there are a buttload of great options out now. the caffiene will boost motivation big time. ive said plenty of times, without preworkout drinks, i wouldn't be worth a damn.

on a side note, superdrol hasn't went anywhere. still legal and easily available. like you said, hit your plateau first.

best of luck

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
A cup of coffee before working out has helped quite a bit. I'm steering clear of the high-tech stims though.
I'm happy to report that week two of the workout is going good, and I'm making progress.
After 3 years of bodyweight only workouts, I had feared that I had plateaued, but that's simply not the case.
We will see where this takes me, without manipulating my hormone levels.
Thanks to a vindictive ex-wife, the police now have my prohormone collection.
Thank you for your help,
-TT

get a good pre workout. there are a buttload of great options out now. the caffiene will boost motivation big time. ive said plenty of times, without preworkout drinks, i wouldn't be worth a damn.

on a side note, superdrol hasn't went anywhere. still legal and easily available. like you said, hit your plateau first.

best of luck

kanakafarian

kanakafarian

Awards
The thing you have in favor for yourself is muscle memory. I wouldn't be suprised if you're up and running exactly where you left off in less than 2 months with hard work and dedication.

Sdrol is still readily available but I would stick to training hard and eating right first. Get back in the groove then think about going the PH/DS route. Good luck bro!

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Your progress sounds great bro. Stick with it and you'll be back on track in no time.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Right now, the plan is to split up my workout:
Back and Bi's
Chest and Tri's
Legs
Repeat, and take one day off per week.
I'm a little foggy on what's best for cardio. Previously, I'd just walk on an incline for like an hour, but that's more for dropping fat than working the heart.
After my workout, I was thinking of doing 20 minutes of cardio... either bike, or treadmill.
I know I need to get my diet back under control. It's time to dig out the Calorie King software, and plan out my meals better.
I'm definitely doing a lot better this week.
Thanks everybody for your help and encouragement!
-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Now, I'm working on the diet....
Sadly, I'm living with my mom right now, otherwise I'd be homeless.
I request the following:

Meat:
Chicken Breast or Turkey Breast

Vegetables:
Broccoli
Carrots
Cabbage
Turnips

Carbohydrates:
Brown Rice
Sweet Potatoes

Dairy:
Low Fat Cottage Cheese
Low Fat Mountain High Yogurt

Breakfast Carbs:
Heritage Flakes from Sprouts
Malt-O-Meal
Steel Cut Oats

Comments... Suggestions...

bakerderek0

bakerderek0

Awards
  • Established
The diet looks fairly clean, I guess it depends on when & with what you are eating everything.

As far as cardio, I would just try to hit my target heart range for about 20 mins everyday. That will burn optimal fat, while hopefully sparing muscle. I always run preworkout, but some will say it depleneshes my insulin levels & hurts my muscle training. I feel fine & would much rather give my targeted muscle group a good rest and recovery aid post workout, rather than doing cardio.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I got to meet with a personal trainer the other day.
I guess I get one free consultation with the gym membership.
The guy was a triathlon athlete. I had a feeling we weren’t going to see eye to eye.
I do 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps. He wanted me to do 20 reps per set.
I do like a 2 seconds up, 2 or 3 seconds down type rep, with a 2 or 3 minute rest in between sets. I’ll wait longer if I’m doing chest, back, or legs.
This trainer didn’t seem to be into any of that.
I'll do a pull day, then a push day, then legs. He seemed to want me to work all my muscle groups each workout session.
Oh well.
-TT

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Dude, there are more work out routines than there are hookers on south side. You have a better idea of what works for you if you've trained in the past. Train for your goal. Based on what you've said thus far, I'd say cardio to burn off fat and a cut routine would be good for you. Keep the muscles shocked by switching up your movements and reps. Dumbells one week, barbells another, heavy weight/low reps one week, light weight/ high reps another. You'll feel it when your doing the right thing.

Cuffs5150

Awards
LIsten to Candle25...he's been around and has solid advice. Good to see you around again bro...it's been a long time. **My old log on (Cuffs) doesn't work on here for some reason.**

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
LIsten to Candle25...he's been around and has solid advice. Good to see you around again bro...it's been a long time. **My old log on (Cuffs) doesn't work on here for some reason.**
Ha. Thanks for the support bro. Good to hear from ya.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I had to send an email to [email protected] to get my account working again. I hope that works for you.

Cuffs5150

Awards
Thanks Toad...I'll give it a shot. Good to see you around as well!

Cuffs5150

Awards
Sent the email you gave me Toad. Hopefully this works. ;)

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I don’t know if this is a California thing or what, but it seems like there are a lot of either rude or just plain clueless people at the gym.

For example, I’ll be alternating between leg curl and leg extension, then on my last set, as I’m switching machines, somebody will step in front of me and want to do their set.

So today, I say to the guy, “Hey, this is my last set. Can I finish?”
Nope. He wants to do his set, and that’s that.

I had a similar thing the other day with a gal wearing an iPod that just stepped in front of me as I went from the adductor to abductor machine. To add insult to injury, between sets, she just sat there on the machine. I gave up, and went on to another exercise.

Many people here just seem to be off in their own little world, oblivious to everything but their own needs. Perhaps it’s a defense mechanism for coping with crowds. Perhaps they’re just plain rude.

Anyhow, I'm definitely feeling better. That first day I worked out... I thought they were going to have to call an ambulance for me. I finished up about 20 minutes worth of cardio, and I just felt awful. For a few minutes there, I didn't think I'd be able to drive myself home.

Also, for the first couple of weeks, during my exercises, I'd feel like I'd been drinking. It's hard to describe, but it reminded me of how I would feel about 3 or 4 hours after drinking. Kinda tired, kinda weak, like maybe starved for oxygen. But now, I'm doing much better.

-TT

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
Haha. I think that behavior is just human in general, not geo specific. If someone does that to me I just do a different excersize. It's mainly old folks at the gym for me. I know they'll be a while...lol. Yeah, cardio is a killer when you first start back. Keep pushing bro!

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I think my mom is adapting to my diet.

She's commented that her food bill has gone down, and tonight, she was telling her friend about the wonderful brown rice I made for dinner.

Tonight, I made grilled lean pork, with grilled onions. Steamed broccoli, and brown rice cooked in chicken broth.

My mom was really into frozen foods: pot pies, frozen quiches, and these meal-in-a-bag things. If I don't do the cooking, that's what she'll make for dinner.

Now if I can just get her to stop baking all those cakes and muffins. In a moment of weakness today, I ate 2 poppy seed muffins. I'd just rather she didn't have all that stuff around.

-TT

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Ahhhh!!!...Much better! Thanks for the suggestion Toad! I'm BACK! lol

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Today is leg day. It's fun, because I get to push big stacks of weights. Then, in two days, I can barely walk.

The gym that I'm at, has a lot of machines by Hoist. There are some that have the built-in weights that are selected with a pin. Then there are the ones that you add plates to.

On Monday, for a morale booster, I did the whole stack on the rowing machine - 259 pounds. It's not a lot, but it made me feel good.

On the way back from the gym, I stopped at the grocery store. In front of me, in line, was this pretty hefty gal. She probably weighed 250 pounds. I always like looking in the shopping baskets of fat people.

Inside her cart, was two big packages of Farmer John bacon, two 16-oz tubs of sour cream, and two boxes of brownie mix. That's it! No vegetables.. nothing else!

-TT

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
On the way back from the gym, I stopped at the grocery store. In front of me, in line, was this pretty hefty gal. She probably weighed 250 pounds. I always like looking in the shopping baskets of fat people.

Inside her cart, was two big packages of Farmer John bacon, two 16-oz tubs of sour cream, and two boxes of brownie mix. That's it! No vegetables.. nothing else!
Maybe I should try that for tips since I'm tryint to gain weight...lol. Keep going bro.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Apparently Saturday was little gals with big implants day. We had several of these beauties walking around wearing no bra… not that I’m complaining.

Today, I did 230 pounds on chest press. This is good. I was using a Hoist RPL-5301 Chest Press machine. I really like the Hoist Plate-Loaded machines. The Hoist “selectorized” machines leave a lot to be desired though… especially their leg machines.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Today was leg day. I had an early morning dental appointment, so I skipped leg day yesterday (excuses, excuses...)

I did 495 lbs on leg press, using the Hoist RPL-5403 Dual Action Leg Press machine. I love this machine!

I'm really liking these Hoist plate loaded machines in general.

By the way, does anybody have any suggestions for a good quality lunch that needs little refrigeration, and no microwave? My little ice chest doesn't stay particularly cold even with one of those Blue-Ice packs, in a hot car for four hours.

Thanks,

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Wow! What a difference a month makes.

That awful oxygen-starved feeling I was getting in between sets has greatly diminished. I'm feeling more "normal" now.

I'm pushing a lot more weight that I did a month ago. I've still got a lot of work to do, and I keep reminding myself that I didn't get to where I was before in a month or two... it took years. Patience.

Although this is a particulary bad week for cardio (yeah, I know, every week is a bad week for cardio), I need pick up the cardio significantly. Over the past month I would keep spending more time on the weights, which left less time for cardio.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
For the past couple of weeks, I've been playing with the Star Trac Recumbent Bikes. The ones at the gym seem a little old, as they have LED displays, not not the nice big full color LCD displays I seen on newer ones.
The Star Trac bike works with my little Polar heartrate monitor, so I don't have to hold onto the hand grips while I ride to see my heart rate.
It has a program that automatically changes the cycle's resistance to make my heart rate go up and down between an upper limit, and a lower limit setup when I start the bike. I really like built-in fan it has too.

The weight lifting is coming along. I wish I knew exactly how much I was pushing when I put 270 pounds worth of plates on the Hoist chest press machine. I went to their website, and didn't see any formulas for calculating force given the plates loaded onto the machine, and the weight of the operator. It's definitely not 1 to 1.

Maybe in another month, I'll start working in some free weights into my routine again. I must admit that the Hoist plate loaded machines are "fun" when compared to other machines I've used.

I've got a lot of hard work ahead of me.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Last week, I loaded up 270 pounds on the same chest machine, and couldn't make it budge. What the heck!
Tomorrow, I'll try again.

Except for changing up the cardio, I've been doing pretty much the same routine since I started working out again. I was making pretty good progress too.

Perhaps it's time to change up the routine.

-TT

P.S. I did try the decline chest machine the next day, and hit 270. Is it the same as a free-weight 270 press? Probably not, but I can't find the info on the Hoist website to tell me how to translate between the two.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday, I got to play on the Star Trac eSpinner bike. I now have no desire whatsoever to own a bike or ride that darn thing again.
I'm just no meant to sit on that itty bitty seat. It hurts!

Except for the seat, it's a pretty neat little gizmo. It's got a capacitive touch screen like my iPhone. It's got a tv tuner, an iPod interface. Pretty snazzy!
It's just not for me.

I suffered through it for 30 minutes while I did my cardio / interval routine. We'll try something else tomorrow.

As a general comment, I just love how lots of these cardio machines pick up the signal from my Polar heart monitor.

-TT

Sanserif

Sanserif

Awards
Hey, man, just wishing you the best on getting back in the game and sticking with it. I'm over 40 and I ended up back living with a parent a few years ago. It happens. I managed to get my head together and things have turned out really well since then -- moved to a new city, remarried, career is finally going somewhere. Just took a whole lot of small steps in the right direction (and a few steps back here and there) and eventually ended up with a better life.

I also started back to the gym about 9 months ago, and also thought I was going to pass out for the first couple weeks. Doing much like what you're doing, splitting up workouts like push/pull/legs, on a two-week plan that includes 1 set of each main lift at my 5-rep max every two weeks (not all on the same day!).

Since I know my test level has dropped a fair amount since the days of Miami Vice and David Lee Roth...ha...I recently started DAA, 2mg a day of the bulk NP powder, and I've seen real changes. I feel almost like I'm back in...maybe not my 20s, but probably my early 30s. I took 6-OXO a few years back and DAA feels a lot like that for me, minus the hot temper (or maybe I'm just less of an ******* now). Also taking small amounts of resveratrol, P-5-P, piracetam and nettle root -- not going supplement-crazy just yet, but I like these. Actually I've never been able to tell if resveratrol does anything for me, but the science is there...

Anyway, congratulations on getting back in the gym. Hope you keep hitting your goals.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, Sanserif.

A couple weeks ago, I over did the low row, and wound up with some unwanted pain in my left forearm for a few days. The arm is doing much better now. I'm going to try some cissus to help with the joints and tendons. I should have some in a few days.

I miss stuff like 6-OXO and 6-Bromo. Right now, my supplement budget is pretty much zero. Hopefully, that situation will change in the coming months.

Yes, small steps. 'just have to keep moving forward.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to run on the treadmill one of these mornings. Each morning, I seem to head for a cycle or a rowing machine instead. Yeah, a few years ago, I would run so hard in the mornings, that I could barely walk for a couple of hours afterwards. Once or twice a week, I would do sprints in the area behind the gym, away from the cars. It was a lot of fun.

Well, tomorrow is a "push" day. For some odd reason, I can't seem to hit that 270 mark again on the chest press. Decline yes, regular press no. Weird.

wastedwhiteboy2

wastedwhiteboy2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Another thought is to give some of the test boosters a try. At your age test might be a bit low and something like Activate might give you a little boost til you are ready for the PH. Also the insulin mimickers might help. And ease into those weights slowly.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I don't have a budget right now for any supplements to speak of. I started taking cissus this week though.
I used to have some of DS' original Activate, many moons ago. I didn't get a chance to try it though.
I used to have lots of stuff, but thanks to my vindictive ex-wife, it's all gone.

This week, I started running on the treadmill. I got a new pair of running shoes to motivate me. I did a "fitness test" today on the FreeMotion treadmill. It gave me this nonsenical VO2max score of 80. I think I'll try a different machine later in the week.

With the heat, I find myself less active and gaining fat. So, time to tighten up the diet, and bump up the cardio.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
I redid the VO2max test today, and came up with a score of 54. Of course, since my test earlier this week (Gerkin Test) came up with a score of 80, all these tests are suspect.
54 seems reasonable to me. I got the score of 54 using the Ebbeling test.

I'll try again next week using the Gerkin test. The Gerkin test seems more rigorous. With the Gerkin test, you go to exhaustion.

It seems I neglected to mention that I did a chest press of 250 pounds last week (2 reps only). It was using a LifeFitness Chest Press machine. The machine is 1 to 1, meaning you select 250 pounds, you're actually lifting 250 pounds, unlike the Hoist machine where you're never really sure. It would be really cool if I could break 300 pounds by the end of the year. Am I being realistic?

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Just for fun, I tried a couple of treadmills today to calculate my VO2max. The first one told me my VO2max was 29, and the second one said it was 80 again. At least they're consistent. :stupid:

I decided to do my "push" day today, and did 5 reps of the 250 lb chest press machine. Next set I could only do 4. According to my handy dandy chart here, I should be able to do 1 rep of 288 pounds. However, I couldn't get the thing to budge at 270. Maybe it's all in my mind.

One thing I've noticed about the treadmills and recumbent cycles: They all ask for my weight. Why can't they just measure my weight? Come on! I would be surprised if it added $5 to the cost of a $3500 treadmill. Another nice feature, would be if the equipment remembered me, so I didn't have to keep typing in my information each time.

Years ago, I bought a Tanita bodfat scale. Every time you used it, you'd have to enter your age, your height, your sex, etc. About five years ago, I bought a newer Tanita scale, and this one would store the data for up to four users. Again, non-volatile memory is just so cheap now these exercise machines could not only store your favorite settings, they could track your progress.

Anyhow, tomorrow will be my "pull" day. Hopefully I'll have the wisdom not to injure myself again. Patience!

Remember: Every day, in every way, we get a little stronger.

-TT

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
Keep your diet under controll, as to your workout, set it so you can swich off machines in different order. That way you can ignore the fools and idiots.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yes, OG, must keep the diet under control. I think it would be wise to eliminate my Friday "cheat day." I think that it works for younger folks but for me, its a recipe for disaster.

Definitely time to change up the machines. Switch the order, etc.

This morning, I was just so excited about my "one rep max" revelation, that I broke my rule, and only waited 2 days between days. Well, to make a short story even shorter, I failed. Not only could I not push 270 lbs, I couldn't even push the 250 that I pushed 2 days earlier.

I have some friends that I used to work out with, and they liked to go heavy only once a week. The other day, they went lighter, and did higher reps.

Yes, sometimes going to the gym is quite entertaining... Fools and idiots... they're quite plentiful, especially at the gym.
I love the guys that doe their reps like 2" down, 2" back. Yes, yes, I know that range of motion is over-rated, but seriously folks 1 or 2 inches down then back!!!

It's best not to worry about what other folks do, and focus on yourself and your form. Going to the gym is kinda weird, in a sense... many people, yet in many respects, it's like a morgue! Eye contact is frowned upon. God help you if you try to converse! I guess that's why I really enjoyed my group exercise class a few years back.... misery loves miserable company!

Anyhow, my goal is to be strong, and healthy. Yes, I'd like to look good too, but I'd rather be strong and healthy, than look good.

-TT

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
When I'm in the gym, I focus on the exercise at hand. If someone speaks to me I respond, if they don't who cares ! If were going to talk for a few I step away from the machines. I'm just taking care of business ! TT just set your goals and don't look back. Just one step at a time, you can do it !

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
Look good and be strong and healthy, take the entire package.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the encouragement Oldguns!

To look good, I'm going to need to get religious about my diet, and spend more time on the treadmill.
Back in Victorian times, the treadmill was an actual torture device.
If anyone has ever seen Escape from L.A., there's that funny scene with Snake Plissken chained to a treadmill.

I found an interesting article on Wikepedia that referenced information from a book called "Supertraining," by Mel Siff. It sounds like I'm going to need to re-examine my workout routine as well.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Yes, treat your body like an engineering control system, so to speak. Set your goals, monitor your progress, and tweak your inputs and output.

As somebody from a highly technical background, I just love being able to measure stuff.... %BF, Weight, Calories in, Calories Burned, and Weight Lifted. For the most part, the way I gauge my progress, is by how much I can lift, and my %BF. Quite frankly, I'm not happy with either right now.

I need to jump back into my Calorie King software, and bust open my piggy bank and get myself a decent Tanita scale.

Technology is great when it works, but when it fails, it sucks. Today I had a lot of problems with my Polar Heartrate monitor. It was just all over the place, and I had no explanation. It would show my HR at 109 one minute, then seconds later, it would be at 230! Of course the treadmill couldn't make heads or tails of what was going on, and screwed up my cardio. Again, I love technical gadgetry, I love measuring stuff, and I think it's fantastic that lots of the cardio equipment at the gym can read my Polar HR thingy and adjust my workout according to my heart rate. Like they say... "to error is human, but to really phuque things up requires a computer."

-TT

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
After nearly four years of not being able to adequately work out, I feel like I'm starting over. I'm 46 now.
Almost 4 years ago, I was around 250 lbs, 22% bf. Now, I feel like a shell of my former self.
I just got a gym membership, and (of course) want to get back up to speed as fast as possible.
Prohormes, no prohormones. What do you think. If prohormones, which ones? I used to be a big M1T and Superdrol fan, but those are gone.
I'm literally picking up the scraps of my former life. I'm looking to bouce back and move forward.
Any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
My plan right now, is to tighten up my diet, and work out 6 days per week.
Back/Bi's Chest/Tri's Legs then repeat.
-TT
I haven’t read the other posts, so I maybe repeating other’s advice or maybe even behind. I don’t have the time. I’ve had 2 restarts, the first one after a serious injury at 46, the second recently was more life threatening. The first I thought it might be all over; I wasn’t sure I could start over at 46, that was foolish. Now at 56 I’m doing it all over again, 6 months later, I’m about 85%. My avatar and stats are recent. I personally don’t trust people who hide these things.
1) Treat yourself as a beginner, IOW, no anabolics or fat cutting sups. Save them for when you get close to your potential. People are so stupid to use this stuff as a short cut.
2) If you trained and ate well before then you’ll probably get back quicker than you think. If not, learn how to train and eat now.
3) Get your test and pituitary hormones checked.

I was pretty humiliated both times, but most serious weight lifters I've known are generally respectful people. Maybe, working hard for something makes you that way. Don't let your set backs get to you.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Excellent advice, DBinMD.

My restart is due to a vindictive now ex-wife, severe injury, and false imprisonment. I have no recourse.

Once I got to the gym, I seemed to bounce back rather quickly, but I'm having trouble getting back to where I was just 4 years ago.

I'm trying to avoid manipulating my hormone levels. I'm trying to see what I can do on my own, with proper training and diet.
That said, I think there's a lot of room for improvement. I know there's no one right way to train, but poking around on Wikipedia has casused me to question my training.

If you ever want to hear my horror story, I'll PM you. It really sucks when you've been married to the "girl of your dreams" for 20 years, and then she turns one you -- big time! I never saw it coming, and I have a copy of all her emails sent up until a month before. I got totally broadsided. And to turn it into the ultimate nightmare for an aspiring bodybuilder, she got the police involved. Sadly, in at least my case, the police that showed up were dirty.

So, maybe I need to ammend my statement... "To error is human, but to really phuque things up requires a computer. However, if you want to destroy somebody's life, call the police."

-TT

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Excellent advice, DBinMD.

My restart is due to a vindictive now ex-wife, severe injury, and false imprisonment. I have no recourse.

Once I got to the gym, I seemed to bounce back rather quickly, but I'm having trouble getting back to where I was just 4 years ago.

I'm trying to avoid manipulating my hormone levels. I'm trying to see what I can do on my own, with proper training and diet.
That said, I think there's a lot of room for improvement. I know there's no one right way to train, but poking around on Wikipedia has casused me to question my training.

If you ever want to hear my horror story, I'll PM you. It really sucks when you've been married to the "girl of your dreams" for 20 years, and then she turns one you -- big time! I never saw it coming, and I have a copy of all her emails sent up until a month before. I got totally broadsided. And to turn it into the ultimate nightmare for an aspiring bodybuilder, she got the police involved. Sadly, in at least my case, the police that showed up were dirty.

So, maybe I need to ammend my statement... "To error is human, but to really phuque things up requires a computer. However, if you want to destroy somebody's life, call the police."

-TT
Yeah, go ahead and PM me, we can exchange horror stories. then you can decide if I'm worth listening to. i have a friend who seems to have a similar story to you, too.

For my severe leg injury it a couple of years. I never made a full recovery depending on how you look at it. But I did get my deadlift up to 530x3 and my bench up to 350 which is 2 times my lean body weight before my last debacle. Pound for pound my DL about 3 yrs ago was strong as some of those guys you see in the worlds strongest man. Besides, I'm not so obsessed with lower body. The big guys at the gym don't impress me, if i weighed as much as them I'd be benching 500lbs. So I guess I can't complain.

oldguns

Awards
  • Established
TT we all have our demons to face. It's how we face them that makes all the difference. I'm not out to prove anything, I'm just trying to be the best I can be.!

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Overall, the workout went well today. My little Polar watch claimed that I burned over 1000 calories.

I need to set some goals, work towards them, monitor my progress, and make adjustments. A 300 lb bench press (free weight) is a realistic longer term goal. I also want to get back down to 20% bf. Lower, if possible. I haven't really thought much about my cario goals. I've moved from the recumbent cycle to the treadmill, and I seem to be making progress.

My short term goal is to max out the Freemotion chest press machine. It's plate loaded, and goes up to 290 lbs. I'm working it at 250 right now.
I was so excited to try it out again, after reading how I sould be able to do 270 on it, that I didn't wait long enough between work out days, and couldn't even push 250 that day. Maxing out plate loaded machines is a big morale booster for me.

For fun, I "played" on the Precor treadmill. Every company has a little different software. The Precor machine seemed to want to put me at a steep incline and have me walk the whole time. The heartrate monitor worked flawlessly today. Yesterday, it was just all messed up.

-TT

DBinMD

DBinMD

Awards
  • Established
Overall, the workout went well today. My little Polar watch claimed that I burned over 1000 calories.

I need to set some goals, work towards them, monitor my progress, and make adjustments. A 300 lb bench press (free weight) is a realistic longer term goal. I also want to get back down to 20% bf. Lower, if possible. I haven't really thought much about my cario goals. I've moved from the recumbent cycle to the treadmill, and I seem to be making progress.

My short term goal is to max out the Freemotion chest press machine. It's plate loaded, and goes up to 290 lbs. I'm working it at 250 right now.
I was so excited to try it out again, after reading how I sould be able to do 270 on it, that I didn't wait long enough between work out days, and couldn't even push 250 that day. Maxing out plate loaded machines is a big morale booster for me.

For fun, I "played" on the Precor treadmill. Every company has a little different software. The Precor machine seemed to want to put me at a steep incline and have me walk the whole time. The heartrate monitor worked flawlessly today. Yesterday, it was just all messed up.

-TT
The only really important thing is that whether or not you’re making reasonable progress. I think I have an idea what BP machine you are talking about. For the first 3 months when I was only allowed to lift 10 lbs I did it on the machine. Afterwards I went to free weights and my bench jumped 70 lbs. I think the machine may keep you from using the proper form, just my opinion.

Re: either rude or just plain clueless people at the gym.
I don’t get that too often and people in my area can be pretty rude. The one I like the best was the woman who complained I was making too much noise dead lifting. My answer was I can’t help you.

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
The FreeMotion chest machine I'm using is their F800 Epic Chest. It's more like a traditional plate loaded chest machine, as opposed to the F600 machine that most people assiciate with FreeMotion.

I guess I didn't get the memo, but apparently today was "bring your gym bag to the gym floor" day. I almost tripped over a couple. I forgot to mention this earlier.

Yeah, when I was in college, we had one weight room. The women were pushing to have their own day, because they claimed that the guys were making scary noises by their grunting and such. :p

A while back, there was this funny guy that would make like Bruce Lee noises while he worked out. He was a hoot!!! It was hard to keep a straight face. Some days, the gym can be quite entertaining.

-TT

TINYTOAD

TINYTOAD

Awards
  • Established
Today was my "pull" day. After doing my pullups, I took a quick break, then headed over to the LifeFitness curl machine.

The curl machine looks as if it goes up to 200 lbs, but really doesn't.
I tried 200 pounds, and couldn't complete the rep, so I dropped it down to 170 and that worked.
My goal here is to be able to max out the machine.

However, I know darn well I can't curl 170 pounds, so I tried to figure out what was going on with the machine.
It appears that you only get about half the weight it shows.

I did my sets with the weight on "140," then went over to the free weights to try out curl bars and determine how much weight I really had.
I could curl the 80, but couldn't get the 90 to go, so the LifeFitness biceps curl appears to read double what you're actually lifting.

As a side note, its the triceps pushdown machines that are notorious for showing double the weight you're actually using. A surprising number of folks miss this.

I really wish my club had an iso-lateral biceps curl machine. I suppose I can just use one arm and get the same effect though.

-TT