Some natural relief with MileHighKratom (sponsored)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to heavyiron and Montego1 I was selected to log Mile High Kratom's Red Vein Thai.

mhk1.jpg

I've over the years experienced plenty of pain issues - from being diagnosed with knee arthritis at 25 (48 now) to breaking an ankle and needing plates, screws etc to repair it to torn hamstrings. Basically I've been beaten up pretty badly so have tried all different sorts of pain relief as well as having all sorts of nagging aches and soreness that really have made a mess of my sleep.

So I was pretty excited to try the red vein thai, for both its enjoyment as well as pain relief values. If you are interested in playing with Kratom yourself, they have a sampler pack that lets you try multiple strains at the same time, to see which suits your individual needs better.

Kratom Sampler Pack - milehighkratom.com

Don't know much about kratom? from Wikipedia's page

Mitragyna speciosa also known as ketum, kratom and kratumum,[2] is a tropical deciduous and evergreen tree in the coffee family (Rubiaceae) native to Southeast Asia in the Indochina and Malaysia floristic regions. M. speciosa is indigenous to Thailand and, despite growing naturally in the country, has been outlawed for 70 years and was originally banned because it was reducing the Thai government's tax revenue from opium distribution.[3]Its leaves are used for medicinal properties. It is psychoactive, and leaves are chewed to uplift mood and to treat health problems, and has been studied by school of pharmacy faculty member Christopher McCurdy. In his research, McCurdy reported that, "kratom has long been used for coughs, diarrhea, muscle aches and pain,” McCurdy said. “It is also used as a replacement for opium when opium isn’t available and has been used to wean people off (that narcotic).” Kratom behaves as a μ-opioid receptor agonist like morphine[4] and is used in the management of chronic pain, as well as recreationally.[5]
So pretty interesting for a variety of purposes. And thankfully only a few douchey states have created any laws against it. If anything though, that proves it's general effectiveness - that some of the states treat it the same as opium or marijuana.

There's a few different ways to take the kratom, but for me it boils down to parachuting or mixing into a "tea". I'd put it in capsules but it would take too many per dose. Normal doses run from 2g - 6 or even 8g. So the volume is still a little big for parachuting, but not too bad. I'm going to be using the scoop they included rather than actually weighing as from an initial test each scoop seemed to work out to pretty close to 2g.

mhk2.jpg

And away we go! I plan to do a bit of experimenting with dosage as well as do some research into any other fun uses for it - like how it holds up to cooking, etc. I will likely try some of the low end doses as right now i'm also just a few days into quitting smoking, and the stimulant effect is supposed to be better at small doses - as the euphorics don't reach the threshold to notice them.

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
Does this stuff actually give you a buzz of sorts? ?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks to heavyiron and Montego1 I was selected to log Mile High Kratom's Red Vein Thai.

I've over the years experienced plenty of pain issues - from being diagnosed with knee arthritis at 25 (48 now) to breaking an ankle and needing plates, screws etc to repair it to torn hamstrings. Basically I've been beaten up pretty badly so have tried all different sorts of pain relief as well as having all sorts of nagging aches and soreness that really have made a mess of my sleep.

So I was pretty excited to try the red vein thai, for both its enjoyment as well as pain relief values. If you are interested in playing with Kratom yourself, they have a sampler pack that lets you try multiple strains at the same time, to see which suits your individual needs better.

Kratom Sampler Pack - milehighkratom.com

Don't know much about kratom? from Wikipedia's page

So pretty interesting for a variety of purposes. And thankfully only a few douchey states have created any laws against it. If anything though, that proves it's general effectiveness - that some of the states treat it the same as opium or marijuana.

There's a few different ways to take the kratom, but for me it boils down to parachuting or mixing into a "tea". I'd put it in capsules but it would take too many per dose. Normal doses run from 2g - 6 or even 8g. So the volume is still a little big for parachuting, but not too bad. I'm going to be using the scoop they included rather than actually weighing as from an initial test each scoop seemed to work out to pretty close to 2g.

And away we go! I plan to do a bit of experimenting with dosage as well as do some research into any other fun uses for it - like how it holds up to cooking, etc. I will likely try some of the low end doses as right now i'm also just a few days into quitting smoking, and the stimulant effect is supposed to be better at small doses - as the euphorics don't reach the threshold to notice them.
Here we go!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're joking? !
It does feel something along those lines. I pretty regularly use ibuprofen with codeine myself. On an empty stomach, 2 scoops of this feels roughly like a 7.5mg Percocet or 25mg of codeine. not exactly identical, there's a little bit more stimulant effect to this. but along the same lines.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so I took 2 scoops (I probably should start weighing) at 4:30pm today. Came on fairly fast, and was quite a bit more pain relieving than the other kratom I've used. It also seems to have a pretty solid stimulant effect, as I noticed myself talking faster as well. Not quite a huge euphoric effect, which is nice for it to be able to be useful during the day. Some of the others have been higher on the euphoria scale which is great for a late night effect in place of alcohol but I need something I can manage to still work after taking. So far, this seems like a good choice for that. I'm not sure how else i'll be taking it over the weekend, but I definitely plan to take a single scoop early Monday morning and see how the working day goes.

jewgold

jewgold

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried this strain...so in for the effects.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How does it compare to Bali?
haven't tried the bali, so not sure.

Today I was doing a bunch of yard work and my knees were hurting extra bad so I decided to take 2 nurofen

http://www.nurofen.co.uk/our-products/pharmacy-strength/nurofen-plus/

vs the red vein thai. Honestly, I got better relief last night from the red thai

So on last night, after taking at 430, felt a good solid buzz plus nice strong anti inflammatory type effect within less than a half hour from 2 scoops, roughly 4g. A decent buzz effect lasted till around 730, at which point it started to slowly fade out. Probably some noticeable level of effect till 930pm

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sunday decided to try it in orange juice. took 2 scoops, not a very empty stomach though, it was fairly shortly after lunch. Similar effectiveness, virtual elimination of the normal daily nagging pains, light buzz. The buzz part was a good bit lighter, but also it seemed to last a little longer before it faded out.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Today I did a single scoop first thing in the morning in about 6oz of near boiling water, then after stirring in the red vein, added an orange spice tea bag. It was roughly 830am, with no prior food and just a cup of coffee to drink. felt a surprisingly strong amount of pain relief for just a single scoop vs 2. Definitely still better than NSAIDs, not quite as good as 2 scoops. Had a little bit of a buzz effect but not enough to interfere with work at all. effects seemed to last until about 1130, shortly before I ate lunch. Planning on doing another cup that way now. It went well with the orange spice tea as the flavor really hid.

for those who wonder on the taste of kratom i'd say its not dissimilar from some unflavored greens products. Done as a hot tea, it reminds me a lot smell + taste wise of Yerba Mate

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's very similar to Barleans Greens to me yeah....

It tastes like freshly cut hay smells like.... If that makes sense lol

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Haven't tried the Thai, but I like the Bali and the white vein Borneo.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so I've been continuing to use 2-3 scoops a day, split into separate doses anywhere from 3-5 hours apart. Most days just 2 scoops. Using it as separate 1 scoop servings it in flavored teas works out awesomely. The buzz level is just barely there with one scoop but the knee pain is just about completely gone. Whereas 2 scoops gives more buzz, but doesn't really reduce pain any further. Definitely works better than for the pain relief than the codeine with ibuprofen, which is amazing.

I do on and off get a little bit of stomach oddness from it. it seems to have no rhyme or reason. It's not related to the time of the dose, or whether I've eaten beforehand. It's not terrible or anything, just a little odd. a hint of upset with that feeling of being hungry and overfull at the same time. Seems to come on at roughly the same time the positive effects start, but ends much sooner, maybe 45-60 minutes after it starts

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually a meal eliminates the queezy feeling for me but, that's only if I take it on an empty stomach

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Usually a meal eliminates the queezy feeling for me but, that's only if I take it on an empty stomach
that does seem to help. It's not like it's worse than the queasiness of opiates for pain relief anyhow

today I tried it in some coffee, it worked but the taste kind of ruined the taste of the coffee more than it does with tea. 1 scoop at 8am keeps working till around 11-1130 which is just before lunch, so I can have another scoop then pre-eating which works well.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
story of my life right here. Made a fresh cup of tea with my pre lunch dose, went outside to water some plants and put the cup down. Not 2 minutes later, a bee lands on the edge of the cup and starts investigating, ending up going for a swim. I guess he'll die happy anyhow.

WP_20160315_11_55_47_Pro_LI.jpg

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
story of my life right here. Made a fresh cup of tea with my pre lunch dose, went outside to water some plants and put the cup down. Not 2 minutes later, a bee lands on the edge of the cup and starts investigating, ending up going for a swim. I guess he'll die happy anyhow.

View attachment 132659
Lol if you're going out might as well do it right.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I definitely miss it the days I forget to take it early. It amazes me that the pain relief effects are so great for my knee arthritis

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Careful with this stuff guys. Its addictive and if you get to taking it too much the withdrawals are way worse than opiate withdrawals. Just throwing that out there, do with it what you will

halfahardon

halfahardon

Awards
  • Established
Careful with this stuff guys. Its addictive and if you get to taking it too much the withdrawals are way worse than opiate withdrawals. Just throwing that out there, do with it what you will
Worse than opiates, like oxycontin. Come on I wouldn't think so

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Trust me ive been addicted to both. Oxycontin, methadone, heroin, dilaudid, all of it. Kratoms withdrawal symptoms top any of it. Its terrible. I literally just wanted to die. Believe me, dont believe me, whatever just giving fair warning.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've been thinking of picking up some more Kratom to try out. I stopped for a few months because of some issues. I ended up taking it multiple times a week at abou 8-12g and stopped cold turkey and was just fine.

heavyiron

heavyiron

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
It can be habit forming and different folks will experience different things so I would advise against using it daily and be careful not to take large amounts.

Like anything else it can be abused or not.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anyone who has been here at AM long enough has seen how something like prohormones or steroids can be addictive mentally as well :)

I'm sticking to a max of 3 days on then 1-2 off. Also sticking to relatively low doses (2-2.5g) taken 2-3 times during the day vs higher doses as for me its the analgesic + anti-inflammatory effects that are most important to me.

testosteronet

testosteronet

Awards
  • Established
Anyone who has been here at AM long enough has seen how something like prohormones or steroids can be addictive mentally as well :)
Really? Really!!!
Testosteronet Join Date 2/3/07,
1238 posts = slacker
EasyEJL Join Date 6/4/07,
31,979 posts = overachiever
Stats are nuts bro!

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so the 3 days on 2 off has worked out well. on the on days, I generally dose one at around 730am and again at around 11. That keeps me virtually pain free till around 3-4pm but without needing to go past a single scoop. So i'm not building any tolerances. On some days I have taken a 3rd dose at around 4, if the knees are really rough that day.

Really liking it. I'm definitely ordering more once i'm out, no question. Provides a perfect level of pain relief without significant side effects