soda = low glycemic carbs

hogiejoe

Banned
Awards
i was looking at the back of a pepsi(non caffienated) can and the 1st sugar listed was fructose which is low on the glycemic index. i think, corect me if i am wrong. are sodas not as bad as everyone makes them out to be? and what the hell is high fructose corn syrup?

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well If I remeber right high fructose corn syrup and fructose are diffrent.

MarcusG

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i was looking at the back of a pepsi(non caffienated) can and the 1st sugar listed was fructose which is low on the glycemic index. i think, corect me if i am wrong. are sodas not as bad as everyone makes them out to be? and what the hell is high fructose corn syrup?

HFCS is bad very bad.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
High fructose corn syrup is a mix of fructose and glucose. The percentage of each can vary also. So like I said it is much higher on the glycemic index than fructose.

MikeK

Awards
Hrrm, it must be pretty high on the list... I usualy just drink a can of soda after my insulin shot, never had a problem so far, and i take in about 40g for a 10iu shot.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hrrm, it must be pretty high on the list... I usualy just drink a can of soda after my insulin shot, never had a problem so far, and i take in about 40g for a 10iu shot.
i'd take in a bit more carbs for 10 ius of slin. I take in 40g for a 6iu, but u may be able to get away w/ it.

Personally everything i've read suggests 7-10g per iu except for one article that talked about low carbs while using slin. For me it's not worth the risk.

Also use dextrose or malto man, Caffeine while on slin isn't exactly the smartest way to go about this. "Even modest amounts of caffeine may increase symptoms of hypoglycemia.10 For this reason, caffeinated beverages (such as coffee, tea, and some soda pop) should be avoided."

10. Watson JM, Jenkins EJ, Hamilton P, et al. Influence of caffeine on the frequency and perception of hypoglycemia in free-living patients with type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2000;23:455–9.

You're probabaly okay since you take it in a moderate amount, but as i said before, better safe than sorry when it comes to slin.

JBlaze

JBlaze

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
i think, corect me if i am wrong. are sodas not as bad as everyone makes them out to be? and what the hell is high fructose corn syrup?
High fructose corn syrup is part of the reason why they are as bad as everyone makes them out to be.

Go on google and type in "high fructose corn syrup." Read a few websites. :thumbsup:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Davy25 Nutrition / Health 32
Supplements 39
The_Old_Guy Supplements 20
Nutrition / Health 3
Kickstart7 Nutrition / Health 28