Baking Soda

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
So is anyone here dosing ~25g Sodium Bicarbonate ~60minutes pre-training? New data out showing benefit for even resistance training with 3 minute rest intervals (+27% Squats, +6% Bench). 66% responder rate, hope I'm not in the 33% - going to try it if I can stomach it. Another study shows Serial Loading (smaller multiple daily) also works, and there are some recipe's for inclusion in pre-training meals too. SuppVersity.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Never used 25g, that's a ton! I have experimented with using 5-10g pre workout though as a lactic acid buffer. Really helps with higher volume leg days, the "burn" you typically get in your quads is significantly reduced.

25g IMO is too much, that would add about 5000mg+ sodium to your daily intake. This could have a large impact on your blood pressure. I read the suppversity article though, its definitely an interesting study. I would recommend less than 25g though, also because I feel that 25g would destroy anyone's digestion and cause an upset stomach during training

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Sodium and BP is genetic - but yeah, if you are genetically pre-disposed - don't do it. I'm fine with sodium, I actually add it to everything. I'm just going by the amounts listed in the studies, but thanks for the warning. AAMF, I think I'm going to down 25g right now as a test - I'm on a two week break from anything but brisk walking (self imposed, no injuries) so lets try it! :) BRB...

Ok, that was no big deal at all. I can easily see adding this to my Ergonine based PrWO. A 20cc Scoop was 25g. Added it to 20oz of cold water in a shaker cup. Downed it no problem, didn't even taste that salty. I'll give it an hour and report any gastro issues.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Sodium and BP is genetic - but yeah, if you are genetically pre-disposed - don't do it. I'm fine with sodium, I actually add it to everything. I'm just going by the amounts listed in the studies, but thanks for the warning. AAMF, I think I'm going to down 25g right now as a test - I'm on a two week break from anything but brisk walking (self imposed, no injuries) so lets try it! :) BRB...

Ok, that was no big deal at all. I can easily see adding this to my Ergonine based PrWO. A 20cc Scoop was 25g. Added it to 20oz of cold water in a shaker cup. Downed it no problem, didn't even taste that salty. I'll give it an hour and report any gastro issues.
Interested to see how it goes! Good luck man

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Been 30 minutes - no issues....

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Hahaha I thought this was going to be a thread about cooking up crack cocaine.

Kind of disappointed it isn't tho..........

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
Almost 90 min... not so much as a burp. Well, looks like I found some virtually free "gains" :) Try it, it's not as bad as it sounds.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ugh, haha, dat sodium pump tho. I'm surprised you haven't had any stomach upset.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Be sure to keep k+ in check as well :D

TheGoodLife35

TheGoodLife35

Awards
Nice, I add some to my apple cider vinegar pre bed but I'll start taking some before workouts as well now. Thank you for posting

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
It is a sick dose!!! I have tried it once.. Made me sick and almost made a boo boo in ma pants! :D

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
I laughed at your pain
So did i!! At first...But when it feels like your blowing sand out you tail pipe it not funny anymore :D!!!

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
It is a sick dose!!! I have tried it once.. Made me sick and almost made a boo boo in ma pants! :D
There is another study that looked at loading in intervals throughout the day to avoid gastro distress.

Results were still on point.

I'll see if I can dig up the study.

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
There is another study that looked at loading in intervals throughout the day to avoid gastro distress.

Results were still on point.

I'll see if I can dig up the study.
Hmm i think i will stick to some andros :D hahahaha! But hey let me read it if you can find it. Please rturn me in to a Demi god :saevilw:

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
Hmm i think i will stick to some andros :D hahahaha! But hey let me read it if you can find it. Please rturn me in to a Demi god :saevilw:
Those Andros will be rolling on down from Mt Olympus very soon my friend : )

DennisTheDane

DennisTheDane

Awards
  • Established
Those Andros will be rolling on down from Mt Olympus very soon my friend : )
I know!!! i have a man on the inside hahaha! cant wait to what OL is up to...And how pricing will be!! im signing up to be a ginny pig :D

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's a lot of freakin sodium bro! I use to use 1/4 tsp for renal health.

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
That's a lot of freakin sodium bro! I use to use 1/4 tsp for renal health.
~6g. Don't know about you, but I sweat like a whore in church when I train. I monitor BP regularly too - 115/65 lately. The data looks solid and if sodium doesn't genetically do you in, there doesn't seem to be a worry in the literature. I'm going to start it and monitor, but I'm not worried.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
~6g. Don't know about you, but I sweat like a whore in church when I train. I monitor BP regularly too - 115/65 lately. The data looks solid and if sodium doesn't genetically do you in, there doesn't seem to be a worry in the literature. I'm going to start it and monitor, but I'm not worried.
As long as you monitor it.. you are good. Same concept as AAS.. if your bp goes up, either stop or get it under control.. sounds like your a smart man.