SNS Elite Curcumin - The New Generation in Curcumin Supplementation Intro Thread

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't think that there is even any potential for curcumin to negatively impact workout results.

To each their own, but I think that some people overcomplicate and overthink the crap out of stuff like that imo.
Yeah I think I’ve seen there’s some research showing things like Vitamin E and NAC can decrease training adaptation. But then I think there’s also research showing vitamins C and E actually support muscle growth in the elderly. So there may be a difference in context. Overall, it’s not something I’ve ever worried too much about. Some antioxidants support nitric oxide levels and are common in pump formulas, and you sure as heck don’t see people saying their NO supps are killing their gains.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I agree with that about NSAIDs but I think some people take it to extremes worrying about it with basic antioxidants like Vitamin C and Curcumin and things like that.

For example, a good curcumin supplement you're hoping that it will be absorbed efficiently and stay in your system; that's why I'm a fan of dosing being spaced out 8 to 12 hours apart. So by that theory, since you're wanting it to stay in the system anyway, I think that worrying about dosing based around workout times isn't as big of an issue as with NSAIDs.
I think it is also one of those situations where people don't want to hear that it isn't cut and dry and there isn't one singular answer.

Even with NSAIDs and high dose antioxidants we see that in older individuals (higher potential stress markers?) we see a positive benefit to taking them compared to younger.

Also most people probably are not popping high doses of these things right before training and if they need to it potentially may mean they may need it to get through training (which is probably better than totally avoiding in some scenarios).

Personally I usually would just take my health stuff or Curcumin split AM-PM and not really overthink it.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I think I’ve seen there’s some research showing things like Vitamin E and NAC can decrease training adaptation. But then I think there’s also research showing vitamins C and E actually support muscle growth in the elderly. So there may be a difference in context. Overall, it’s not something I’ve ever worried too much about. Some antioxidants support nitric oxide levels and are common in pump formulas, and you sure as heck don’t see people saying their NO supps are killing their gains.
Right as I post I see this. Agreed!

One thing to keep in mind is many of these nitric oxide boosting ingredients is they don't tend to be as related with potential hampering of effects anyways.

Part of the reason I am so big on so many of these adaptogens and things is they tend to "balance" stuff out. Being out of balance I feel is more the issue than one thing being "right" or "wrong".

Context is key.

That said I don't want to get too off topic here, curcumin is dope. Even if it had some slight performance decrements it is so helpful in so many other areas I'd take that trade off (not even saying it is). Most people who fret over this stuff aren't near worth worrying about it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I agree. I think its one of those things that even if people were doing things 100% correctly (which none of us ever are) then it likely still wouldn't provide a real world difference in benefits. I sometimes joke that the stress response from worrying about it likely causes more detriment to results than the antioxidants to themselves haha.

I see some people going to the extremes of not even taking antioxidants because of it and its like - come on guys, if they prevent just one minor sickness a year, you probably lose more results and progress from being sick than they'd hold you back from even if the theory behind it was true.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think it is also one of those situations where people don't want to hear that it isn't cut and dry and there isn't one singular answer.

Even with NSAIDs and high dose antioxidants we see that in older individuals (higher potential stress markers?) we see a positive benefit to taking them compared to younger.

Also most people probably are not popping high doses of these things right before training and if they need to it potentially may mean they may need it to get through training (which is probably better than totally avoiding in some scenarios).

Personally I usually would just take my health stuff or Curcumin split AM-PM and not really overthink it.
I absolutely agree. It's like Hyde said in his post, the people popping high dose NSAID's around the workout time may be doing some slight holding themselves back but for most doing that, the alternative may be not being able to train at all, so there's still a net gain in terms of results.

I'm the same as you, I do my Elite Curcumin and other vitamins/daily use supps split dosing morning and night about 8 to 12 hours apart and I don't really think anything of it unless I see a thread like this.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well, we do know NSAIDs do blunt the hypertrophy response significantly. So the theory is other anti-inflammatories can also inhibit the normal stress response.

BUT, we also know that if you don’t train, you will seriously not make any progress, so I tell people don’t take Ibuprofen etc periWO unless it’s the difference between you making the session or not, but if it comes down to that then do it. Doing the exercise is much more important.
Not sure if you subscribe to MASS, but volume 7, issue 1 had a good write up from Dr. Trexler about the nuanced relationship between NSAID’s and hypertrophy. Below was the study he reviewed, and here is a quote from the extract of the reviewed study:

“Currently, only 2 studies reported that ibuprofen has a differential effect from placebo on muscle hypertrophy. One study reported that 1,200 mg of ibuprofen augments muscle hypertrophy in older adults. Another study found that the same dose of ibuprofen attenuated muscle hypertrophy in young adults. These contrasting findings are likely explained by the differences in inflammatory levels between the age groups. Older adults generally have higher levels of inflammation, which is why an anti-inflammatory medication might have contributed to muscle hypertrophy. Studies that used lower doses of ibuprofen, such as 400 mg, did not report a negative or positive effect of ibuprofen use.”

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Not sure if you subscribe to MASS, but volume 7, issue 1 had a good write up from Dr. Trexler about the nuanced relationship between NSAID’s and hypertrophy. Below was the study he reviewed, and here is a quote from the extract of the reviewed study:

“Currently, only 2 studies reported that ibuprofen has a differential effect from placebo on muscle hypertrophy. One study reported that 1,200 mg of ibuprofen augments muscle hypertrophy in older adults. Another study found that the same dose of ibuprofen attenuated muscle hypertrophy in young adults. These contrasting findings are likely explained by the differences in inflammatory levels between the age groups. Older adults generally have higher levels of inflammation, which is why an anti-inflammatory medication might have contributed to muscle hypertrophy. Studies that used lower doses of ibuprofen, such as 400 mg, did not report a negative or positive effect of ibuprofen use.”

I think the main relevant takeaway there though is that 1200 mg. of ibuprofen exceeds the dosage strength of even prescription ibuprofen and that lower studies (the dosages commonly used) didn't have any effect at all. Which basically translates that for the average person, the whole issue is a mute point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My main concern discussing this in this thread is that it is likely confusing to people reading and considering Curcumin because it really has nothing to do with Curcumin supplementation.

Elite Curcumin will NOT hinder muscle gains in any way, even if a person pops 2 capsules in the middle of their workout. I'm not saying to do that, I would space them morning and night, but just saying that I don't want anyone reading about Elite Curcumin to get confused and get the wrong impression in this thread.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I think the main relevant takeaway there though is that 1200 mg. of ibuprofen exceeds the dosage strength of even prescription ibuprofen and that lower studies (the dosages commonly used) didn't have any effect at all. Which basically translates that for the average person, the whole issue is a mute point.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My main concern discussing this in this thread is that it is likely confusing to people reading and considering Curcumin because it really has nothing to do with Curcumin supplementation.

Elite Curcumin will NOT hinder muscle gains in any way, even if a person pops 2 capsules in the middle of their workout. I'm not saying to do that, I would space them morning and night, but just saying that I don't want anyone reading about Elite Curcumin to get confused and get the wrong impression in this thread.
I know I said high dose NSAIDs have been linked to impacted muscle growth/repair, as referenced above by others, so I am have always kept anything anti-inflammatory away from training out of an abundance of caution. BUT I just came across this abstract on Curcumin and think it’s too awesome not to share:

^In this 2012 RAT STUDY, they bound hind legs of rats for 8 days, then released the legs to recover/regrow for the next 10 days. They injected half the rats with Curcumin throughout the 18 days, and the other half with placebo.

Muscle atrophy was similar at the 8 day mark for all rats, but after the 10 additional recovery days, the rats who had been injected with Curcumin the entire throughout the 18 day total showed bigger, better recovered legs.

Taking Curcumin during the period of catabolism (like training would be) and post promoted superior muscle regrowth.

Maybe I will experiment with periWO administration going forward!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Controlled Labs Green Bulge creatine product included curcumin, and it was one of the best creatine products ever (along with OG Clout).

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know I said high dose NSAIDs have been linked to impacted muscle growth/repair, as referenced above by others, so I am have always kept anything anti-inflammatory away from training out of an abundance of caution. BUT I just came across this abstract on Curcumin and think it’s too awesome not to share:

^In this 2012 RAT STUDY, they bound hind legs of rats for 8 days, then released the legs to recover/regrow for the next 10 days. They injected half the rats with Curcumin throughout the 18 days, and the other half with placebo.

Muscle atrophy was similar at the 8 day mark for all rats, but after the 10 additional recovery days, the rats who had been injected with Curcumin the entire throughout the 18 day total showed bigger, better recovered legs.

Taking Curcumin during the period of catabolism (like training would be) and post promoted superior muscle regrowth.

Maybe I will experiment with periWO administration going forward!
Thank you for sharing. That's interesting, I don't think I'd seen that study myself, or if I had, I'd forgotten about it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I wanted to bump this thread now that I’ve gotten to use Elite Curcumin some. I’ve switched my wife to it the last couple weeks and tried it a few times after I was particularly sore from some heavy benching and squatting.

The recommended 2 cap serving works fantastically, and unlike many other standardized oral Curcumin products I’ve used this product is not messy at all (many others leak from the caps and stain anything that touch them). A dose of this product definitely outperformed the 900mg caps of standardized 95% curcuminoids we were using with 15mg Bioperine previously after intense training days in our program.

It is affordable, clean, and works better than any oral product I’ve used while only needing just 2 capsules. I also suspect many folks could benefit daily from just a single cap even.

Best oral Curcumin product I’ve tried

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Great product , i keep it at work.
I got my mom on it as well and really enjoying it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wanted to bump this thread now that I’ve gotten to use Elite Curcumin some. I’ve switched my wife to it the last couple weeks and tried it a few times after I was particularly sore from some heavy benching and squatting.

The recommended 2 cap serving works fantastically, and unlike many other standardized oral Curcumin products I’ve used this product is not messy at all (many others leak from the caps and stain anything that touch them). A dose of this product definitely outperformed the 900mg caps of standardized 95% curcuminoids we were using with 15mg Bioperine previously after intense training days in our program.

It is affordable, clean, and works better than any oral product I’ve used while only needing just 2 capsules. I also suspect many folks could benefit daily from just a single cap even.

Best oral Curcumin product I’ve tried
Thank you. I'm very glad to hear that you and your wife are liking it.

Elite Curcumin is a great product and I feel like it often gets overlooked on here.