SNS CLA Xtreme

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recently picked up a few bottles of SNS CLA Xtreme for super cheap during the Black Friday sale. I've come across conflicting studies pertaining to the effectiveness of this particular substance, with some purporting fat loss benefits, some purporting lean body mass gains, some showing no benefits at all for supplementation of CLA, and even some showing some serious negative effects as well.

My wife is currently on a fat loss cycle at the moment. She has suffered from high blood pressure for a few years now, and the supplementation plan I've put together for her has a strong focus on improving insulin sensitivity, increasing brown fat activity, and burning excess body fat while avoiding anything with potential to increase her already too high blood pressure. I was considering giving the CLA to her to utilize, however I've come across a few studies which showed a decrease in insulin sensitivity or ability to induce insulin resistance in overweight or obese individuals. I'm hoping that Steve from SNS can chime in here to discuss the potential benefits and drawbacks of CLA supplementation to allow me to formulate a plan for how to effectively utilize the bottles that I have.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've never heard of one single legitimate instance of a negative side effect with CLA by any brand.

Anytime you want me to reply to something, you're always welcome to tag me. That can be done by putting the @ sign and then my screen name. For example, @sns8778 and I'll for example tag you @max silver

The reality and truth about CLA supplementation is that it is a good fat loss ingredient that works a lot better for some people than others. Some people get really good results from it, while others don't see much if anything from it.

You know how that goes then - instead of people chalking it up to it being something that doesn't work well for them, a lot of people complain over and over about how something doesn't work - but in reality it works great for some people. I'll use me for example here - Alpha GPC is absolutely useless for me as I get zero off of reasonable doses of it and headaches off high doses of it. But I don't bash it and tell everyone it doesn't work - instead, I just say it doesn't work well for me but it seems to work well for some people, but I much prefer Choline Citrate.

I wrote out an in depth piece to the insulin sensitivity part of this a couple years back but couldn't find it in search. But in short, no, you have nothing to worry about at all. She may try it and it may work great for her; the worst case is she doesn't experience great results from it, but its not going to hurt. It's also very good for improving lipid profiles in some people.

I'll give you a good example - one of the graphic artists we work with. She eats like absolute crap but is almost like a miracle responder to it. She's not big to begin with, so losing a little bit of weight is a big % of her body-weight. She started using it back right after Black Friday herself and this is someone that doesn't work out and doesn't eat right, and she managed to lose 7 lbs. between then and now off changing nothing. For perspective too, she only weighs about 125 anyway so that's over 5% of her body-weight. (I like it myself but doesn't work like that on me haha).

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome stuff, thank you for the super fast reply. I'll be sure to keep the tag option in mind in the future. (y)

What do you recommend for dosing for CLA? I see the label recommends 3-6 capsules per day. My wife is about 130 pounds or so.

Do you suspect CLA would be useful for a recomp phase? That's what I'm working towards at the moment.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
i know your asking steve, but ill quickly throw in my thoughts and person i know personally on it.

myself .. i only tested it at 3-4 caps with no issues. i couldn't run it for longer bc i had to test out different supplements but from what i remember i enjoyed the run and

I know someone who takes 6caps .. 2 breakfast, 2 lunch, 2 dinner with no issues and have been quite happy with the results.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Awesome stuff, thank you for the super fast reply. I'll be sure to keep the tag option in mind in the future. (y)

What do you recommend for dosing for CLA? I see the label recommends 3-6 capsules per day. My wife is about 130 pounds or so.

Do you suspect CLA would be useful for a recomp phase? That's what I'm working towards at the moment.
I do think its useful for recomp.

Dose wise, I think she would be fine to do either the 3 or 6 per day. The girl I mentioned in my above post that has done so well with it started at 3 per day and liked it so much she went up to 6 per day.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've never heard of one single legitimate instance of a negative side effect with CLA by any brand.

Anytime you want me to reply to something, you're always welcome to tag me. That can be done by putting the @ sign and then my screen name. For example, @sns8778 and I'll for example tag you @max silver

The reality and truth about CLA supplementation is that it is a good fat loss ingredient that works a lot better for some people than others. Some people get really good results from it, while others don't see much if anything from it.

You know how that goes then - instead of people chalking it up to it being something that doesn't work well for them, a lot of people complain over and over about how something doesn't work - but in reality it works great for some people. I'll use me for example here - Alpha GPC is absolutely useless for me as I get zero off of reasonable doses of it and headaches off high doses of it. But I don't bash it and tell everyone it doesn't work - instead, I just say it doesn't work well for me but it seems to work well for some people, but I much prefer Choline Citrate.

I wrote out an in depth piece to the insulin sensitivity part of this a couple years back but couldn't find it in search. But in short, no, you have nothing to worry about at all. She may try it and it may work great for her; the worst case is she doesn't experience great results from it, but its not going to hurt. It's also very good for improving lipid profiles in some people.

I'll give you a good example - one of the graphic artists we work with. She eats like absolute crap but is almost like a miracle responder to it. She's not big to begin with, so losing a little bit of weight is a big % of her body-weight. She started using it back right after Black Friday herself and this is someone that doesn't work out and doesn't eat right, and she managed to lose 7 lbs. between then and now off changing nothing. For perspective too, she only weighs about 125 anyway so that's over 5% of her body-weight. (I like it myself but doesn't work like that on me haha).

In the last 25 years the only problem I have seen with CLA, and this is after selling 100's if not 1000's of bottles over that time period:

1. Unrealistic expectations: now this is something EVERY single fat loss ingredient ever released has been a "victim" of. The initial studies did set the bar pretty high but the average purchasers of CLA when it was first being offered were often times typical long-term yoyo dieters who planned on changing nothing other than taking the pills. When they did not have abs in two months they wrote it off. This is NOT CLA's fault.

2. The only side effect I have ever noted is, and this was with me personally, nausea when taking LARGE doses on an EMPTY stomach. I'm talking 10 1000mg softgels down the hatch, completely empty stomach. Did not sit well. I didn't get sick or anything but I certainly never did it again. When taking in smaller doses I did NOT have this issue and with food I can take as much as I want, no issues.

3. The 3-6 softgels a day MAY be an issue for some. I personally don't care in the least but I am extreme. If general public person A buys CLA and then only takes one a day they will of course be disappointed.

As for insulin resistance the only way I could see this ever happening would be if someone added an absolutely ridiculous amount to their diet thus creating a huge calorie surplus. If you took an obese individual and added 1000 calories to their intake via CLA that would be a negative. Since NO ONE is going to do that, money alone preventing such, I see no issue.

TLDR: Take CLA at appropriate doses(3-6g,) be reasonable with expectations, and take them with meals.

If you want to read MORE than what I wrote check out:

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
In the last 25 years the only problem I have seen with CLA, and this is after selling 100's if not 1000's of bottles over that time period:

1. Unrealistic expectations: now this is something EVERY single fat loss ingredient ever released has been a "victim" of. The initial studies did set the bar pretty high but the average purchasers of CLA when it was first being offered were often times typical long-term yoyo dieters who planned on changing nothing other than taking the pills. When they did not have abs in two months they wrote it off. This is NOT CLA's fault.

2. The only side effect I have ever noted is, and this was with me personally, nausea when taking LARGE doses on an EMPTY stomach. I'm talking 10 1000mg softgels down the hatch, completely empty stomach. Did not sit well. I didn't get sick or anything but I certainly never did it again. When taking in smaller doses I did NOT have this issue and with food I can take as much as I want, no issues.

3. The 3-6 softgels a day MAY be an issue for some. I personally don't care in the least but I am extreme. If general public person A buys CLA and then only takes one a day they will of course be disappointed.

As for insulin resistance the only way I could see this ever happening would be if someone added an absolutely ridiculous amount to their diet thus creating a huge calorie surplus. If you took an obese individual and added 1000 calories to their intake via CLA that would be a negative. Since NO ONE is going to do that, money alone preventing such, I see no issue.

TLDR: Take CLA at appropriate doses(3-6g,) be reasonable with expectations, and take them with meals.

If you want to read MORE than what I wrote check out:
I read through some of that thread and came across multiple mentions of fish oil and CLA competing for absorption. Do you think this is likely an issue at this point?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I read through some of that thread and came across multiple mentions of fish oil and CLA competing for absorption. Do you think this is likely an issue at this point?
I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but I don't think its an issue at all.

I don't use Fish Oil, but I do use Algal Oil which is even higher in DHA than Fish Oil is and I don't space it any particular time away from CLA.

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know the question wasn't addressed to me, but I don't think its an issue at all.

I don't use Fish Oil, but I do use Algal Oil which is even higher in DHA than Fish Oil is and I don't space it any particular time away from CLA.
Thanks for the reply. I thought that particular suggestion sounded a little "bro-sciencey" so I figured I would ask the question here to see if that line of thinking still holds true.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the reply. I thought that particular suggestion sounded a little "bro-sciencey" so I figured I would ask the question here to see if that line of thinking still holds true.
I think it was an example of how information and knowledge evolves over time imo.