Smelling ammonia when I workout??

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok so I know I’ve been posting a lot but hear me out lol. I noticed a few weeks ago on heavy leg press drop sets that I could smell ammonia and it kind of freaked me out but I brushed it off. I kept noticing it every workout though and once just while I was driving. Tonight I hit the locker room and WHOA, it hit me hard. Like smelling salts hard! To the point where I said, “ok I don’t think I should keep shrugging this off, I can smell straight ammonia/cat piss when I breathe and it stings” I’m currently trying to just relax here at the gym and wait it out like usual but it hit me so hard that it’s almost dizzying this time. I’m not doing keto or low carb high protein, high carb/protein low fats right now. I’m not freaking out really, and I’m going to ask my doctor ASAP, but it’s the weirdest thing. What can you make of this? I almost thought this was attributed to the alcohol or something in my test but that was WAY too strong and too far away from my shot to be that.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Are you training fasted? I’ve noticed this smell from longer, prolonged high intensity cardio workouts when training fasted. I’ve read it’s usually a sign of your body breaking down protein for energy, which probably isn’t a good thing.

In for other info though.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like you burned through glycogen, and started to produce ketones.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have some pretty intense workouts but I wouldn’t think I’d produce ketones, but I guess that’s a good thing when cutting right?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Are you training fasted? I’ve noticed this smell from longer, prolonged high intensity cardio workouts when training fasted. I’ve read it’s usually a sign of your body breaking down protein for energy, which probably isn’t a good thing.

In for other info though.
I don’t train fasted, light meal beforehand with usually 50g protein and 50-75g carbs. I train in a hoodie right now and my hoodie/clothes don’t smell like ammonia.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I read somewhere that ammonia smell arises when your body uses protein for fuel -or amino acids. Indicator that you should up carbs -or fat in your diet.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have some pretty intense workouts but I wouldn’t think I’d produce ketones, but I guess that’s a good thing when cutting right?
Ketosis Breath*Causes. ... Most describe*ketosis breath*as fruity and even*smelling of*acetone. Some also notice an*ammonia*type*of smell*on their*breath. Keto*breath*is also often accompanied by a metallic taste in the mouth.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&********web&rct=j&url=https://www.kissmyketo.com/blogs/tips/6-ways-to-treat-ketosis-breath&ved=2ahUKEwji4qqFkoPgAhUi5oMKHX_dAJoQFjACegQIDhAO&usg=AOvVaw0uGJFDu025oOQGv5T6duBv

Once you burn through glycogen, the liver will produce ketones as fuel. It will do that OVER turning your muscle into fuel. If you are cutting, it makes sense.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And yeah, it's a good thing.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I read somewhere that ammonia smell arises when your body uses protein for fuel -or amino acids. Indicator that you should up carbs -or fat in your diet.
I was already doing 215g carbs a day haha. Less today so I can drop some water. Guess you can burn through anything with enough work.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I was already doing 215g carbs a day haha. Less today so I can drop some water. Guess you can burn through anything with enough work.
Pretty sure the muscle can hold more carbs than 215. So yeah, you can burn through that pretty quick with a good session.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Its only a good thing when you cut, right?
Not necessarily. I am in ketosis, and slow bulking. So I am producing ketones. If one is diabetic, and not trying to produce ketones, and they eat carbs throughout the day; they probably have a bad issue; ketoacidosis. Basically diabetes complications.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not necessarily. I am in ketosis, and slow bulking. So I am producing ketones. If one is diabetic, and not trying to produce ketones, and they eat carbs throughout the day; they probably have a bad issue; ketoacidosis. Basically diabetes complications.
That talk caught me totally off guard. I always thought its almost impossible to build lean mass in ketosis. You learn something new every day.
Also, the ammonia smell I always thought to be detrimental, because you burn protein as fuel....

A quick check with google actually confirms this... but hey, I'm absolutely no expert in nutrition.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That talk caught me totally off guard. I always thought its almost impossible to build lean mass in ketosis. You learn something new every day.
Also, the ammonia smell I always thought to be detrimental, because you burn protein as fuel....

A quick check with google actually confirms this... but hey, I'm absolutely no expert in nutrition.
The body will revert to burning fat for fuel, converting it to ketones before eating lean mass. Gluconeogensis is the process where lean mass is converted to glucose. The body may do that very minimally as it is demand base, but the main. Alternate fuel is ketones. When out of glycogen, it switches to diesel, mean ketones. You can build muscle in ketosis, it is anabolic regardless of what some think. I personally do a variation where I incorporate carbs because I like the taste of carbs

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The body will revert to burning fat for fuel, converting it to ketones before eating lean mass. Gluconeogensis is the process where lean mass is converted to glucose. The body may do that very minimally as it is demand base, but the main. Alternate fuel is ketones. When out of glycogen, it switches to diesel, mean ketones. You can build muscle in ketosis, it is anabolic regardless of what some think. I personally do a variation where I incorporate carbs because I like the taste of carbs
So you think Brain5ick is with 215gr carbs/d in ketosis? Always thought under 100gr of carbs (more like 30-40) is needed to guarantee ketosis. See? I'm completely misinformed, I guess. Thinking about it, that can not be generalized, as it would depend on activity level (cardio), right?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So you think Brain5ick is with 215gr carbs/d in ketosis? Always thought under 100gr of carbs (more like 30-40) is needed to guarantee ketosis. See? I'm completely misinformed, I guess. Thinking about it, that can not be generalized, as it would depend on activity level (cardio), right?
That itself sounds kind of odd to me. Like I said my workouts are very intense but to burn off 215g carbs (I think around 175g during workout time) so I’d have to burn off around 700cal. Actually after my math with my workouts and cardio I could actually see it. 15m cardio pre workout and 10m cardio afterwards at my intensity is around 250cal. Lifting is heavy weight lat pulldowns for 15 superset with tricep pushdowns for 15 and I do that for 5 sets with about 20-30 second breaks in between. Plate loaded rows going up in weight 12x4. Cable rows 140lbs 15x3. Bent over barbell rows 155lbs 15/12/10/10/8. Dumbbell pullover 8x3 superset with skull crushers til failure. Barbell shrugs 225lbs 25x3-4 superset with Romanian deadlifts 8/8/8. Underhand grip lat pulldown 180lbs 12x4 or until failure. Heavy T bar rows 12/10/10/8. End with 10 minutes on the stair stepper on level 8 (at least that’s what it says on my machine, I know they vary).
Oh! Almost forgot, I did abs too haha. Machine crunches 20x4 superset with ab coaster for 20 “reps”, then hanging leg raises 10x2 superset with windmills x8. So that was everything I did tonight, I guess I could see that burning off 700 calories.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think MrKleen73 and The Solution could shed a light on this.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That itself sounds kind of odd to me. Like I said my workouts are very intense but to burn off 215g carbs (I think around 175g during workout time) so I’d have to burn off around 700cal. Actually after my math with my workouts and cardio I could actually see it. 15m cardio pre workout and 10m cardio afterwards at my intensity is around 250cal. Lifting is heavy weight lat pulldowns for 15 superset with tricep pushdowns for 15 and I do that for 5 sets with about 20-30 second breaks in between. Plate loaded rows going up in weight 12x4. Cable rows 140lbs 15x3. Bent over barbell rows 155lbs 15/12/10/10/8. Dumbbell pullover 8x3 superset with skull crushers til failure. Barbell shrugs 225lbs 25x3-4 superset with Romanian deadlifts 8/8/8. Underhand grip lat pulldown 180lbs 12x4 or until failure. Heavy T bar rows 12/10/10/8. End with 10 minutes on the stair stepper on level 8 (at least that’s what it says on my machine, I know they vary).
Oh! Almost forgot, I did abs too haha. Machine crunches 20x4 superset with ab coaster for 20 “reps”, then hanging leg raises 10x2 superset with windmills x8. So that was everything I did tonight, I guess I could see that burning off 700 calories.
How heavy are your T-bar rows? Just checking... ;)

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Decent weight! Doing good!
I knew I was doing good after puking hahaha. Super excited to see what I’ll be capable of after this bpc run because honestly the shoulder injury I’ve had for so long has been really holding me back.

zunteck

zunteck

Awards
I notice this also ... I am on keto diet and man depends if I do cardio then I reek or atleast smell that ****.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s protein.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I know my protein intake is high enough when my sweat smells like cat piss.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hairygrandpa

A quick check with google actually confirms this..
This^^^ keto or not, this is not a good thing to smell ammonia when working out, it is counter productive of trying to build muscle

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
hairygrandpa

This^^^ keto or not, this is not a good thing to smell ammonia when working out, it is counter productive of trying to build muscle
If you’re burning off your amino content then either glycogen is being heavily stored or there isn’t any to store or burn. Seems like that would be a good thing in some cases, and the only thing if on keto. Because that’s keto.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
To be in a constant state of ketosis all day, one should consume typically less than 50g carbs throughout the day, and that would include fiber. Now someone that eats lower carb, like OP, he is not producing ketones all day, but when he works out, and expends the glucose/glycogen that he has stored, he will be in ketosis temporarily. Once he eats again, he will be out of it.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
A normal functioning body is not going to turn to muscle protein as the main source of fuel after glycogen is expent, that is error. There may be very minimal amount of gluconeogensis, but it WILL switch to fat burning for fuel.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you’re burning off your amino content then either glycogen is being heavily stored or there isn’t any to store or burn. Seems like that would be a good thing in some cases, and the only thing if on keto. Because that’s keto.
But OP consumes 200+gr/d carbs. Not willingly doing keto. IMHO, he should implement something like karbolyn intra workout -or just eat a carb meal before workouts.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
But OP consumes 200+gr/d carbs. Not willingly doing keto. IMHO, he should implement something like karbolyn intra workout -or just eat a carb meal before workouts.
Right, even so, it won't negatively impact him to be in ketosis after a workout temporarily. His insulin sensitivity will be heightened, and when he does consume carbs after his workout, they should slurp up into his muscle readily.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Right, even so, it won't negatively impact him to be in ketosis after a workout temporarily. His insulin sensitivity will be heightened, and when he does consume carbs after his workout, they should slurp up into his muscle readily.
You mean, if he likes the smell, to keep doing what he does? :)

I had that ammonia problem once. The stink would not get out of the clothing even after repeated washing. The smell might keep you alert and awake though. Hehe!

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
On second thought, if you truly smell like ammonia, and it is coming off of your sweat, it could be a sign of liver or kidney damage. Worse case scenario. Or just consuming too much protein. Watch the short video.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On second thought, if you truly smell like ammonia, and it is coming off of your sweat, it could be a sign of liver or kidney damage. Worse case scenario. Or just consuming too much protein. Watch the short video.
Good info here! For OP, who is not on a ketogenic diet, it means:

-as long as he does not have a liver -and/or kidney problem, no worry
-his protein intake maybe too high -and/or his carb intake may be too low
-eat more veggies

He can:
-keep stinking
-or take in more carbs

Correct?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good info here! For OP, who is not on a ketogenic diet, it means:

-as long as he does not have a liver -and/or kidney problem, no worry
-his protein intake maybe too high -and/or his carb intake may be too low
-eat more veggies

He can:
-keep stinking
-or take in more carbs

Correct?
Correct, and lower protein.

What is protein intake at OP?

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Correct, and lower protein.
If his protein is on point (we don't know how much he consumes daily),
maybe lowering protein before workouts and loading it after gym.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If his protein is on point (we don't know how much he consumes daily),
maybe lowering protein before workouts and loading it after gym.
Have to find out his intake amount and timing. I know that my breath has been keto breath when in ketosis, but I have never smelled bodily like ammonia. My sweet doesn't have a smell to it. I take at most 1g of protein per lb of body weight.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I take in 215g of protein as well. Like I said the ammonia smell isn’t on my clothes or anything. It’s odd.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I take in 215g of protein as well. Like I said the ammonia smell isn’t on my clothes or anything. It’s odd.
Your present weight? Present BF percentage? It is a good thing it isn't on your sweat.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If it is just on your breath after training, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Exactly why I said what I did.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I guess my experiences are different. I have done quite a few bouts of Keto in the past and have done so on some pretty agressive cuts. I have not noticed ammonia from this, I would describe it as something almost like a metallic taste but I haven’t experienced it in a while and don’t remember exactly, so maybe I’m wrong in a sense.
None the less I think if you are lifting weights it is more than likely to gain muscle, or maintain what you have, and you don’t want to be burning amino acids as fuel regardless. Something is off there so maybe some bloodwork is due, because he is apparently eating a sufficient amount of carbs and shouldn’t be in keto at all...

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well I brought my ketone test strips with me tonight. Gonna hit legs and if I smell ammonia I’ll hit the strip.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well I brought my ketone test strips with me tonight. Gonna hit legs and if I smell ammonia I’ll hit the strip.
Good thinking! Brain gains!

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I’m pretty over trained, not gonna lie. It’s hard to workout to the intensity I usually do tonight, but I kind of want to smell the ammonia so I can try the strips haha. Nothing yet though.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m pretty over trained, not gonna lie. It’s hard to workout to the intensity I usually do tonight, but I kind of want to smell the ammonia so I can try the strips haha. Nothing yet though.
At the end, do a mix of sprint, jump rope, and mountain climbers... you will be out of glycogen.