Slow carb diet for d1 athlete

Nugggy

Awards
Hi everyone,

First time poster here. I'm a division 1 lacrosse player who has been plagued by injuries that make it difficult for me to keep off weight. Right now I'm 6'2 237 and 22 years old. I learned about slow carb through my trainer and I wanted to hear your opinions or better ideas for me to get my goal weight of 205. Ill post pictures soon

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Slow carbs? You mean slow digesting or low glycemic carbs?

Nugggy

Awards
Slow carb is the 4 hour body diet. It consists of getting your carb source mainly from lentils and beans and eating no sugar and having one day where you can eat whatever you want every week

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Not familiar with it.

Nugggy

Awards
I'm trying to figure if it would be easier to get carbs from a different source for fat loss

Nugggy

Awards
Do you think it's a good way to get carbs with lentils? Or would you recommend another way?

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Personally, If your activity level is very low, you don't need many carbs. Carbs are used to fuel the body/provide energy and blood sugar. If you are not doing anything physically active, you don't need that much fuel. I'd personally eat carbs with your first meal then eat very little the rest of the day. It almost sounds like a keto diet would be better for you at this point.

tigerdb2

tigerdb2

Awards
Personally, If your activity level is very low, you don't need many carbs. Carbs are used to fuel the body/provide energy and blood sugar. If you are not doing anything physically active, you don't need that much fuel. I'd personally eat carbs with your first meal then eat very little the rest of the day. It almost sounds like a keto diet would be better for you at this point.
He's a lacroase player. He's very active year round with s & c year round and on field practice much of the year.

Nugggy

Awards
It's fallball right now and my coach wants me to be down a significant amount of fat by our first game in February. I have a month off in December so I feel like that would be the best time to drop as much fat

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
Well, you can go low/timed carbs. Eat carbs with meal 1 and post workout. The rest of your meals eat only protein with maybe some added EFA's.

Nugggy

Awards
I like the sounds of that. Should I be getting my carbs from fiber sources or fruits and veggies in your opinion?

hossjob

hossjob

Awards
  • Established
In AM you could use some fruit. Green veggies aren't going to hurt your weight loss if you add them to 2-4 meals. I eat about 4-5 cups of veggies daily. I don't count them toward my "carb" count to be honest. I'd use things lilke brown rice, oats, sweet potato, quinoa, etc...