Sleep Supp

Cheeky Kunt

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Sup guys, long story short I work 3rd shift and have developed a slight insomnia (falling asleep). I can be dead tired and then lay in bed hours before falling asleep. I don’t have issues staying asleep tho.

I have worked 3rd for years and never experienced until recently so it’s been very agitating. Currently using melantonin @ 1mg/night (most nights). It works inconsistently for me. Anyone here fix a similar issue with some advice? Much appreciated.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
With OTC supplements, sleep onset is a bit tougher. If you’ve exhausted all the normal options pre-bed (limit blue light exposure, etc), I like KSM-66 @ 300-600mg pre bed.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I have never been one to sleep well. I also work a changing schedule. One of the best things I found for sleep was Iconics Dream Tea. It’s all natural, easy to make (even prior) and tastes great. Plus it’s not going to leave you waking up drowsy.

Use code chef for 25% off anything on the iconic Formulations and iron legion sites.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have never been one to sleep well. I also work a changing schedule. One of the best things I found for sleep was Iconics Dream Tea. It’s all natural, easy to make (even prior) and tastes great. Plus it’s not going to leave you waking up drowsy.
I may have to give this a try! Recently I haven't been sleeping as well. I think just due to the extra energy I have from working from home rather than going into the office.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I may have to give this a try! Recently I haven't been sleeping as well. I think just due to the extra energy I have from working from home rather than going into the office.
The best part is it is all natural. I have even brewed it as a sun tea recently and had as an ice tea in the evening.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The best part is it is all natural. I have even brewed it as a sun tea recently and had as an ice tea in the evening.

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Cannabis. It's great for recovery too. Helps me take naps and get to bed at a decent hour.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Could be cortisol issue. Sensoril ashwaghanda would help to lower the cortisol levels. Take melatonin a couple hours before you want to sleep.

Afi140

Afi140

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed^ something like reduce xt or corti-combat could help. That sleep tea definitely peaked my interest as well

jtbull

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I take generic unisom i get at walmart and have found it to work. There is a supplement made by a company called REPP wich a friend has a dealer accoutn for. Its a powder that is supposed to hell you sleep he said his rep says they sell "a hell of alot of it" i might try it. The unisom has helped me though/ I have taken one ony though at bedtime. Melatonin did not do much for me

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Ex-shift worker here. Melatonin was a godsend for the constant grueling shift changes. I could start and finish work at almost any time of the day or night (like 10pm - 8am or 4pm - 2am etc) and melatonin was the staple for me and my colleagues.

I used a minimal dose, like 1mg or less but it was enough to get me sleepy enough to sleep. I also relied on white noise and eye masks for when I needed to sleep during day light hours.

L-onithine L aspartate also has good evidence in humans for helping shift workers sleep.

Cheeky Kunt

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Ex-shift worker here. Melatonin was a godsend for the constant grueling shift changes. I could start and finish work at almost any time of the day or night (like 10pm - 8am or 4pm - 2am etc) and melatonin was the staple for me and my colleagues.

I used a minimal dose, like 1mg or less but it was enough to get me sleepy enough to sleep. I also relied on white noise and eye masks for when I needed to sleep during day light hours.

L-onithine L aspartate also has good evidence in humans for helping shift workers sleep.
Yeah 1mg Melantonin seemed to really work for about a month. Maybe placebo. Doesn’t seem to help a bit now.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah 1mg Melantonin seemed to really work for about a month. Maybe placebo. Doesn’t seem to help a bit now.
After a while the body grows a Tolerance. Sucks but happens

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
After a while the body grows a Tolerance. Sucks but happens
Agreed. Just like stims in a pre workout you would need to take some time off from taking melatonin for it to be as effective again.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Agreed. Just like stims in a pre workout you would need to take some time off from taking melatonin for it to be as effective again.
There are other naturals like hops and kava. Maybe even chamomile. I stick to the naturals on the regular basis and dream tea, so I can use melatonin when I really need.

awstenknight

Awards
Blue light blockers 2 hrs before bed
Delta Sleep Inducing Peptide 250mcg before bed
20min Red Light therapy before bed
Chamomale tea with, honey, lions mane drops, collagen powder, melatonin powder, cbd drops, GABA, 5-HTP.
Cold room, weighted blanket.

Exercise and sunlight throughout the day.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Just as a few tips from my shift working time:

-sleep when you're tired and don't stress if it isn't all in one go. You might sleep 2 hours, get up and do something, then sleep for 6 hours then get up and get ready for work. That's fine. Sleep doesnt have to be consecutive, just make sure you do get enough.

-As soon as you wake up, open the curtains. When you need to sleep, close them 30 mins beforehand. This will help your natural melatonin cycle. Getting natural light ASAP once you need to be awake is crucial to limit drowsiness. Around 60 mins pre-bed I'll start a bed routine and around 30 mins before bed I'll take 1mg of melatonin

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Blue light blockers 2 hrs before bed
Delta Sleep Inducing Peptide 250mcg before bed
20min Red Light therapy before bed
Chamomale tea with, honey, lions mane drops, collagen powder, melatonin powder, cbd drops, GABA, 5-HTP.
Cold room, weighted blanket.

Exercise and sunlight throughout the day.
Sounds like a be Ben greenfield protocol. That'll work no doubt

awstenknight

Awards
Sounds like a be Ben greenfield protocol. That'll work no doubt
He's great I got the tea idea from Dave asprey though. DSIP seems like magic. Increases T, GH and decreases cortisol while inhibting somastatin AND improving sleep by far.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
He's great I got the tea idea from Dave asprey though. DSIP seems like magic. Increases T, GH and decreases cortisol while inhibting somastatin AND improving sleep by far.
Have you used DSIP?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
CATdiesel76 Supplements 50
GreenMachineX Supplements 12
Supplements 17
Wordz_Worf Supplements 2
Supplements 35