Sleep help

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
For the wife, falling asleep no problem but staying asleep through the night is the problem. Waking up several times throughout the night, killing her rem sleep and exhausted when she wakes. Only coffee in the morning, healthy diet and workouts 5 days a week around 1pm. Not sure if hormone related or not, turning 40 if that offers and insight.
Thank you.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
For me, Magnesium Glycinate + KSM-66 helped my sleep depth the most.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
All ksm66 before bed? 600mg? Dosage magnesium glycinite?

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I suffer from insomnia as well.
Good sleep hygiene every night! That means no lights on an hour before bed, so your evening ritual (brush your teeth, wash your face, etc...). Always start at the same time EVERY night. Take some your medications and head to sleep.

Set an alarm every night for when to begin your nightly ritual. No matter if you are tired or not, you always keep it the same.

Some people like to journal before bed and empty their minds of all the anxious/intrusive thoughts.

Personally, I like listening to Michael Seally on YouTube. He had tons of guided meditation videos on YouTube with over a million views. Some people use the calm app. Another great app is insight timer, it’s free and has 1,000’s of meditations.

Keep your bedroom very dark and cool. Use a blue light filter 2hrs before bed and try not to use electronics 1hr before bed. Wear a cheap eye mask to block out the light. Use a fan or white noise filter. Try a weighted blanket. Turn your phone to do not disturb mode. Set an alarm for the morning and get up at that time regardless of how you slept the night before.

Definitely try to get outside for 15-30 min right after you wake up. Or buy a cheap light therapy lamp on amazon for like $30 (It is the same concept as to going outside). Use that in the morning for 30-45 min every day. It helps reset your circadian rhythm. You don’t look directly at the lamp, you just have it facing you about 18” away from it and you can spend the time eating, reading or sit on your phone and play games, etc..

Also, no caffeine after 3pm every day. Some coffee or preworkout is okay to use, so long as you take it before 3pm.

Try to workout everyday even if it’s just yoga, a walk or even plain old stretching.

My other advice would be to see your general practitioner and describe to them your insomnia. Especially if it gets to the point where it effects your quality of life. If that doesn’t work you should see a neurologist or psychiatrist (they are more specialized in terms of mental disorders). Also, see a therapist. Preferably a sleep focused psychologist. Then are trained specifically on sleep disorders, such as insomnia. Definitely get an overnight sleep study with EEG testing to rule out sleep apnea and restless leg syndrome.

Sleep help: Melatonin, ZMA, magnesium glycicnate, CBD oil, or Phenibut are all over the counter and proven to help with sleep.

Do NOT rely on marijuana or alcohol for sleep. Yes, they will make you drowsy. But there is plenty of scientific research that states that smoking and alcohol use before bed does not allow you to enter into the deeper stages of sleep/

Plenty of good RX sleep meds out there, just have to find the one that works for you. Benadryl has a known history of putting people to sleep via the anti-histamine pathway.

Like for me I rotate between 8 medications for sleep, never taking the same thing two nights in a row.

Try RX’s like Ambien, lunesta, Seroquel, temazapam, clonazepam (or other benzodiazepines), Hydroxyzine, ziprasidone, olanzapine, mirtazipine, nortryptiline, amitriptyline, trazodone, sonata, Belsomra, Ramelteon, doxepine, Dayvego (brand new FDA approves, may not be covered by insurance).

If you have any questions just ask, I have loads of information on this stuff and have gone through some pretty rigorous testing for my severe insomnia.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Wow, thanks for all the info. Hope it's not that difficult to get her back on track.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow, thanks for all the info. Hope it's not that difficult to get her back on track.
Always looking out for people! I hope that at least one of those tips will help her.

Any questions just ask!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Like mentioned above I had pretty good luck with supplementing SNS phenibut pre bed for a good deep sleep.

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Like mentioned above I had pretty good luck with supplementing SNS phenibut pre bed for a good deep sleep.
If you like SNS Phenibut, you should really try nootropicsdepot.com.
Their Phenibut is the highest quality that I have tried over the years.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
@saderboy80
Great Post !!

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If sns could get some of their products back in stock.....

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Will give zma and ksm66 a go when dps gets the KSM in stock

jarrellt67

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have the same problem. I can fall asleep quickly but wake up multiple times through the night (usually 4 or 5 times). For last couple weeks 400mg of ND magnolia bark extract has been working great. Now I only wake up once (twice at most...and a couple times I didn't wake up at all until morning) and there's no hangover the next day (like with doxylamine succinate...the only other product that works consistently for me).

Danksta710

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
@saderboy80
Great Post !!
Except for recommending all those benzos. LOL. You aren't ok with weed but think it's good advice to list all the benzos one can take? I used to be like you, hooked on pills and eager to get others online to join me!

Unless you want your wife to become an addict don't take advice from this guy regarding substances.

The sleep room stuff was good though, but all those addictive meds (phenibut) included will only make matters worse in the end.

Cordeen

Awards
  • Established
Zma
Bulk Gelatin (2 Tbsp which is around 3gms of glycine)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
as mentioned, SNS Phenibut is certainly a good and common choice. For me, I really enjoyed the effects of SNS Growth Factor XT as well. WHile not directly marketed as a sleep aid, its primary focus is on recovery via improved sleep, gh release, etc. For me, it absolutely zonks me out (I like to use it for long overseas flights to make sure I don't wake up every time someone sneezes on a 10+hr flight) but the recovery impact is noticeable. Sounds like it would fit your wife's needs very well

saderboy80

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Except for recommending all those benzos. LOL. You aren't ok with weed but think it's good advice to list all the benzos one can take? I used to be like you, hooked on pills and eager to get others online to join me!

Unless you want your wife to become an addict don't take advice from this guy regarding substances.

The sleep room stuff was good though, but all those addictive meds (phenibut) included will only make matters worse in the end.
I was just simply listing off possible medications and things I’ve tried. I didn’t intend for the user to take all of them.

I’m just against weed for use as a sleep aid. There’s scientific evidence that states it alters you cycle of sleep stages. So yeah it can make you drowsy but it will actually worsen your sleep.

I guess I could have added “take into consideration your physicians opinion” to the post.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Benadryl + Ashwaghanda + zinc has me sleeping like a rock

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My Dr. recommended Benadryl for occasional help with sleep, it works great.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I use to take a Benadryl as well to help me sleep but I also had bad allergies so it was an all in one pill for me. But i remember I use to have to take it and run to bed cause it did knock me out.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I use to take a Benadryl as well to help me sleep but I also had bad allergies so it was an all in one pill for me. But i remember I use to have to take it and run to bed cause it did knock me out.
It doesn't knock me out, but it does help me fall and stay asleep.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It doesn't knock me out, but it does help me fall and stay asleep.
Same here. I could stay awake fine on benedryl, but for some reason, even though it doesn't knock me out, it still can help me fall asleep easier than if I didn't take.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Same here. I could stay awake fine on benedryl, but for some reason, even though it doesn't knock me out, it still can help me fall asleep easier than if I didn't take.
Depends on the person. I’ve taken plenty of things for sleep that do nothing. Valarian root is one that knocks me out at high doses.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends on the person. I’ve taken plenty of things for sleep that do nothing. Valarian root is one that knocks me out at high doses.
Been wanting to try a daily high standardized extract of that, vitacost makes the highest I've seen for the best price, but been out of stock for months.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My oldest daughter uses CBD Oil for sleep, works great for her but does nothing for me ???

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My oldest daughter uses CBD Oil for sleep, works great for her but does nothing for me ???
If you have tried it orally, next time try 2 to 3 hours before bed. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 hours for it to work orally

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you have tried it orally, next time try 2 to 3 hours before bed. Sometimes it takes 2 to 3 hours for it to work orally
I think I have tried everyway (Except Suppository) it just does not help me sleep, I have used topical for knee pain and that worked well.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I have tried everyway (Except Suppository) it just does not help me sleep, I have used topical for knee pain and that worked well.
So what you are saying is, a suppository is in order?

@brundel

Can we get this man a custom suppository CBD?

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Valerian Root works well for me too!

That stinks!...I have used BLR’s CBD oil and it works well for me!

@brundel

Hahahaha he pretty much asked for it!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

@brundel

Sometime you have to go Extreme !!

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
How often do you use it?
On average 2 times a week. I would typically use it friday and saturday to get a good full nights rest and then maybe every once in awhile I would take it after a night that I didn't sleep well.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
On average 2 times a week. I would typically use it friday and saturday to get a good full nights rest and then maybe every once in awhile I would take it after a night that I didn't sleep well.
What dose? I forgot about it and how good the sleep was. I may need to add it back in.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
SNS Phenibut, I believe this is discontinued ??

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
SNS Phenibut, I believe this is discontinued ??
When GreenMachineX posted his question, I don't think he realized this thread was a few years old. No worries on that part, but I think that's why some of the conversation coming up is a bit out of context.

SNS Phenibut XT has been discontinued for years now. There may be some sellers that have some existing stock left but we don't make it anymore.

A word of caution to anyone in Europe - we have received reports of counterfeit Phenibut XT and also from shops listing that they have Phenibut XT and then shipping customers different brands.