Shin splints on SD

Wood

Awards
I ran a 3 week cycle of Superdrol last year and got shin splints when I was playing basketball. I've never had shin splints in my life, I'm 37 and I've played bball all my life. It took me 8 months till I stopped getting them. I just started another SD cycle this week and when I tried to play bball last night to warm up I got them again. Is there anything I can take that will help? Why is SD causing this?

V00D00

V00D00

Awards
I ran a 3 week cycle of Superdrol last year and got shin splints when I was playing basketball. I've never had shin splints in my life, I'm 37 and I've played bball all my life. It took me 8 months till I stopped getting them. I just started another superdrol cycle this week and when I tried to play bball last night to warm up I got them again. Is there anything I can take that will help? Why is superdrol causing this?
depending on diet superdrol can be used as a cutter and will have a habit of sometimes drying out joints. that may be what is happening to you. water, glucosamine, cissus (or a product like palo alto labs incarnate) all could help

a better question to ask though - why are you using superdrol to play basketball??? shouldnt you be lifting some heavy ass weights? ;)

gogo

gogo

Awards
  • Established
take taurine at 5 - 10 gram's a day and it should subside.

V00D00

V00D00

Awards
take taurine at 5 - 10 gram's a day and it should subside.
taurine? for shin splints? i havent heard that before - but it does help cells retain water.

Taurine - Wikipedia

Biosynthesis
The major pathway for mammalian taurine synthesis occurs in the liver via the cysteine sulfinic acid pathway. In this pathway, the sulfhydryl group of cysteine is first oxidized to cysteine sulfinic acid by the enzyme cysteine dioxygenase. Cysteine sulfinic acid, in turn, is decarboxylated by Sulfinoalanine decarboxylase (EC 4.1.1.27) to form hypotaurine. It is unclear whether hypotaurine is then spontaneously or enzymatically oxidized to yield taurine.

Taurine in the pharmaceutical and lab setting is synthesized through a combination of cysteine, methionine and vitamin E.

Urban legends surrounding the source of taurine have included bull urine extract and bull semen. While it's true that taurine is found in both sources, it is not the source of taurine in the pharmaceutical or food industry. Taurine is extracted from the intestines of cattle.

Physiological roles
Taurine is conjugated via its amino terminal group with the bile acids chenodeoxycholic acid and cholic acid to form the bile salts sodium taurochenodeoxycholate and sodium taurocholate (see bile). The low pKa (1.5) of taurine's sulfonic acid group ensures that this moiety is negatively charged in the pH ranges normally found in the intestinal tract and thus improves the surfactant properties of the cholic acid conjugate.

Taurine has also been implicated in a wide array of other physiological phenomena including inhibitory neurotransmission, long-term potentiation in the striatum/hippocampus, membrane stabilization, feedback inhibition of neutrophil/macrophage respiratory bursts, adipose tissue regulation, and calcium homeostasis. The evidence for these claims, when compared against that reported for taurine's role in bile acid synthesis and osmoregulation, is relatively poor.

Prematurely born infants who lack the enzymes needed to convert cystathionine to cysteine may become deficient in taurine. Thus, taurine is a dietary essential nutrient in these individuals and is often added to many infant formulas as a measure of prudence. There is also evidence that taurine in adult humans reduces blood pressure.[7]

Anxiety disease/panic disorder also show signs of amelioration.[citation needed] If taurine is going to work, it works almost immediately.[citation needed] Recent studies show that taurine supplements taken by mice on a high-fat diet reduced their overall weight. Studies have yet to be done on the effect of taurine on obesity in humans.[8]. Recent studies have also shown that taurine can influence (and possibly reverse) nerve blood flow, motor nerve conduction velocity, and nerve sensory threshold defects in experimental diabetic neuropathic rats.[9][10] Taurine levels were found to be significantly lower in vegans than in a control group on a standard American diet. Plasma taurine was 78% of control values, and urinary taurine 29%.[11] In recent years, taurine has become a common ingredient in energy drinks. Taurine is also often used in combination with bodybuilding supplements such as creatine and anabolic steroids. Taurine is also used in some contact lens solutions. Taurine has also been shown in diabetic rats to decrease weight and decrease blood sugar.[12]

Taurine and cats

Taurine is essential for cat health, as a cat cannot synthesize the compound. The absence of taurine causes a cat's retina to slowly degenerate, causing eye problems and (eventually) irreversible blindness. This condition is called central retinal degeneration (CRD).[13][14] In addition, taurine deficiency can cause feline dilated cardiomyopathy, and supplementation can reverse left ventricular systolic dysfunction. (Pion et al 1988) Taurine is now a requirement of the AAFCO and any dry or wet food product labeled approved by the AAFCO should have a minimum of .1% Taurine. For further AAFCO requirements for cats, consult the table here.

Safety Data
Usage above 28.57 PPM in non-alcoholic beverages is deemed non-GRAS as determined by Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) Expert Panel. A typical energy drink that contains 1000 mg of taurine corresponds to a concentration of about 4.083 ppm.

Products containing taurine
Taurine is an ingredient in many energy drinks and energy products; in fact, it is from this ingredient that Red Bull gets its name.[citation needed] It is present in the alcoholic drinks Sparks and Spykes. It is also found as an additive in no-rub contact lens fluids. It is in Foosh Energy Mints and Buzz Bites Chocolate Energy Chews. SoBe Power Fruit Punch contains 50 MG of Taurine, while SoBe Adrenaline Rush contains 960mg. Also, the energy drink distributed by the Coca-Cola Corp., Rockstar, depending on the flavor, can contain up to 2000mg of Taurine. It is also contained in the energy drink Monster. A Korean vitamin supplement drink called "MegaVita 1666" contains 2380mg of Taurine in an 8.05 OZ. It is also found in Power C Vitamin Water.

References

1. ^ Brosnan J, Brosnan M (2006). "The sulfur-containing amino acids: an overview.". J Nutr 136 (6 Suppl): 1636S-1640S. PMID 16702333.
2. ^ Stapleton, PP; L O'Flaherty, HP Redmond, and DJ Bouchier-Hayes (1998). "Host defense--a role for the amino acid taurine?". Journal of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition 22 (1): 42–48. Retrieved on 2006-08-19.
3. ^ Weiss, Stephen J.; Roger Klein, Adam Slivka, and Maria Wei (1982). "Chlorination of Taurine by Human Neutrophils". Journal of Clinical Investigation 70 (3): 598–607. Retrieved on 2006-08-19.
4. ^ Kirk, Kiaran; and Julie Kirk (1993). "Volume-regulatory taurine release from a human lung cancer cell line". FEBS Letters 336 (1): 153–158. DOI:doi:10.1016/0014-5793(93)81630-I.
5. ^ Carey, Francis A. [1987] (2006). Organic Chemistry, 6th ed., New York: McGraw Hill, 1149. ISBN 0-07-282837-4. “Amino acids are carboxylic acids that contain an amine function.”
6. ^ Lahdesmaki, P (1987). "Biosynthesis of taurine peptides in brain cytoplasmic fraction in vitro.". Int J Neuroscience 37 (1-2): 79–84.
7. ^ Militante, J. D.; J. B. Lombardini (November 2002). "Treatment of hypertension with oral taurine: experimental and clinical studies". Amino Acids 23 (4): 381–393. DOI:10.1007/s00726-002-0212-0. Retrieved on 2006-08-22.
8. ^ Currently taurine is being tested as an anti-manic treatment for bipolar depression. Tsuboyama-Kasaoka, Nobuyo; Chikako Shozawa, Kayo Sano, Yasutomi Kamei, Seiichi Kasaoka, Yu Hosokawa and Osamu Ezaki (2006). "Taurine (2-Aminoethanesulfonic Acid) Deficiency Creates a Vicious Circle Promoting Obesity". Endocrinology 147 (7): 3276–3284. DOI:10.1210/en.2005-1007. Retrieved on 2006-08-22.
9. ^ Li F, Abatan OI, Kim H, Burnett D, Larkin D, Obrosova IG, Stevens MJ (2006 Jun). "Taurine reverses neurological and neurovascular deficits in Zucker diabetic fatty rats.". Neurobiology of Disease 22 (3).
10. ^ Pop-Busui R, Sullivan KA, Van Huysen C, Bayer L, Cao X, Towns R, Stevens MJ (2001 Apr). "Depletion of taurine in experimental diabetic neuropathy: implications for nerve metabolic, vascular, and functional deficits.". Exp Neurol. 168 (2).
11. ^ Laidlaw S, Shultz T, Cecchino J, Kopple J (1988) "Plasma and urine taurine levels in vegans." American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, vol. 47, pp. 660-663.
12. ^ "Taurine improves insulin sensitivity in the Otsuka Long-Evans Tokushima Fatty rat, a model of spontaneous type 2 diabetes". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition Vol. 71 (No. 1): 54-58.
13. ^ Taurine And Its Importance In Cat Foods. Iams Cat Nutrition Library (2004). Retrieved on 2006-08-22.
14. ^ Nutrient Requirements of Cats. Nutrient Requirements of Cats, Revised Edition, 1986 (1986). Retrieved on 2006-09-10.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've been through this a million times....

The shin splints are caused from the Superdrols swelling effects... Shin splints are caused by a pulling away of small nipple tissues connected to the front part of your what is it tibia? or is it femur... it's the bottom part of your leg... anyways, the tissue pulls away from the bone and that is what causes the pain. The tissue in this case is pulling away from the bone not because of you being fat but because of sd's swelling effects. taurine does not always successfully stop this.

cr4ytonic

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yes and I sometimes breath like a 400lb fattie (which I am not). Glad they both go away.

Wood

Awards
LOL, I'm not using it to play bball. I play bball one day a week because I like to play and I use it as my cardio instead of the treadmill.

Gotripped, is there anything I can take to help? If there's nothing then I guess I will stop the bball for a few weeks but if there's something I can take to help it would be nice.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
LOL, I'm not using it to play bball. I play bball one day a week because I like to play and I use it as my cardio instead of the treadmill.

Gotripped, is there anything I can take to help? If there's nothing then I guess I will stop the bball for a few weeks but if there's something I can take to help it would be nice.
You can drink more water (although this only alleviates the joint problems SLIGHTLY) and then you can also, lower your carbohydrate intake. I noticed on days when I ate big bowls of oatmeal and brown rice for breakfast the shin splints were worse than on days I only ate steak and eggs for breakfast. I believe the carbohydrates inject into the muscle tissue and therefore cause the swelling effect. I may be wrong on this but that is just what it seemed like to me. You most likely will just have to bear with it. I usually get into great running shape before I run a cycle i.e. 5 miles a day is an easy run...and then I begin my cycle. It reduces the pumps. But I don't really care about that anymore, I will go through the pumps and the pain to get bigger I can't be wasting calories on running 5 miles. But that is that. You sorta just deal with it.
:cheers:

mss07

Awards
with shin splints, your tibia and fibula actually have tiny fractures and that's what is causing your pain. The only real way to remedy is to take it easy since it is due to increase stress on your bones. You could try a Calcium and Phosphorus supp. and make sure you are getting enough Vit. D. And throw in some Glucosamine/Chondrotin and MSM while youre at it, real cheap.

gotripped

gotripped

Banned
Awards
  • Established
with shin splints, your tibia and fibula actually have tiny fractures and that's what is causing your pain. The only real way to remedy is to take it easy since it is due to increase stress on your bones. You could try a Calcium and Phosphorus supp. and make sure you are getting enough Vit. D. And throw in some Glucosamine/Chondrotin and MSM while youre at it, real cheap.
keep in mind the tiny fractures are the severe form of shin splints, the beginning is the tissue pulling away from the bone and later it turns into fractures.

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
taurine? for shin splints? i havent heard that before - but it does help cells retain water.
So does that mean that high doses of taurine can actually make you retain water, and gain water weight?

Ninjo

Ninjo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Wood..what dosing of SD are you using?...I'm looking at my first cycle at 10/20/20 in a couple of months and have found that most users report increased sides as the dosage is increased.

Wood

Awards
Ninjo, I'm doing 10,20,20. That's the same dose as the one I did last year. I had no noticeable sides except for the shin splints and those where only when I played bball not when I ran on the treadmill. Oh and I had quite the short fuse with people. The hardest part of this for me is eating enough. I'm not a big eater and honestly I get sick of eating so much.

Wood

Awards
Well, maybe somebody can figure this out. I went to workout yesterday evening and I was draggin ass so I drank some NO Explode, which I have avoided while on the SD, I started out warming up for 15 minutes on the treadmill, worked out for an hour and then went on the treadmill for 30 more minutes. I was getting ready to leave and the guys on the Bball court where 1 short of being able to play so I caved and said I would run one with them. I thought for sure within the first minute my shins would be killing me. Well, 6 games later and I felt great. It was the first time in 5 weeks(last time and this time) of SD that I haven't had shin splints. Could the NO Explode have something to do with it??????

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 18
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 2
KingAnt Injury / Rehab 0