shedding about 5 pounds of fat while still gaining muscle...possible?

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i eat a very clean diet that consists of around 3700 cals a day. my main meals usually consist of grilled chicken and pasta. i dont wanna cut the carbs out cause i still wanna gain, just lose the fat if that makes sense. here is my routine as of yesterday. reps are between 12 - 20
Mon - Arms
Tues - 5x5 - this will help keep all the gains i made, i hope
wed - off
thurs - back
fri - legs
sat - chest

cardio every training day of around 20 min. i also do abs daily except for off days.

walker11

Awards
it's certainly possible. i would change your training to doing more of an upper body/lowerbody/off/upper/lower split. that way you can hit each muscle group twice a week. and you can cut carbs back, not off but back, and still stay strong. i usualy have to cut a few pounds when i have a powerlifting meet comming up and as long as i keep protein up my strength doesn't drop off at all when i lower my carb intake.
post a full week of lifting (lifts, sets, reps, and cardio) and everything you ate in one day and more people will be able to give you more detailed/helpful responses.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i gotcha. i just dont have 2 hrs a day to train cause of nursing school ya know. what about cardio...am i doing enough? here is an example of what i eat
Breakfast - 1 scoop of nitrocore with milk, yogurt, 1 egg, 1 banana, and a cup of oats
30 min later - 3 egg white, 1 whole egg with a small bowl of oatmeal

lunch - grilled chicken with either fresh veggies or pasta

snack - p&j sandwhich with a cup of milk

pre workout meal - chicken or a lean meat sandwhich with a bagel

train

post workout meal - usually chicken or fish with a side of either potatoes, pasta...etc

snack - p&j sanwhich or turkey or ham sandwhich

bedtime shake of nitrocore with same ingredients.

for training, i can log on here, but i just finished a log of HGHup and Prime and im pretty much doing the same workouts just higher reps

walker11

Awards
im not a nutritionist, but i would cut out the pb&j snacks and the oats, and maybe the nitrocore before bedtime. and maybe increase your cardio to 30 minutes, or keep it at 20 and do interval runns (sprint for 30-60 seconds, light jog for same time, repeat).

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
what should i replace the p&js with then? ive never done a cut before so treat me as a newbe, although im not lol. i dont wanna lose any muscle ya know

walker11

Awards
don't replace it with anything, but if you get real hungry between meals then drink a high protein, low calorie, low/no carb protein shake. you don't want to be getting hungry 2-3 times a day cause then your metabolism will slow down and will make it harder to drop weight, so you need a good source of protein that has next to no fat and carbs.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Possible? Yes. With that routine? Decreases your chances some.

Take advantage of the proper frequency:volume ratio. Train movements at least once every five days; next wait SEVEN days to train a muscle and never train a muscle with so much volume that it would need seven days.

Movements for Mass and Balance: Squat, Deadlift, Barbell Row, Chinup, Press, Bench Press.

Guidelines for mass.

**Squat each workout.

**Deadlift once per week or twice per week --- alternate.

**Vertical Push and Horizontal Push with a 1:1 Ratio

**Horizontal Push & Pull with a 1:1 ratio (unless you have an imbalance)

**Vertical Push & Pull with a 1:1 ratio.

That sets us up with a program like this.

A) Workout- Squats & Horizontal Push and Pull
1- Squat
2- Bench Press
3- Barbell Row
4- Weighted Abs

B) Workout- Squats & Vertical Push and Pulls
1- Squat
2- Press
3- Deadlift
4- Chinups

Get what we have? A perfectly balanced and perfectly frequent full body routine designed to add mass.

Now get squatting. :)

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
so ur saying to use that workout every other day or what. and for day B, what is press? shoulder press? bench? what? and is it better to do 5x5 with these workouts?

Type O Hero

Type O Hero

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Look into this stack...

IGF-2/DRIVE/RPM

If you've got the bucks, this stack would definitely help you reach your goals.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ive done that stack. i didnt think too highly of it. i like those products by themselves minus the drive

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
so ur saying to use that workout every other day or what. and for day B, what is press? shoulder press? bench? what? and is it better to do 5x5 with these workouts?
My guess is that it's standing military press :dunno:

An exercise that I've definitely neglected, along with barbell rows which i never do. Going to start today though.

acwingfoot

Awards
I would cut out the multiple meals consisting of bread. When I go on a cut, I cut out all bread (WW and all) and concentrate on oats, sweet potatoes, and veggies for my CHO sources.. even though the bread is WW, it is still processed. I would also suggest timing your CHOs a little better... concentrate on breakfast, Pre-WO, Post- WO and then if you need more have a few complex CHOs with your second Post-WO meal.. tapering of the CHOs is also a common way to go about it.. incorporate your CHOs, but as the day moves on especially at night try to cut/eliminate them.. just a couple suggestions... and lastly I agree with Walker, as long as I have kept the protein content up there I have maintained my strength

edwitt

edwitt

Awards
  • Established
i am keeping my cals in the same range but moderating and cycling my carbs on a clean diet. Along with my ECA stack i have shed 20lb from an 8olb bulk without losing any strength, def upped my BCAA and CLA. Slow and steady

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
I just dropped 10lbs in the last 2 weeks while I was still gaining strength in the gym... All I did was cut out CARBS --- sugars and breads/pastas any other time than PRE or Post workout!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
im not worried about strength, im worried about muscle mass. i dont wanna be burning off fat AND muscle

Tone

Tone

Awards
  • Established
im not worried about strength, im worried about muscle mass. i dont wanna be burning off fat AND muscle
the way i see it is if im gaining strength im definitely NOT losing muscle, might be losing some of the water retained in my muslces which would be your size, but def not losing muscle