Severe Tendonitis...Help!!

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
So due to doing a lot of jiu-jitsu I have devoloped severe tendonitis in both my elbows. I have taken about a week off and have been taking IB Profin to try and help. I cannot afford to take anymore time off because of a big tournament I will be competing in shortly. Anyone have success with any kind of tendonitis treatments? Using either supplements, pain killers, OTC, or other? I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Ultrasound,some mild stetching, and rest, go to your doctor and get him to send you to physical therapy, they should have an ultrasound machine, also try some moist heat prior to exercise, tendinitis is very hard to kick and you may have it for a long time

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
Ultrasound,some mild stetching, and rest, go to your doctor and get him to send you to physical therapy, they should have an ultrasound machine, also try some moist heat prior to exercise, tendinitis is very hard to kick and you may have it for a long time
heat? That doesn't sound right at all......tendonitis is inflamation....heat would make it worse.....

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
I talked to a pharmacist...she said stay away from heat...she may not be a dr...but......

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
Kind of looking for someone who had similar problems and found something that actually worked, such as a supplement or "other" I don't really care right now, I can't take the time off to let it heal properly w/o missing competitions

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing you can "take" to get tendinitis to go away, heat before you exercise and ice and some anti inflatories after, you need to rest it, I know it sucks but time, therapy and patience and rest are what you need, a common form of elbow tendinitis is "tenis elbow"...research that and see if your symptoms are the same

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
And a pharmacist will not know the best way to treat you, get a referral from your doctor to go to a physical therapist

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do judo. Cissus should help, try Super Cissus by USPLabs. And tell the guys you roll with to chill out with the armbars.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
And a pharmacist will not know the best way to treat you, get a referral from your doctor to go to a physical therapist

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
this has nothing to do with armbars and such....it is mostly just from me staying tight in guard....the guy can weight 240lbs or 150 doesn't matter...the pain gets so severe I can't move my arms....Again...yes if I was going ot go for a full treatment I would go to a dr, get physical therapy blah blah blah...I don't have time for this....I am more looking for something that will help me deal with the pain and problem, until my competitions are over and then I can get it looked at and fixed appropriately.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm not sure how the guard is giving you tendonitis, but again, pick up some cissus, regardless of what else you do.

dpfisher

The only thing you can get that will make it go away right away is cortisone shots.

I have it in both arms and spent tons of time with rest, ice, ibuprofen, PT, ultrasound, none of it helped at all. Right now I'm trying 1,4AD combined with the heavier PT exercises because bold is supposed to help tendons. Ask me in a month if it worked. If it doesn't work I'll take the cortisone at that point.

Fat6

Awards
The only thing you can get that will make it go away right away is cortisone shots.

I have it in both arms and spent tons of time with rest, ice, ibuprofen, PT, ultrasound, none of it helped at all. Right now I'm trying 1,4AD combined with the heavier PT exercises because bold is supposed to help tendons. Ask me in a month if it worked. If it doesn't work I'll take the cortisone at that point.
Im in the same boat, cort shots every 90 days, 600 mg naproxin 2x daily, ICE,ICE,ICE!!
You will NOT fix this in one week! Trust me I KNOW>>>

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
i figured as much...but it was worth a shot...never know what kind of stuff people have found that works....

dpfisher

If you truely have tendonitis it will take anywhere from 5-9 months to heal. Grab some bulk cissus and dose heavily ---it will help some
Actually my physical therapist was telling me about this doctor who was theorizing that no matter what you do it will take 18 months to go away. So he just kept doing whatever he felt like and in a year and a half he was better. But I can personally attest even with all that expensive physical therapy stuff 9 months is no guarantee.

Those straps can help some people, it depends on the way your forearms are built though. At first I had large muscular ridges on both sides of the affected area so the strap didn't contact it. After nearly a year of not using my arm the strap now puts a little pressure on it. It's not like my arms were huge, just the way the muscles were distributed.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
eh I doing what I do...no time for "straps" and ****...lol..I'm just going to try and use some elbow sleeves and see if that helps at all hahahaha

dpfisher

The strap I'm referring to isn't the kind you use for deadlifting it's just a thing that goes around your forearm to take some pressure off the tendons while you go about your normal activities. Probably a little more effective than an elbow sleeve if it works for you.

Wudog

Wudog

Awards
  • Established
i really have no problems if I'm not doing jiu-jitsu...this doesn't bother me while weight lifting or doing anything else.....it just seems to be aggrevated by jiu-jitsu somehow...makes no sense...but it's the only time it causes me pain....

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
So due to doing a lot of jiu-jitsu I have devoloped severe tendonitis in both my elbows. I have taken about a week off and have been taking IB Profin to try and help. I cannot afford to take anymore time off because of a big tournament I will be competing in shortly. Anyone have success with any kind of tendonitis treatments? Using either supplements, pain killers, OTC, or other? I'm open to all kinds of suggestions.
I had a case of very painful tendinitis in my left elbow yesterday and I took some advil and iced it all day. This morning I was able to get 95% motion back and very little pain. Try ICE it's one of the very best analgesics and it's easy on the liver.

HP

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
I had tendonitis in my left forearm over the summer. It actually started probably in about April but I didn't go to the doctor until the last week of June. It got pretty bad and my arm was sensitive to the touch in one area. He told me to take some time off from lifting and ice it three times a day, 10-15 minutes a time, and do stretches (think wrist curl and reverse wrist curl motions) to help it. I took two weeks off from lifting, and by the third week I was back lifting (starting back light of course). After another two weeks or so I could lift pretty heavy again without any pain at all. I still kept icing it three times a day for another month and a half or so afterwards out of habit and just to make sure it wouldn't start to hurt again and it's been fine ever since. I've had it in my right elbow as well, although it wasn't as severe as in my arm, and it went away quickly through just icing and stretching. So yeah, just put an ice pack on it three times a day for 15 minutes each time and do a lot of stretching.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
trouble with cortisone injections is they weaken the tissue...so sure you may have no pain, but the second you did some fancy arm movement in a fight you could be in for serious tissue damage. just go conservative for now.

Fat6

Awards
trouble with cortisone injections is they weaken the tissue...so sure you may have no pain, but the second you did some fancy arm movement in a fight you could be in for serious tissue damage. just go conservative for now.
I hear ya on the tissue damage, However as a last resort before surgery I felt it was worth it...

skiboyny

Awards
I don't have time for this....I am more looking for something that will help me deal with the pain and problem, until my competitions are over and then I can get it looked at and fixed appropriately.
Two things that have helped me in a pinch. If it's not ragging bad Cissus will help. There is a perscription anti-inflamatory called Indomethacin. For some reason that seems to head straight to the elbow tendons for me Advill and the like do nothing. It's a bitch I get it every summer from course slalom sking.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is this summer slalom skiing you speak of?

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
Two things that have helped me in a pinch. If it's not ragging bad Cissus will help. There is a perscription anti-inflamatory called Indomethacin. For some reason that seems to head straight to the elbow tendons for me Advill and the like do nothing. It's a bitch I get it every summer from course slalom sking.
indocin is an older NSAID, same class as motrin, but with more renal and gastric side effects. it can be tried, but NOT with motrin/aleve/etc. the best course for the OP continues to be rest, NSAIDS, and physical therapy.