Seeing the results everywhere but my abs?

whosurmama

Awards
So I have been dieting and working out for about 8 weeks now and I'm seeing the results FOR THE MOST PART. My arms are veinier than ever I'm talking bi's tri's shoulders forearms all of them. But for some reason my abs are showing no signs of improvement. I train them 4 times a week Mondays and Thursdays is "core" (planks, obliques, lower back) Tuesday Friday's is abs(upper and lower) I'm using weight doing 12 reps for 3 sets and 4 or 5 exercises per day. Am I missing something? Why aren't they getting as defined as the rest of my body? Am I overdoing it underdoing it? not enough reps or exercises? Thanks for the help.

boogyman

Awards
So I have been dieting and working out for about 8 weeks now and I'm seeing the results FOR THE MOST PART. My arms are veinier than ever I'm talking bi's tri's shoulders forearms all of them. But for some reason my abs are showing no signs of improvement. I train them 4 times a week Mondays and Thursdays is "core" (planks, obliques, lower back) Tuesday Friday's is abs(upper and lower) I'm using weight doing 12 reps for 3 sets and 4 or 5 exercises per day. Am I missing something? Why aren't they getting as defined as the rest of my body? Am I overdoing it underdoing it? not enough reps or exercises? Thanks for the help.
Abs are mostly diet. Everyone has somewhat ripped abs under their abdominal fat. I think around 10-14% is when you can start to see them in most people.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Abs are mostly diet. Everyone has somewhat ripped abs under their abdominal fat. I think around 10-14% is when you can start to see them in most people.
Zactly ^^^ this. Arms get vascular first and you see veiny arms on untrained office workers.
You most likely got those abs under the small layer of adipose tissue, (hey I didn't say fat, ha) but you just have to "slowly" keep getting leaner, while training them.

turff49

turff49

Awards
I'd drop using weight on ab workouts and increase the reps/time. 12 reps on abs isn't a good way to tighten them up. I do hanging knee ups to each side to work the obliques. Do as many as you can and do 3-4 sets. I also do 100 crunches per set. Just work up to the quantity while maintaining form. Then I do lying leg raises, 6" off ground and just hold them as long as you can. Do 4 sets of those.

Nickmort

Nickmort

Awards
I'd drop using weight on ab workouts and increase the reps/time. 12 reps on abs isn't a good way to tighten them up. I do hanging knee ups to each side to work the obliques. Do as many as you can and do 3-4 sets. I also do 100 crunches per set. Just work up to the quantity while maintaining form. Then I do lying leg raises, 6" off ground and just hold them as long as you can. Do 4 sets of those.
There is no reason to be doing 100 crunches per set unless you are trying to build abdominal stamina. Abs are like any other muscle. Would you do 100 reps of light db curls to get your biceps bigger? Focus on squeezing your abs on the concentric portion of your crunches/leg raises. Also, squats and deadlifts work wonders for your core.

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diet is the only thing IMO that will show the results you are looking for. Also the ab fat will be some of the last fat to go for most.

Also you can do abs until the cows come home, but it doesnt make you more shredded.

So time, diet, and patience is what i recommend.

turff49

turff49

Awards
To each their on. It takes a lot to stimulate the ab muscles in a way to get good development. Of course diet is the biggest key. If your bf isn't below 10-12% then it will be hard to see any true definition. There are 2 muscle groups that can be trained almost daily. Abs and calves. If you want those abs to stay tight and looking shredded all the time then you need more than 12 reps.
Also if you develop strong ab muscles then you need to develop strong lumbar muscles. I agree on the deadlifts and squats working the abs but it doesn't target the abs or the obliques. Just my 2 cents from an "old school" approach.