Sean's Powerlifting Journey

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Sup, man! I fucking love that place. **** load of equipment. Old school. No more garage gym for me unfortunately but I'm lucky that that Body Docs is only 10-15min away from my school.
That's awesome. I havent made it over there yet, but was just talking to my gyms owner the other day about it, hes good friends with the owner. Always trading out or making equipment for him.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Great to see you back, Sean! I see you’re still repping over my squat max, at 181 no less

Bench isn’t that far off where you were at 40lbs heavier; don’t sell yourself short!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Great to see you back, Sean! I see you’re still repping over my squat max, at 181 no less

Bench isn’t that far off where you were at 40lbs heavier; don’t sell yourself short!
Ya and he got freaking shredded. Should be fun to follow along here now, this was a great thread when active.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Thanks, man! Good to see you as well. You're looking strong as hell!

Fucking shoulder. AC joints and I'm pretty sure I have some nerve issues happening on my right side. I'm avoiding seeing a doc about it. Literally the only thing it hinders is flat benching. I have some leftover dexamethasone from my kids tonsillectomy that I'll take if it gets too aggravated while I peek.

I knew you couldn't stay away.
I've been trying to get on the app since I DM'd you about it actually. Turns out, all I had to do was clear the app storage/cache and it worked lol

Ya and he got freaking shredded. Should be fun to follow along here now, this was a great thread when active.
I'm hoping to keep it active again!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
These pics are from my leanest, around 179-182. No pump vs pump. The only supplementation was about 8 weeks worth of EC. I had a couple 1500cal days and the rest of the week was 2200-2400 depending on the workload. One day every other week I would raise cals up to 2800, or sometimes I did once a week. I worried more about weekly calorie goals than daily, that way I could cherry pick off other days if I needed.

I'm not as lean now but I'm not a fat piece of **** either. The ~10lbs I've added has been fairly lean. Supplementation wise, I'm just buying bulk powders as I see fit. Beet root powder, agmatine, citrulline, creatine. Daily fish oil and magnesium. Thermotabs pre and post worjout. I have an itch to run gear but I know if I get on, I'll never get off, so I'm waiting. MK677 has peaked my interest, though.

FYI Acetylcysteine was a godsend in helping me quit dipping. Zero withdrawal symptoms.

My current diet is:
Breakfast: Oats or greek yogurt w/ berries and a serving of nuts.
1.5-2hr prewo: Chicken, white rice, broccoli, fruit
Post workout: Chicken, white rice, fruit
Meal 4: Chicken & something else, usually a potato and another vegetable. Sometimes if I make the kids tacos or burgers, I'll have that instead. Those Joseph's lavash pita breads are awesome. 4g fiber each. I'll make pizzas with them or just load it with chicken and veggies.
Meal 5: Depends on where my cals are at for the day. It might be casein pudding and nuts. It might be another small meal.

My non-workout days are pretty much the same but I cut the carb amount of those middle 3 meals in half. Friday I meal prep those pre/post meals and the chicken for the 4th meal and freeze it for the week.

I'm around 2600 cals now and I'm on the line of slowly losing/maintaining. I get at least 160g of protein, fats around 60, carbs are the rest. Fiber averages 30g.

Edit: And sleep. I take that more importantly than diet. If my diet slips, I can make up for that on the next day, or accept it. I try my best to never let sleep slip. On days I have to wake up at 4am, I'm sleeping in my kids bed when I tuck them in at 8. 8 hours or bust.

Attachments

Last edited:
jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Good god man. Good work on that cut. You obviously had everything pretty damn dialed in. Amazing you kept so much of your strength getting that lean from where you were.

haha I saw. My life is just school, gym, kids, study, school, gym, kids, study on repeat so I need another outlet so I'm going to try to hang out here more.

I'm still telling myself ER. Long term goal is ER>Trauma>Flight but I know thats a ways out and subject to change. I just finished a rotation on a tele unit that specialized in liver patients which was eh. After finals this week I'll be starting a rotation on a general med-surge floor. How's school going for you? Suck it with your New England weather. I don't miss that ****.
Same here except no kids which means my day js nowhere near as difficult or jam packed as what your day to day must be. I always say I have no clue how the people in my class who have kids made it through didactic year.

ER is its own little world...thats the first type of medicine that I ever knew and I think its really hard to do medicine differently after youve practiced it (or observed it and interacted with it in my case) that way for a few years. I was always amazed with the flight nurses and thought that’d be cool AF to end up being one of those providers...a lot of them knew damn near as much about the clinical practice for acute care as some of the ER docs. I could see you doing that for sure given your background.

How long are your rotations? Ours are 5 weeks and it makes for some of the strangest experiences - just long enough where you can find your groove for the last 5-10 work days but so short to where you cant truly evaluate some of them. Also in some cases just long enough to know that you’re excited for them to end and that it aint for you lol. Im currently in my Surgery rotation with the IHS down on the Navajo Reservation in NM. It’s been good so far, although ive still not experienced enough to decidedly say i want to go into ER or a surgery subspecialty yet...which i knew going into school. I dont have too much time left to decide so I better figure out quick since I graduate in the end of February. Also, NE whether isnt that bad...winters are pretty similar to Chicago honestly (but dont say that to a New Englander...they think theyve got the worst winters in all of the world it seems like). The biggest difference is the fact its overcast 75% of the year where I’m at so yah that blows.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Damn Sean! I’m not amazed how much muscle you’ve retained getting so peeled, because I always knew you had terrific genes by how much you squatted naturally (to take nothing away from all your years of ball-busting hard work in the gym obviously!). But what is nuts to me is how radically big your thighs have stayed getting so lean!!! That is rare indeed - most guys lose a lot of legs getting so lean, but yours are epic as ever.

I wouldn’t suggest gear unless you just want to be a LOT bigger, or just want to push your numbers to the max regardless of longevity. You are already jacked now & have owned an ATWR drug-tested 705 squat. Honestly you carry a ton of natty muscle that many geared -up guys would be envious of. Like you said, gear becomes a lifestyle.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Damn Sean! I’m not amazed how much muscle you’ve retained getting so peeled, because I always knew you had terrific genes by how much you squatted naturally (to take nothing away from all your years of ball-busting hard work in the gym obviously!). But what is nuts to me is how radically big your thighs have stayed getting so lean!!! That is rare indeed - most guys lose a lot of legs getting so lean, but yours are epic as ever.

I wouldn’t suggest gear unless you just want to be a LOT bigger, or just want to push your numbers to the max regardless of longevity. You are already jacked now & have owned an ATWR drug-tested 705 squat. Honestly you carry a ton of natty muscle that many geared -up guys would be envious of. Like you said, gear becomes a lifestyle.
Thank you, man. And I appreciate your insight, Hyde. It for sure is a lifestyle change. Some day. 32 is still young.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good god man. Good work on that cut. You obviously had everything pretty damn dialed in. Amazing you kept so much of your strength getting that lean from where you were.

Same here except no kids which means my day js nowhere near as difficult or jam packed as what your day to day must be. I always say I have no clue how the people in my class who have kids made it through didactic year.

ER is its own little world...thats the first type of medicine that I ever knew and I think its really hard to do medicine differently after youve practiced it (or observed it and interacted with it in my case) that way for a few years. I was always amazed with the flight nurses and thought that’d be cool AF to end up being one of those providers...a lot of them knew damn near as much about the clinical practice for acute care as some of the ER docs. I could see you doing that for sure given your background.

How long are your rotations? Ours are 5 weeks and it makes for some of the strangest experiences - just long enough where you can find your groove for the last 5-10 work days but so short to where you cant truly evaluate some of them. Also in some cases just long enough to know that you’re excited for them to end and that it aint for you lol. Im currently in my Surgery rotation with the IHS down on the Navajo Reservation in NM. It’s been good so far, although ive still not experienced enough to decidedly say i want to go into ER or a surgery subspecialty yet...which i knew going into school. I dont have too much time left to decide so I better figure out quick since I graduate in the end of February. Also, NE whether isnt that bad...winters are pretty similar to Chicago honestly (but dont say that to a New Englander...they think theyve got the worst winters in all of the world it seems like). The biggest difference is the fact its overcast 75% of the year where I’m at so yah that blows.
February is coming up! That's exciting, man.

6 week rotations for each 8 week course. I still have 1.5 years left.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thank you, man. And I appreciate your insight, Hyde. It for sure is a lifestyle change. Some day. 32 is still young.
I would do more independent research if anabolics really interest you. I would say the one real prerequisite is to be very educated and really be ready to pay the piper. It’s not a game, and people do mess themselves up too often.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Sumo Deadlift
545x1
575x1
585x4 singles

SSB Pin Good Mornings
295x5x4

Belt Squat
6pps x4x6

Reverse hyper and hanging leg raises in between belt squats.

Things moved well, no complaints. Though I'm considering deadlifting after squats here on out. I did last week; main squat followed by main pull and did my lower assistance later in the week. Reason being is that my hips felt better recovered doing that.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Are you seriously belt-squatting 540lbs???
Yessir. I hold a PVC across my back and try to mimic my squat. I guess it sounds like a lot but it's a belt squat. Lever arm and physics and stuff? I'll probably do Anderson squats next week on the 2nd lower day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yessir. I hold a PVC across my back and try to mimic my squat. I guess it sounds like a lot but it's a belt squat. Lever arm and physics and stuff? I'll probably do Anderson squats next week on the 2nd lower day.
Yours isn't cable?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
He’s a freakin boss, Matt Wenning. Wish he would post here.
That would be awesome if he did. Sucks that he's putting most his content on his Patreon, though. But I get it.

I remember when Chris Duffin posted here way back when.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
No. It's like Matt Wenning's.
Ours is EFS cable. 3 plates is hard AF for me. Like 2 plates is real work for me. I wonder how much easier yours is vs you just being actually really strong. My bet is on stronger lol

That would be awesome if he did. Sucks that he's putting most his content on his Patreon, though. But I get it.

I remember when Chris Duffin posted here way back when.
Yeah and he was already strong AF then. I think he was just using prohormones and the supps of the day for a long time. Funny seeing the numbers he was putting up just on like 6 week Halodrol cycles!

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ours is EFS cable. 3 plates is hard AF for me. Like 2 plates is real work for me. I wonder how much easier yours is vs you just being actually really strong. My bet is on stronger lol

Yeah and he was already strong AF then. I think he was just using prohormones and the supps of the day for a long time. Funny seeing the numbers he was putting up just on like 6 week Halodrol cycles!
Lol I was curious and searched his earlier posts just now. It was him logging some Diesel test booster with some rookie numbers (rookie for him..) in 2007.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Friday: that stupid fucking lift called bench press

Pin Press
205x3
195x4x3
195x5 cluster singles

Buffalo Bar Bench
165x4x5

Incline CG Swiss Bar (closest neutral handles)
145x3x6

Cambered Bar BB Row
135x4x8-10

Light circuit of cable pull-overs, Duffin's upright row, hammer curls.

Flat bench can suck it. Incline gas felt surprisingly good the last 6 months, even having some working sets in the 8 range with 205 before, but not flat.

Warmup consisted of driving to the gym wearing the bow-tie, body tempering my pecs and biceps, some dumbell reps with 40s, and some facepulls and rotator cuff ****.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What if you just do incline or something for the bulk of the heavy work and just bench a few technique sessions leading up to the meet? I mean this only if bench is hurting. I’m just spitballing here, but when we are buggered on something we will do whatever we can to keep the mass and strength highest and then just do the real lift basically at comp when it counts.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What if you just do incline or something for the bulk of the heavy work and just bench a few technique sessions leading up to the meet? I mean this only if bench is hurting. I’m just spitballing here, but when we are buggered on something we will do whatever we can to keep the mass and strength highest and then just do the real lift basically at comp when it counts.
That is sound advice. My recent thought process has been trying to at least nail down technique. I can still do that and use incline after as you mentioned. Buffalo bar felt great at least but the groove is strangely different than straight bar.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
That is sound advice. My recent thought process has been trying to at least nail down technique. I can still do that and use incline after as you mentioned. Buffalo bar felt great at least but the groove is strangely different than straight bar.
That,to me, sounds like the best plan. Lighter technique then hammer the most specific variant that can really be pushed.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Insane transformation Sean. Just incredible.
Still in! Haha

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
4 weeks out. This week is a small decrease in load but slight increase in volume. Friday I'll pull sumo for 75%.

Next week volume drops and intensity increases. I'll hit my biggest squats of this peak and deadlift opener and possible 2nd attempt if I feel good.

2 weeks out, I'll hit my squat opener and pull 80ish% for my deadlift.

Meet week I'll hit everything 75%.

Today:
Squat
530x6x2

Deficit Sumo w/ Chain
425+80x5x3

Lightweight Feel-good Circuit x2
GHR/Reverse Hyper/Hack Sq/HLR

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Comp Bench
205x3x1

Incline Buffalo Bar
200x5x3

Incline CG Swiss
165x4x5

Neutral Grip Pullups
3x12

Seated Cable Row
4x12-15

Rear Delt Fly
4x25

Hammer Curls
4x12-15

Yeah, flat bench sucks. Incline good.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Comp Bench
215x3 singles
185x5x3

Incline Axle
163x4x6

Overhead Cable Ext
CG Cable Row
Duffin Upright Row
Dumbell Curls

Relatively painless AC joint today. Soft tissue work helped. All assistance was Gironda-esque 8x8.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Things are coming together. Primary squat day. I was aiming for 3 singles around 95% and everything felt good. I was still switched on after squats so I decided to pull. Ended with 605 each.

Also, decided to bench as well. I'm only lifting 3x/wk now since my clinicals have started back up so I hit a decent single. I'll bench with some more volume Wednesday morning.

Friday will be some Anderson squats and Zercher good mornings. Bodyweight is 190. I'm counting calories 100 below maitenance (room for error) and imagine I'll level out 188-189, which is perfect.

Today:

Lunges forwards and backwards for a few minutes straight. Cossack squats. Side planks. KB RDL. Soft tissue work on bottom of the foot and calve.

Squat w/Texas Squat Bar
145x2x5
235x2x3
325x3
415x1
505x1
535x1 (this needs to be 545 instead)
575x1 (today's target)
595x1
605x1

Deadlift w/ Texas Deadlift Bar
225x5 (knees to lockout only)
315x3
405x2x1
495x1
545x1
585x1 (target)
605x1

Comp Bench
95x3x25
135x5
165x3
185x1
205x1
224x1 (target)
245x1

Supersetted 5 neutral grip pullups between each bench set. I finished with a light 3 round circuit of reverse hyper, neutral grip pullups, ghr, hack squat.

http://instagr.am/p/B4dI_cdgtt3/

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Benched yesterday. 215 for singles. Then incline w/185 for 5's. Back work. Weighing 189.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yup, Nov 23.

It's an easy water cut but... Lectures & clinicals will make it hard to consistently drink. I'm just going to have to pound it before and after.

Or shove a catheter in my dick and tape a bag to my leg.
What if you tape a tube AROUND the shaft instead of urethral insertion? Still get secret relief with none of the gaping flaws (see what I did there?).

Remember to use Vitamin C, B complex, Dandelion Root, & Caffeine after water cutoff to keep promoting urination for the coming hours.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What if you tape a tube AROUND the shaft instead of urethral insertion? Still get secret relief with none of the gaping flaws (see what I did there?).

Remember to use Vitamin C, B complex, Dandelion Root, & Caffeine after water cutoff to keep promoting urination for the coming hours.
Condom catheter! Just gotta find an extra small.

I bought a couple Nutraplanet deals a while back. Came with all sorts of **** for 8 bucks but really only bought it for the Quake pre and fish oil. But in them were some cellucor diuretics. I need to see what's in them. However, I've got the others loaded into an Amazon cart. I'm following Stan Efferding's water cut protocol-which is pretty standard, and has your recommendations as well.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Today:

Anderson Squats
475x1
405x5 singles every 30 seconds

Zercher Good Mornings
365x3
315x3x3

I wanted to keep stress high another day this week and this accomplished that without having too much of a load.