Scoop

Kaiyas_daddy

Awards
  • Established
I've never measured amount of servings in a bottle nor have I weighted out my servings so...

Is the universal serving size scoop (if not stated clearly) = 1 level scoop or 1 heaping scoop or in b/w. Most supps just label "1 scoop"

MonteRXS

MonteRXS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I've seen a lot of companies label "heaping scoop" if it is not supposed to be a level scoop. The other thing is the weight of the scoop should be listed as well.

Ex:

Serving size: 1 scoop (3.7g)

So you could weigh out a serving on a scale to see how accurate a scoop is and then go from there.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've seen a lot of companies label "heaping scoop" if it is not supposed to be a level scoop. The other thing is the weight of the scoop should be listed as well.

Ex:

Serving size: 1 scoop (3.7g)

So you could weigh out a serving on a scale to see how accurate a scoop is and then go from there.
Yep. This.

I'm OCD and always level the top off just for consistency (whether I'm getting less than I should or not). I can't do the rounded scoop knowing it may be off each time lol.

mickc1965

mickc1965

Awards
  • Established
I weigh the powder, in fact I weigh everything I put inside my body, not yet asked a restaurant the weight of everything, that would take my OCD to another level and the missus thinks I am nuts now

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Solid advice above. My rule is, when on prep - weight everything, always. When not on prep - check the scoop weight a few times to confirm, then go by eye

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yep. This.

I'm OCD and always level the top off just for consistency (whether I'm getting less than I should or not). I can't do the rounded scoop knowing it may be off each time lol.
I'm the same. Not really due to OCD, but more or less because a full scoop is usually too much. Sure, extra protein is good, but then it costs me more out of my pocket since the tub would go quicker. Or with pre workouts, I don't want to be cracked out.

Literally almost everything I have used a "serving" of is off when measured.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't I have ever thought that much about it. I will be buying a new scale to try thing.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ I'm with the above as well. I've never really weighed it out or thought about it that much but I need to pick up a scale!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fun side story -- I bought a food scale back in 2010 when I got really serious into prepping. Hadn't used it for a few years (one of those things where you get to a point of eyeballing pretty well when you eat the same thing for enough years), but wanted to really dial it in for a bit, so I busted it out and was weighing some chicken. Seemed like I wasn't getting very much, but whatever. Then after 2 days I was like, hmmm, so I found a 10g weight I had for recalibrating my tiny micro scale that I use for supps, put it on there and it shows up saying 30g LOL. I tried resetting it and everything, but that stupid scale is just done for. And it's showing 3x off (I tested it on a couple other things and it proved to be consistent in its inaccuracy).

So for 2 days I ate WAY less protein than I'd intended...smh