Scar tissue on calves

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My calves are ate up with scar tissue from not takin care of them. I’m 44 and this has been an issue for 15 years. I get deep tissue massages about every other year but the issues come back. It shows up when I run. I’ll be running along and a “charlie horse” so to say takes me to my knees. Along with PT I’ve had a doppler type MRI done and blood flow or compartment syndrome isn’t a problem. This year I’m getting fitted for shoes but my main question.... is there anything supplement or non supplement I can take either orally or TD that could help with the scar tissue?

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What calf injuries have created the scar tissue?

What diagnostic imaging has identified the scar tissue?

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What calf injuries have created the scar tissue?

What diagnostic imaging has identified the scar tissue?
Running has caused micro tears, it isn’t just 1 or 2 injuries that have happened at some point. It’s on both calfs. I haven’t had any imaging of scar tissue on my calfs but I’ve had several sports PT’s tell me it’s scar tissue and they say it’s some of the worst they have encountered.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What happens when u take prednisone or medrol dose pack? Do they help?

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you need to get deep tissue massage and remove the scar tissue. It hurts like hell. you squeem and squarm.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would try the corticosteroids. Either your PCP or Ortho would give it a try without any problem.

I am super skeptical of the scar tissue diagnosis. It's nothing more than a guess.

It's good that u've ruled out compartment syndrome. But I've seen many times where they only test 1 compartment and patients have to go back to have other compartments addressed. I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but I think ur next step is more diagnostics to be more specific.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would try the corticosteroids. Either your PCP or Ortho would give it a try without any problem.

I am super skeptical of the scar tissue diagnosis. It's nothing more than a guess.

It's good that u've ruled out compartment syndrome. But I've seen many times where they only test 1 compartment and patients have to go back to have other compartments addressed. I'm not saying this is your specific issue, but I think ur next step is more diagnostics to be more specific.
Exercise induced compartment has not been ruled out. The doppler MRI was obviously done without a pump in my calfs. More info here.... I have severely flat feet and I under pronate with a heel strike running style. This is why I’m getting fitted for shoes. My PT thinks this is my biggest issue. I have had some success with magnesium oil and DMSO. I apply twice before I run about 45 min apart and then apply after I run. I also wear compression socks. My PT says he can tell by doing myofascial release that it is scar tissue. Thanks for your help.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ever try Graston?

Depending on how frequently its done and your recovery I could see it having a benefit for such a chronic issue.

If its exercise induced compartment syndrome however thats another story.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ever try Graston?

Depending on how frequently its done and your recovery I could see it having a benefit for such a chronic issue.

If its exercise induced compartment syndrome however thats another story.
Yes I’ve tried graston and the messages by hand did better for me. I don’t believe it’s anything compartment related though.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I’ve had it done 5 or 6 times, it’s in my op.
Probably need to do it more often , if it doesn't help after ten times, then stop.

May be something you continually need to do if scar tissue keeps happening. and or finding the caue of scar tissue and eliminating that.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Probably need to do it more often , if it doesn't help after ten times, then stop.

May be something you continually need to do if scar tissue keeps happening. and or finding the caue of scar tissue and eliminating that.
How do you eliminate it?

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote

Also I’m lucky that my wife runs a 1k BR hospital and so my insurance allows me up to 30 PT sessions a year free

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you eliminate it?
by keeping that scar tissue smoothed out. In addition Physical therapy, different movements, stretching, etc ultrasound would help if you have access to that.

DWeaver

DWeaver

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
by keeping that scar tissue smoothed out. In addition Physical therapy, different movements, stretching, etc ultrasound would help if you have access to that.
I think that’s my biggest issue is when everything feels good I let PT go and it all comes back in a few weeks.