Resistant Starch?

Gutterpump

Banned
What is this resistant starch that's being mentioned in this article, for baking with?

Invalid Link Removed

I take a carb powder pre-workout that has various rates of absorption, but can't cook with it. I've tried googling this product (RS), but can't find anything in specific to purchase.

Anyone know specifically what this article is talking about?

"The researchers used an industrially produced resistant starch. They don’t name the product, but it could well be hydroxypropyl-distarch phosphate made from waxy maize starch. "
 
Looked into this before too, none commercially available to me though :(

It would be difficult to track though, for the avid macro-loggers, from my understanding calorie labels would still have to list higher than what these studies claim you would be able to utilize
 
I've learned of a way to create resistant starch at home. I'll get the info and post it up in this thread, and will try it out soon.

I'll have to dig out my blood glucose meter for this little experiment.
 
91kfFHpRelL._SY679_.jpg


packaged3.jpg


Invalid Link Removed
 
If Bob's redmill has it,
I may be able to track that down
 
Potato starch is one that was found to be resistant to complete digestion

I was under the impression that this was only true when prepared a certain way though... I had this impression for most of the starches IIRC
 
I was under the impression that this was only true when prepared a certain way though... I had this impression for most of the starches IIRC

Hrm.... in this case, maybe I should try my experiment with one of the starches above, and prepare it the same way you're thinking (likely the same as what I had read about). I could try a blood glucose test after trying it both ways to see if it will make a difference.
 
Hrm.... in this case, maybe I should try my experiment with one of the starches above, and prepare it the same way you're thinking (likely the same as what I had read about). I could try a blood glucose test after trying it both ways to see if it will make a difference.

I'm not even certain that a blood glucose test would tell the tale correctly... This is total speculation on my part; but I would reason to guess that regardless of the preparation or status (resistant or not), the starch that is immediately absorbed/used would still cause an insulin spike as well as blood glucose spike... the only way to tell would be total caloric usage from this starch, or a long term measure that would show the complete input vs absorption over the entire ingested amount.

would be interested to see your test though. Could do something simple like a white potato vs the starch?
 
I'll give it a shot soon, maybe this weekend. I just need to find my blood glucose meter and buy some new pins for it.

I'm also on at the moment, so I'm not sure if this will skew the results. Every time I eat carbs, I get a huge pump, so I feel like my nutrient partitioning is highly elevated atm.
 
I was under the impression that this was only true when prepared a certain way though... I had this impression for most of the starches IIRC

Yes, it was an odd preparation method.

Maybe that's why I never bothered... Hmm
 
Invalid Link Removed

the resistant starch (RS) is found in the potatoes and green bananas raw. There doesn't need to be any special preparation. However, the way you prepare the food (re: starch) will have an effect on the RS content.

Invalid Link Removed
 
see the second link

Researchers from the USDA Agricultural Research Service (ARS) Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center in North Dakota and the University of Minnesota developed a standardized protocol to examine the amount of resistant starch in three different potato varieties (Yukon Gold, Red Norland and Russet Burbank) subjected to two methods of preparation (baking or boiling) and served at three service temperatures (hot, chilled for 6 days and chilled followed by reheating). Results show that the resistant starch content of potatoes varied significantly by method of preparation and service temperature but not variety (p > 0.05). More specifically, regardless of potato variety, the baked potatoes had significantly higher resistant starch at 3.6 grams of starch per 100 grams of food (3.6/100g on average) than boiled potatoes (2.4/100g). Also on average, chilled potatoes (whether originally baked or boiled) contained the most resistant starch (4.3/100g ) followed by chilled-and-reheated potatoes (3.5/100g) and potatoes served hot (3.1/100g).
 
I see. You guys are talking about the work from that Sir Lanka university that was making waves a while back.

That was a specific thing the researchers did to INCREASE the RS content of the rice.

Rice itself contains RS already - Invalid Link Removed

What the researchers found was a way to dramatically increase the RS %. As cited above though (Invalid Link Removed
) we already knew cooking changes the RS breakdown.

But back to the question, if you are looking for some sort of flour that has relatively high RS, then use one of those I posted earlier but realize how they are prepared changes the RS amount.
 
Doesn't letting potatoes cool after cooking them increase the resistant starch quite a bit? Even if reheated, I remember reading, the resistant starch remained higher
 
Doesn't letting potatoes cool after cooking them increase the resistant starch quite a bit? Even if reheated, I remember reading, the resistant starch remained higher

Yes, I believe that's what the study referenced above said.
 
Back
Top