repeatable meal

BPB

Awards
I was wondering if anyone has a meal or two that hits all/most nutritional checkpoints that would also be convenient for me to take to class. My current diet which i am looking to change is really 2 or 3 meals that i repeat throughout the day, but i am also eating very low carbs, which i would like to change. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

BPB

hamper19

hamper19

The True Warrior is one who conquers oneself
Awards
  • Established
There is this stuff called "Wasa bread" or something...it's good for you. Decent amount of fiber and it will add to your good carbs.

Make a boat load of tuna or chicken salad, slap some on two slices of that, and pack as many "sandwiches" as you can carry....

Personally I cringe when i hear "Chicken breast and brown rice"...ugh..well not really the brown rice part, but chicken breast is my enemy..its just so boring..

here's a picture of the "bread" http://sternerson.com/2005/made_in_sweden/dsc04880.jpg

h19

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
you're certainly right that chicken and rice can get damn boring after a while...

check out our recipie section, there are many good ideas there :)

MaynardMeek

Awards
  • Established
chicken breast may be boring but there are so many zero everything seasonings that can help with it.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
yeah the chicken breast thing is more of a mental thing with me...I mean I get the whole "I don't eat food for the taste, but for what it does to my body" thing...but eh..I can't make it a staple in my diet anymore...

Spartan117

Awards
I take chicken and brown rice burritos. I use low carb wheat tortillas.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
I just got some canned chicken..comes like tuna...ish is good..

h19

Awards
i like cooking broccli and green beans in bulk. some times i add other veggies. my favorite way to cook is stry fry or bake.

BPB

Awards
ooooo...canned chicken. that sounds good actually but should i be concerned with the amount of sodium in there?

bpmartyr

bpmartyr

Snuggle Club™ mascot
Awards
  • Established
Pretty much what I eat everyday:

3:00 am
2 scoops Matrix 5.0 orange cream
1 cup skim milk
1 cup berries (straw/rasp/blue)_________
29g carbs, 3 g fat, 50 g protein, 379 cals

5:00 am
2 g fish oil
1/4 Cup oats with cinnamon & Splenda_
14 g carbs, 3.5 g fat, 2.5 g protein, 95 cals

5:30 am
Weight training 30-40 min
Cardio, low intensity 30 min

7:00 am
¼ cup oats
1 egg
½ cup egg whites
14 g carbs, 7.5 g fat, 20.5 g protein, 203 cals

9:00 am
Yogurt
Banana
37 g carbs, .3 g fat, 9 g protein, 186.7 cals

10:30 am
1 cup broccoli -raw
½ can Tungol no salt tuna
2 slices Sara Lee delightful 100% whole wheat w/mustard
Balsamic vinegar & Olive oil
23 g carbs, 12. g fat, 30.5 g protein, 305 cals

12:30 pm
1 cup rice (brown or white basmati)
Salmon patties from Trader Joes
1/3 can white beans
59 g carbs, 4.5 g fat, 53 g protein, 488.5 cals

2:30 pm
½ can Tungol no salt tuna
2 slices Sara Lee delightful 100% whole wheat w/mustard
Balsamic vinegar & Olive oil
18 g carbs, 12 g fat, 28 g protein, 275 cals

4:00 pm
apple
Yogurt
29 g carbs, .2 g fat, 8 g protein, 150.6 cals

6:30 pm
Chicken breast tenderloins
Spinach & broccoli salad
Balsamic & Olive oil dressing
15 g carbs, 11 g fat, 32 g protein, 287 cals

7:30 pm
Martial arts or light cardio

9:00 pm
2 g fish oil
1 scoop Matrix 5.0
Yogurt
16 g carbs, 3.5 g fat, 31 g protein, 219.5 cals

10:00 pm
Bedtime

1:00 am
½ cup All Bran
½ cup skim milk
29 g carbs, 1 g fat, 8 g protein, 120 cals

Totals
Carbs 288 1152 cals 41%
Fat 58.5 526.5 cals 19%
Protein 275 1100 cals 40%

2778.5 Total kcals

Fiber at roughly 42 grams.

Water intake 1-2 gallons, adjusted as necessary.

powerlifter6920

It depends on your bodyweight for starters, and if your maintaining, cutting, or bulking.

The ol chicken breast potatoe broccoli is a good staple, but I don't eat much of any potatoe product when I am trying to cut.

I'm also gonna order some brown rice today for the first time and give that a whirl.

Jwillbc55

Awards
I have work followed by class everyday so I pack 2 meals to take with me and it's basically always either chicken or turkey with brown rice or oatmeal. Get a rice cooker and always have some rice cooking and get some tupperware and you'll be ready with a meal at all times of the day. If I am in a real hurry it's 2 scoops of chocolate whey and 1 cup of oats...add water and chug.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
ooooo...canned chicken. that sounds good actually but should i be concerned with the amount of sodium in there?

That's funny you mentioned that b/c I was thinking that after looking at the can again yesterday. Personally my diet is fairly low in sodium with my other meals...

I got a 10 oz can of chicken, I think it said 180 mg/serving of sodium. Think the can was 4 or 5 servings? I wouldn't be concerned so much if it was me.

h19

BPB

Awards
I think i might look into that. I am not sure the macro breakdown of it, but i think i am goign to try and find some combo of brown rice, veggies, chicken, with som olive/flax oil, make a 40/40/20 combo, and then repeat that meal 5-7 times a day.

Do you think using a strainer, putting chicken in that and then running water over it in the hopes to rinse a bit of the sodium off of it.

hamper19

hamper19

Awards
  • Established
You could try, i mean it might take SOME of the sodium out of it. What is the RDA of sodium like 2400mg or less day i think.

I mean if you are going to eat a whole can 5 times a day I would be concerned, but 1 can once a day is fine IMO

Don't forget that we probably sweat a lot more then the avg person, who should adhere to the 2400mg/day RDA. That said, having a bit more won't F you up I wouldn't think.

h19

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
i eat canned chicken ALL the time ... don't worry about the sodium not that big of a deal seriously

BPB

Awards
thanks for the replies everyone,

glenihan, have you noticed a extreme amount of water retention? And how is your blood pressure doing?

I think i might do the canned chicken thing. Here is what i am thinking.

I will eat this 7 times a day, including 1 hour after i workout. I workout at night so i am done working out at 1130-12 and last meal 230-1am. I am shooting for 4000 cals a day with roughly a 40/40/20 macro breakdown.

1 cup brown rice
1 can of chicken
1 cup carrots
1 cup celery
1 cup green/red/yellow peppers
1 cup spinach
1 tbsp of olive/flax oil. I will alternate which one i use.

I was also thinking i would rotate in extra lean beef for a few meals if this meal plan works out.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

BPB

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
1 can Kirkland Chicken
3 Servings or 1 3/4 cups Oatmeal
1 tbsp olive oil

Mix, eat. All transportable, no refridgeration needed.

Macro Breakdown:
96grams 38% - Protein
85grams 38% - Carbs
27grams 24% - Fats

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
nope no water retention noticed

last time BP was checked was 109/72

BPB

Awards
awsome, thanks glenihan, I am going to tive it a try.

CDB, thanks for that recipe as well, i will alternate the meals i am thinking to give a slight bit f variation.

On a somewhat different topic, I am switching to this meal plan from following John Berardi's recomendations, so i wasn't eating a whole lot of carbs during the day other than workout times and a bit after. Does anyone have any experience with his meal plans?

Thanks again,
BPB