Remember Me? The Swanson52 Log of PL Program Hopping.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
284.0 today.

Vested walk, 1.25 miles. I’ve been unable to get my heart rate up for these lately; today it wouldn’t break 103. More weight in the vest, because I’m sure as hell not jogging.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
286.2. Not sure why.

DEADS
135x7
185x5
225x5
245x3
265x5

Rev Hyper
130x7x4

GHR
+5x7x4

KB swings, curls, done.

In case you’re wondering, my weight is fluctuating because we’re making adjustments to my TRT protocol. I’m holding water like crazy. No, Skip does not suck. Lol.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
288 after getting with it on legs yesterday. Might even be a tad sore.

Trash session today. Not even going to post it, because I backslid in almost every exercise from last week. Nothing alarming, just getting used to a couple weeks of 315AM sessions.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Adjustments.JPG

Skipload meal from Denver Biscuit Co. All items are biscuits. French toast, cinnamon roll, biscuits and gravy, then a granola/fruit/yogurt mashup.

I look forward to Saturday mornings.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
View attachment 194724

Skipload meal from Denver Biscuit Co. All items are biscuits. French toast, cinnamon roll, biscuits and gravy, then a granola/fruit/yogurt mashup.

I look forward to Saturday mornings.
That place is phenomenal! Haven’t been there in a while as I try to avoid Denver at all costs these days lol. That’s a good looking spread there.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That place is phenomenal! Haven’t been there in a while as I try to avoid Denver at all costs these days lol. That’s a good looking spread there.
You in Colorado?

It is phenomenal. I’m going to graze on it for 3 hours.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After my awful session on Friday, I’m committing to DAILY thoracic mobility. This 12 year old boy shoulder strength has gotta go. I’m just at work marinating on my weaknesses.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice. Parker here. Work at E470/I70. Where do you train?
Basically neighbors. Pre covid I was training at my regular powerlifting gym. In January he shut it down to move locations and completely lucked out because he didn’t sign the lease for the new property due to the shutdown. Waiting to see what happens before opening back up again.
So for the recent months I’ve been training at home, buddy’s basement, and bouncing around a few commercial gyms since opening back up. How bout you?

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Basically neighbors. Pre covid I was training at my regular powerlifting gym. In January he shut it down to move locations and completely lucked out because he didn’t sign the lease for the new property due to the shutdown. Waiting to see what happens before opening back up again.
So for the recent months I’ve been training at home, buddy’s basement, and bouncing around a few commercial gyms since opening back up. How bout you?
I go to the Junkyard in Parker. I switched over about a week before gyms shut down, but he stayed open under the radar for people that were willing to go. He’s back in business now with the 10 person limit.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I go to the Junkyard in Parker. I switched over about a week before gyms shut down, but he stayed open under the radar for people that were willing to go. He’s back in business now with the 10 person limit.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IMG_1937.JPG

Little sleep data from my Apple Watch. I’m not sure what it all means yet, but 7 hours of deep sleep seems pretty good.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just gave your gym a peek on the World Wide Web. Looks like a really cool place with a ton of talent and knowledge to boot!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just gave your gym a peek on the World Wide Web. Looks like a really cool place with a ton of talent and knowledge to boot!
Jesse, the owner, is fantastic. He has competed for a long ass time, and has put up 700/400/6-something in the 220’s. He’s also a PT, and he’s gotten me through a bunch of nagging ****. He gave me the program I’m following now. It’s a great little spot to train. There are bigger, more equipped gyms around, but nobody cares more than he does about the members.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
291.4 post load yesterday

288.6 today. Still holding water from increased TRT dosing. One more bump with this week’s injection, then things should start trending downward again.

DUFFALO BAR SQUATS
145x7
195x5
220x5
245x5
270x5x2

SSB
260x7x4

The usual split sq., belt squat, leg curls, rev lunges. Felt 100x better today than last week. Alcohol is SO detrimental to performance.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

BENCH
135x7
155x5
185x5
205x5
225x5

INCLINE DB PRESS
95x7x4

SINGLE ARM FLAT DB PRESS
70x7x3

CGBP
205x7x4

DB SKULLCRUSHERS
35x7x4

BAND PRESSDOWN
9x4

Not a bad day.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
After reading Swede Burns’ 5th Set books, and having a conversation with Sean, I’m going to shelve competing for a year. My number one focus is dropping fat, and I won’t accomplish that trying to serve 2 masters. Swede recommends waiting 8-14 weeks on maintenance cals between dieting and competing.

I’m working with Skip through December, and I hope to be in the 240’s by then. After that, I’ll up my cals to maintenance then train til prob April, and look at competing at that time.

I’ll finish this 12 week cycle I’m on (7 left), then evaluate what program to run for the remainder of my cut. Leaning towards 5th set, but at heart I’m a 5/3/1 guy. TBD.

dapack

dapack

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
5th set is not to bad and when I ran 5/3/1 for like a year that was pretty good too for me. Just got a little bored so sometimes a change is good.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5th set is not to bad and when I ran 5/3/1 for like a year that was pretty good too for me. Just got a little bored so sometimes a change is good.
I titled this log the way I did for a reason. LOL! I get bored pretty quickly, 12-16 weeks is about my max for a program. I absolutely love 5/3/1 because I can change it up so much while staying true to the core principles.

I will give 5th Set a try for a couple mesocycles at least, just to see how it goes. When I get around 12-14 weeks out I’ll assess and see what I need to do.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
283.6. Nothing going on today. Might go for a 30 minute walk tonight, but nada for gym.

SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Jesse, the owner, is fantastic. He has competed for a long ass time, and has put up 700/400/6-something in the 220’s. He’s also a PT, and he’s gotten me through a bunch of nagging ****. He gave me the program I’m following now. It’s a great little spot to train. There are bigger, more equipped gyms around, but nobody cares more than he does about the members.
Very nice! If I’m ever down in your neck of the woods I’ll drop you a line and see about a session.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very nice! If I’m ever down in your neck of the woods I’ll drop you a line and see about a session.
I’m down to get embarrassed! Lol.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DEADLIFT
135x5
185x5
225x5
255x5
275x5
300x5x2

GHR
+5x7x4

REV HYPER
150x7x4

KB swings, curls, KB rows.

Quick and easy day.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
282.6. Might have my hormones on track

DUFFALO SQUAT
145x7
195x5
235x5
255x5
295x5
305x5

SSB
265x7x4

Belt squat, split squat, leg curls.

Decent day. Finally moving up in weight.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BENCH
135x5
165x5
185x5
215x5
235x5

CGBP
225x7x4

INCLINE DB
95x8x4

FLAT SINGLE ARM DB
70x7x3

Band pressdowns, skullcrushers.

281.4 this am.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
DEADS
135x5
195x5
230x5
285x3
305x3
320x5

REV HYPER
180x7x4

GHR
+10x7x4

Curls, KB swings, KB rows.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Back at it at 290.4 and squats.

SQUATS
145x7
195x5
235x5
285x5
305x5
335x5

SSB
225x7x5

Belt squat, leg curls.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
BENCH
135x7x2
175x5
205x5
235x5
250x5x2

INCLINE DB
100x7x4

CGBP
235x7x4

ONE ARM FLAT DB PRESS
80x7x3

DB SKULLCRUSHERS
35x7x4

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Anybody else work rotating or night shifts? I’m on day 1 of 7 nights.

Also, looking ahead...anybody have experience with conjugate? EliteFTS has a 16 week conjugate template that’s interesting. I’m going back and forth between 5th set and conjugate. Opinions welcome.

Last edited:
SkRaw85

SkRaw85

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Anybody else work rotating or night shifts? I’m on day 1 of 7 nights.

Also, looking ahead...anybody have experience with conjugate? EliteFTS has a 16 week conjugate template that’s interesting. I’m going back and forth between 5th set and conjugate. Opinions welcome.
I used to do the whole rotating night shift game for 5 years. Not going to lie it took a lot of death metal and caffeine to wake up and gooooo. I’ve had success with conjugate templates. I’d recommend getting all your lifts back close to where they were before starting that one. 5th set I’ve been reading on but haven’t started yet. It’s in the lineup though for sure. @Hyde and @jswain34 can help you more with that method.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just got all caught up, enjoyed the log so far - thanks for the mention @SkRaw85.

I have done both. Conjugate poorly, because there is a ton to really grock if you intend to really do it correctly for yourself while minimizing injury. Over recent years since I have listened to a lot of podcasts with Louie and read a lot more, and basically what most people think the WSBB iteration of the conjugate method is pretty wrong. You need to pick max effort movements VERY wisely (based on intelligent honest deconstruction of your lifting), wave them appropriately in the right quantity, not actually max out, not overdo speed work (and understand when volume work is more appropriate), select useful accessories, and actually build a tremendous work capacity for accessories because that is where most of your actual volume should be.

5th Set is the truth. It’s basically all laid out for you, and if you stick to the script it will provide results for almost everyone without any real introspection. It even accounts for periodization of PED use by the athlete, if applicable. You just follow the program and do the work, and in 6 months you will PR.

Either program requires longterm commitment to see fruition. Plan on 6 months with either.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
280.6. Hopefully I can dip into the 270’s this week.

Deads
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
315x3
335x5
350x5x2

The gym owner watched my top sets of 5, and for the second set, he had me move my hands out to the knurling (I pull sumo). What a freaking difference. My starting position was better, the pull was smoother, and (of course) I was able to grip it better since I was off the smooth part.

REV HYPER
200x7x4

GHR
+10x7x5

Curls, KB swings.

Deads felt good and moved fast.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I used to do the whole rotating night shift game for 5 years. Not going to lie it took a lot of death metal and caffeine to wake up and gooooo. I’ve had success with conjugate templates. I’d recommend getting all your lifts back close to where they were before starting that one. 5th set I’ve been reading on but haven’t started yet. It’s in the lineup though for sure. @Hyde and @jswain34 can help you more with that method.
My honest concern is my lifts won’t get back to where they used to be. My best numbers are 6 years old, and as of right now I’m 40 pounds lighter and dropping. I might only be a 500/350/500 guy at 45 years old and 240 pounds.

Maybe I can do better than that after thinking about it. I’m only 60/10/45 away. It’ll just take time. However, I might never hit 6/4/6 again.

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just got all caught up, enjoyed the log so far - thanks for the mention @SkRaw85.

I have done both. Conjugate poorly, because there is a ton to really grock if you intend to really do it correctly for yourself while minimizing injury. Over recent years since I have listened to a lot of podcasts with Louie and read a lot more, and basically what most people think the WSBB iteration of the conjugate method is pretty wrong. You need to pick max effort movements VERY wisely (based on intelligent honest deconstruction of your lifting), wave them appropriately in the right quantity, not actually max out, not overdo speed work (and understand when volume work is more appropriate), select useful accessories, and actually build a tremendous work capacity for accessories because that is where most of your actual volume should be.

5th Set is the truth. It’s basically all laid out for you, and if you stick to the script it will provide results for almost everyone without any real introspection. It even accounts for periodization of PED use by the athlete, if applicable. You just follow the program and do the work, and in 6 months you will PR.

Either program requires longterm commitment to see fruition. Plan on 6 months with either.
Thanks for the feedback. I’m leaning 5th Set right now, just thought the EliteFTS conjugate program looked interesting. Conjugate might be better suited to maintenance calories. I’ll be in deficit til prob November.

The long term commitment is my problem. LOL.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
My honest concern is my lifts won’t get back to where they used to be. My best numbers are 6 years old, and as of right now I’m 40 pounds lighter and dropping. I might only be a 500/350/500 guy at 45 years old and 240 pounds.

Maybe I can do better than that after thinking about it. I’m only 60/10/45 away. It’ll just take time. However, I might never hit 6/4/6 again.
Don’t set limits. You don’t know what the future holds and they don’t help you in any way.

Set realistic immediate goals that work towards longterm desires. Adjust accordingly along the way. Strength isn’t always a linear process unfortunately.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Don’t set limits. You don’t know what the future holds and they don’t help you in any way.

Set realistic immediate goals that work towards longterm desires. Adjust accordingly along the way. Strength isn’t always a linear process unfortunately.
Good advice sir. I shouldn’t put limit on myself. Thank you.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good advice sir. I shouldn’t put limit on myself. Thank you.
I was told that one time by 900lb deadlifter over a meal. He said never speak down on what you might be capable of, because you never really know what you might be able to do, unless you convince yourself you can’t - THEN you are assured not to.

He made it to worlds strongest man that year weighing under 270, and nearly made the finals.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was told that one time by 900lb deadlifter over a meal. He said never speak down on what you might be capable of, because you never really know what you might be able to do, unless you convince yourself you can’t - THEN you are assured not to.

He made it to worlds strongest man that year weighing under 270, and nearly made the finals.
That’s great advice. I indulge in a lot of negative self talk. I’ll just set goals and shoot for those mf’ers.

Here’s class 1 totals for men’s 242, 45-49 class;
Total-1287
Sq-489.5
Bp-319
Dl-478.5
Class 1 totals typically get you to national meets. Those are my competition goals. Weight goal is still 242’s, no timeframe but I’m hoping nov/dec.

If 242 isn’t possible, the class 1 numbers for 275 are attainable as well;
Total-1320
Sq-506
Bp-330
Dl-484

Last edited:
Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You can easily get those numbers. Just look back at your progress so far from day 1 in this log!
To be fair, the program I’m on right now started with really submaximal numbers and I pushed accessories. We’ll know how much progress I’ve made in about 5 weeks when I test 1rm and/or 3rm.

I’ve been reading both 5th Set books every night at work. I’m 99% certain I’m going with that for a macrocycle. Swede said a macrocycle is something like 156 days. I’ll def know how it works if I can commit that long. Lol.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How soon is too soon to set up my next training block?? Lol, nights are fucking boring.

286.2 today after a 3 hour load. 20’ vested walk.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I’ll bet I’ve read the 2 5th Set books 3 times each the last 3 nights. Here’s what I’ve outlined. Comments and/or critiques welcome.

Day 1-bench, board press, bb rows, triceps, curls
Day 2-squat, SSB, rev hyper, DB rows
Day 3-wide grip bench, dips, pull ups, face pulls
Day 4-deads, deficit deads, GHR, shrugs

Mesocycles 1&2 2-5 sets of 8-15 reps for 30-50 reps on msm.
Meso 3, 2-5 sets of 3-5 reps for 9-20 total reps.

Thoughts?