Recovery Drinks and Fat Gain

enash

Awards
I just wanted some experiences on recovery drinks. I'm considering using a recovery drink like Endurox or Surge post-workout to get that much talked about insulin spike and insure my body's getting what it needs to grow. Only thing is I'm concerned about the effects of all that sugar, as I keep a really clean diet and don't want to gain any body fat (imagine that). Has anyone had bad experiences with BF increase on recovery drinks? If you choose the right "window" to take it, are you safe? Also, if one is preferable over the other that info would be helpful.

Thx.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted some experiences on recovery drinks. I'm considering using a recovery drink like Endurox or Surge post-workout to get that much talked about insulin spike and insure my body's getting what it needs to grow. Only thing is I'm concerned about the effects of all that sugar, as I keep a really clean diet and don't want to gain any body fat (imagine that). Has anyone had bad experiences with BF increase on recovery drinks? If you choose the right "window" to take it, are you safe? Also, if one is preferable over the other that info would be helpful.

Thx.
You are totally safe as long as it is post WO. The insulin spike is intended to push the nutrients into your muscle and combat the catabolic effects of exercise. Your blood sugar and insulin will spike, but only for 35 to 50 min. then it will plummet. you need to make sure you eat again after an hr and that meal should be lo glycemic. then every thing will normalise. I do it all the time and I have no problem maintaining 5 to 7 % BF ;)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The effects of inuslin in terms of fat gain last much longer than the spike. You are not totally safe as studies show that not all circulating glucose gets utliized by the exercised muscle. Some is utilized by other organs AND adipose tissue. GLUT4 permeability si increased by exercise alone. The need for a large insulin spike is not needed.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Determinants of post-exercise glycogen synthesis during short-term recovery.

Jentjens R, Jeukendrup A.

Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK.

The pattern of muscle glycogen synthesis following glycogen-depleting exercise occurs in two phases. Initially, there is a period of rapid synthesis of muscle glycogen that does not require the presence of insulin and lasts about 30-60 minutes. This rapid phase of muscle glycogen synthesis is characterised by an exercise-induced translocation of glucose transporter carrier protein-4 to the cell surface, leading to an increased permeability of the muscle membrane to glucose. Following this rapid phase of glycogen synthesis, muscle glycogen synthesis occurs at a much slower rate and this phase can last for several hours. Both muscle contraction and insulin have been shown to increase the activity of glycogen synthase, the rate-limiting enzyme in glycogen synthesis. Furthermore, it has been shown that muscle glycogen concentration is a potent regulator of glycogen synthase. Low muscle glycogen concentrations following exercise are associated with an increased rate of glucose transport and an increased capacity to convert glucose into glycogen.The highest muscle glycogen synthesis rates have been reported when large amounts of carbohydrate (1.0-1.85 g/kg/h) are consumed immediately post-exercise and at 15-60 minute intervals thereafter, for up to 5 hours post-exercise. When carbohydrate ingestion is delayed by several hours, this may lead to ~50% lower rates of muscle glycogen synthesis. The addition of certain amino acids and/or proteins to a carbohydrate supplement can increase muscle glycogen synthesis rates, most probably because of an enhanced insulin response. However, when carbohydrate intake is high (>/=1.2 g/kg/h) and provided at regular intervals, a further increase in insulin concentrations by additional supplementation of protein and/or amino acids does not further increase the rate of muscle glycogen synthesis. Thus, when carbohydrate intake is insufficient (<1.2 g/kg/h), the addition of certain amino acids and/or proteins may be beneficial for muscle glycogen synthesis. Furthermore, ingestion of insulinotropic protein and/or amino acid mixtures might stimulate post-exercise net muscle protein anabolism. Suggestions have been made that carbohydrate availability is the main limiting factor for glycogen synthesis. A large part of the ingested glucose that enters the bloodstream appears to be extracted by tissues other than the exercise muscle (i.e. liver, other muscle groups or fat tissue) and may therefore limit the amount of glucose available to maximise muscle glycogen synthesis rates. Furthermore, intestinal glucose absorption may also be a rate-limiting factor for muscle glycogen synthesis when large quantities (>1 g/min) of glucose are ingested following exercise.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
Hey Bobo, O/t but what's your take on those during workout drinks such as ICE and Vendetta? Mainly curious about the BCAA drink, but if you could elaborate on both of them, I'd appreciatte it...

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like them. Good products.

enash

Awards
The article is very interesting indeed. So it sounds like I should just get the carbs I need
and not worry about taking a huge dose of glucose for an insulin spike, as the benefits don't seem to be proven at all, and it could pack some fat on.

Bobo,

What is your post workout nutrition like?

Thx again.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Skim Milk, Whey. Maye some other carb sources but always Low-Mod GI.

lifted

lifted

Awards
  • Established
I like them. Good products.
Since my workouts are always from 30-45 minutes and train only 3 times/week max, do you still think that this product could benefit me? Or would it only be beneficial to those who train more frequently and for longer periods?

Sorry enash, didn't mean to hijack here...

BTW, I switched to skim milk for everything now and I seem to have a LOT LESS mucous build-up now..not only that but the digesting seems to be going smoother to... ;)

Chunky

Awards
newbie question..."Low-Mod GI"? does that mean low doses of glucose?
Means that the food "X" has a glycemic index between 0 and 60-65 (the limit of mod G.I.). Higher the number is, higher the blood glucose level will be after 30min, 1h after eating it. Something you don't want to happen when you are a bodybuilder, except post workout, but then again, it's a tricky affirmation, since it is controversial.(sorry for the spelling if it's incorrect, Im a damn french Canadian :D)

Jag

Jag

Awards
  • Established
Skim Milk, Whey. Maye some other carb sources but always Low-Mod GI.
Bobo,

is the cassein of skim milk affected in any way during the process of turning full fat milk into skim milk?

we have NO-FAT milk here which i was thinking of using as post w/o.

Jag

Manu20

Manu20

Superman
Awards
  • Established
Since my workouts are always from 30-45 minutes and train only 3 times/week max, do you still think that this product could benefit me? Or would it only be beneficial to those who train more frequently and for longer periods?

Sorry enash, didn't mean to hijack here...

BTW, I switched to skim milk for everything now and I seem to have a LOT LESS mucous build-up now..not only that but the digesting seems to be going smoother to... ;)
Bobo I would also like to know your thoughts on this b/c my workouts usually last between 30 and 45 minutes too.

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Sorry Im not the Clown, but Ill give my piece.

I think it depends on the amount of volume and type of split you are using. Added to that, before you buy an expensive mix, try some whey and dextrose DURING. Im using 20/20 with 2 grams of creatine in about 12-18 oz of water and liking it. Especially since I finally gave in and am trying Bobo's low GI post workout for the first time. Would also depend on what your meal or meals before working out are. If its earlier in the day, or your only somewhat "full" of carbs it might be beneficial depending on goals cutting/bulking.