Recent study on Fish Oil

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
Guess I could have. Just thought people would get more out of the brief summarizations in the link provided.

JReinhal

Awards
  • Established
"CONCLUSIONS:
Daily supplementation with 1 g of n–3 fatty acids did not reduce the rate of cardiovascular events in patients at high risk for cardiovascular events".

TheGilmore

TheGilmore

Awards
In this double-blind study with a 2-by-2 factorial design, we randomly assigned 12,536 patients who were at high risk for cardiovascular events and had impaired fasting glucose, impaired glucose tolerance, or diabetes to receive a 1-g capsule containing at least 900 mg (90% or more) of ethyl esters of n–3 fatty acids or placebo daily and to receive either insulin glargine or standard care.
Just to note, it can't necessarily be applied to healthy populations.

I would be interested in a similar trial with an increased dosage.

PinchTheBear

Awards
This is valuable research for the medical community re. CVD, but it pretty much ends there.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
I'd like to see them use the same test subjects at a higher dose. That being said these could be morbidly obese folks the way they're described and if that's the case then they need a lot more medical intervention on top of fish oil. There are many other benefits to fish oil so don't throw it away just yet.

KGB1980

KGB1980

Awards
I'd like to see them use the same test subjects at a higher dose. That being said these could be morbidly obese folks the way they're described and if that's the case then they need a lot more medical intervention on top of fish oil. There are many other benefits to fish oil so don't throw it away just yet.
definitely agreed