Recent Achilles Rupture. My post-surgery recovery supplements

ChilledFaith

Awards
So I wanted to write this for 2 reasons, first to help anybody in my same situation and 2nd, to get any advice or ideas to improve my recovery. About 4 weeks ago I ruptured my achilles. It was a full tear of the tendon. For a little background, I am a D1 pole vaulter and it happened while running down the runway. I’ve never had achilles issues before, so it was a bit out of nowhere. Now onto the fun stuff!

What am I currently doing? As stated, 4 weeks ago I ruptured it, with surgery happening 4 days after the rupture. So I'm about 3 weeks out from surgery. After surgery, I was off the pain pills in about 3 days. Not a huge fan of pain pills so I got off as soon as possible, still pretty painful at that point but after a week it really wasn’t too bad. So, after I got off the pain pills I started my supplement regime for healing (hopefully). I’ve done a decent amount of research, but I am probably one of the least qualified people on this forum to speak on supplements (or so it seems). What I am currently taking: High-quality turmeric and curcumin, omega fish oils, a good multivitamin, hydrolyzed collagen, beet root extract (increasing NO has been shown to be beneficial in healing), glucosamine HCL (with MSM), ginseng and ashwagandha (not healing related so much as part of my normal routine), a calcium, magnesium, and zinc supplement, instantized L-leucine, creatine, and a vitamin B complex. As you can see, I’m taking a fair bit. Many of these have research backing them with helping healing (surgical or otherwise) or preserving muscle to prevent atrophy. I'm not going to go into my rehab much, or anything of that nature since it’s easily available online.

In terms of how it’s going so far, the scar looks really good and seems to have healed up nicely. I can post before and after pictures if anybody is curious. I'm getting range of motion back and able to stretch to 90 degrees (Doc won’t allow past that.) Rehab will be starting next week. I’ve lost what seems to be a fair amount of muscle in my injured leg. I don’t have a good way to test how much I’ve lost besides the measurements I've taken of my calf before surgery and today. Keep in mind the current measurement will be smaller than expected since the muscle hasn’t been used, more than atrophy, this also means there isn’t as much blood in the muscle, or no “pump” even as one would get from walking. The measurement before surgery was also after 2 days of not walking, so there may be some correlation between the two, but two days vs 4 weeks of not walking is a big difference in my mind.

Pre-surgery calf measurement (no flex or pump): 14.25in
Current calf measurement (3/23/2021): 13.5in
An interesting thing to note is that since I'm constantly on one leg, my other calf has grown to just above 14.5 in.

I’m not sure how much I’ll be updating this unless there is interest, but as stated, feel free to offer any advice or questions!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Maybe look into BPC157. It's an injectable peptide with some research behind it. Still a research chem, but available where I am (Australia, which is typically tighter than anywhere for drug restrictions) for human use with a script (can also be procured without a script for 20% of the cost). Also, not only the banned substance list as far as I'm aware (it's a naturally occurring peptide).

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Bpc-157 and TB-500 combined is supposed to be even better! I just started the TB-500 on Monday. Starting the bpc today. I've been stocking up on the TB-500 for a while. The 1st few weeks, you're injecting quite a bit.

ChilledFaith

Awards
Bpc-157 and TB-500 combined is supposed to be even better! I just started the TB-500 on Monday. Starting the bpc today. I've been stocking up on the TB-500 for a while. The 1st few weeks, you're injecting quite a bit.
Let me know how it goes, still debating on it! If there's significant improvement then I definitely may go for it!

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you have any logs or anywhere you’re updating progress with this combo I could follow? I’ll likely be doing the same, among other things, very soon.

Apologies for the interruption OP. I’ll echo the others’ comments regarding BPC. I’ve had some success with it in the past. Never used TB-500 though.

ANABOLICWRWLF

ANABOLICWRWLF

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
I've read a lot of good things on those two. I don't think BPC (body protective compound) can be banned since it is found endogenously in gastric juice but I don't know about TB.

Out of curiousity have you taken any antibiotics in the recent past? I ask because I was prescribed ciprofloxacin at the beginning of last year and after a single dose made me feel disturbingly ill I looked into the side effects. There are a pretty large number of patients who have experienced tendon rupture and most often achilles rupture. As I recall there was another similar antibiotic within the fluoroquinolone class that had similar drastic side effects. Just a thought as you said the rupture was out of the blue.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Do you have any logs or anywhere you’re updating progress with this combo I could follow? I’ll likely be doing the same, among other things, very soon.

Apologies for the interruption OP. I’ll echo the others’ comments regarding BPC. I’ve had some success with it in the past. Never used TB-500 though.
I don't have any log, but I figured I'd probably just do a final review of my results.

ChilledFaith

Awards
I've read a lot of good things on those two. I don't think BPC (body protective compound) can be banned since it is found endogenously in gastric juice but I don't know about TB.

Out of curiousity have you taken any antibiotics in the recent past? I ask because I was prescribed ciprofloxacin at the beginning of last year and after a single dose made me feel disturbingly ill I looked into the side effects. There are a pretty large number of patients who have experienced tendon rupture and most often achilles rupture. As I recall there was another similar antibiotic within the fluoroquinolone class that had similar drastic side effects. Just a thought as you said the rupture was out of the blue.
No, it's probably been a couple of years since I've been on antibiotics. Most likely it is our training, we have had 5 Achilles ruptures this year on our team. Considering we are a well-established D1 program I find this odd. We've all been interviewed by our dietician, as well as some other people, and long story short, it seems the training format has to be the culprit.

ChilledFaith

Awards
As for a quick update, I started rehab on monday, some more active stretching as well as some light strengthening exercises (calf lifts, moving the ankle left and right with a towel on the ground, etc.) There is no pain in the leg and besides not being very flexible, I'd say it's doing pretty good.

The one tweek I'll make is once I run out of my beet root, I'm going to replace it with Nitrosigine as a NO booster. I couldn't find anything directly comparing the efficacy of the two, but I've used nitrosigine several times in many different supplements and I'm a pretty big fan of the product. It is also cheaper than the Beet root. Other than that no real big news to report. Swelling has gone down significantly and the scar seems to have shrunk a bit, or maybe just lost some of the redness/swelling that caused it to appear bigger.