r-ala half life?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Bobo how long does r-ala stay in your blood and mimic insulin. I have been researching it and it seems that it keeps insulin release at bay, however, for the life of me I can't find an article explaining how long it has this effect. I have been taking 100 mg r-ala with my highest carb meals (not counting post workout) and evening meals.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
All ALA has a relatively short half life, exactly how long I don't know. Probably around 2-3 hours but that doens't mean it ineffective after that point.

Why do you even need it? Are you insulin resistant?

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
All ALA has a relatively short half life, exactly how long I don't know. Probably around 2-3 hours but that doens't mean it ineffective after that point.

Why do you even need it? Are you insulin resistant?
I take it for two reasons. Because I take ALCAR and it has oxidative properties and I also take it to keep insulin levels lower so there is less unwanted fat gain.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Umm....R-LA increases GLUT4 receptors in fat cells just as insulin does. Its not magically selective. It will shuttle glucsoe into fat cells just as insulin does. That is why insulin resistance patients use it, it helps shuttle nutrients. If you have normal insulin sensitivity you have zero use for ALA at all.

Control insulin with food, not drugs.

Why would you take that high a dose of ALCAR if it has oxidative properties? Adding another anti-oxidant isn't the answer, reducing the dose of ALCAR is. Adding more drugs is not the answer.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Umm....R-LA increases GLUT4 receptors in fat cells just as insulin does. Its not magically selective. It will shuttle glucsoe into fat cells just as insulin does. That is why insulin resistance patients use it, it helps shuttle nutrients. If you have normal insulin sensitivity you have zero use for ALA at all.

Control insulin with food, not drugs.

Why would you take that high a dose of ALCAR if it has oxidative properties? Adding another anti-oxidant isn't the answer, reducing the dose of ALCAR is. Adding more drugs is not the answer.
I am only taking 1 gram of alcar. I have just been reading that it increases oxidation by 30% or something like that so I figure a strong anti-oxident would be nice. You not like r-ala? What are the best times to take it then if it isn't with a carb meal?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1gram of ALCAR will not cause oxidantion at all or increase it.

R-LA is good if you are insulin resistant and obese. If not, it has shown to have no effect.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Take green tea, Vitamin E and C with them, also as BOBO pointed out, 1 gram has nothing on the oxidative side.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
R-LA is good if you are insulin resistant and obese. If not, it has shown to have no effect.

Define obese... 15% bf, lol. Seriously tho, I respect you a lot Bobo but what do you think of Layne Norton's study with Eric Satterwhite?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about it?

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Neither is insulin resistant or obese to my knowledge, yet they proved it to be more beneficial than just its anti-ox properties.

Maybe I missed something?

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
If taken pre/post workout, will it not increase the partitioning effect of Upregulated muscular Glut-4, much like supplemental slin would.

I use 600mg post workout only.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If taken pre/post workout, will it not increase the partitioning effect of Upregulated muscular Glut-4, much like supplemental slin would.

I use 600mg post workout only.
So what? Normal insulin does the same exact thing. Why would you supplement with something your body does perfectly fine for itself.

Taking exogenous slin is a whole differnt ballgame. ALA won't even come close to having those properties (supraphysiological levels and its effect on protein synthesis)

GLUT4 receptors are increased by exercise alone so nutrient partitioning is at its highest anyway (which makes it kind of pointless post workout IMO) but just like insulin it is NOT selective. ALA increases GLUT4 receptors in muscle AND fat.

People think glucose dispersal agents are so great and I don't understand why. Yout body already is efficient as doing this and increasing it only increases the chances of fat storage if one is above maintenance. If you take insulin and consume a high amounts of carbs, what happens? You get fat. Take an insulin mimicker and consume a high amounts of carbs and what will happen? You will get fat. Its not that hard to figure out.

But if people want to think there is some magical properties about glucose dispersal then be my guest. You probably could find SOME benefits but will it actually have any realy effect overall? Not really. There is reason most studies show it doens't have much effect when used on normal insulin sensitive patients.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Neither is insulin resistant or obese to my knowledge, yet they proved it to be more beneficial than just its anti-ox properties.

Maybe I missed something?
Yeah, it showed it helped glucose dispersal. We already knew that although they added a good bit of detail and explanation which is always good. It was much better than that "other" study in which someone else tried to do over at Elite. That one was just funny.

meathead1987

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So what? Normal insulin does the same exact thing. Why would you supplement with something your body does perfectly fine for itself.

Taking exogenous slin is a whole differnt ballgame. ALA won't even come close to having those properties (supraphysiological levels and its effect on protein synthesis)

GLUT4 receptors are increased by exercise alone so nutrient partitioning is at its highest anyway (which makes it kind of pointless post workout IMO) but just like insulin it is NOT selective. ALA increases GLUT4 receptors in muscle AND fat.

People think glucose dispersal agents are so great and I don't understand why. Yout body already is efficient as doing this and increasing it only increases the chances of fat storage if one is above maintenance. If you take insulin and consume a high amounts of carbs, what happens? You get fat. Take an insulin mimicker and consume a high amounts of carbs and what will happen? You will get fat. Its not that hard to figure out.

But if people want to think there is some magical properties about glucose dispersal then be my guest. You probably could find SOME benefits but will it actually have any realy effect overall? Not really. There is reason most studies show it doens't have much effect when used on normal insulin sensitive patients.
Thanks for the info Bobo. I assume the anti-o properties will still be helpful though.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sure but most anti-o's (Vitamin E, C, etc..) show glucose dispersal properties. Plus you can easily control glucose and insulin through diet alone so once again I don't see much of a benefit of adding it.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
What about using it to cut? I would think it could be more beneficial in that scenerio correct?

J_MAN

Awards
I'm not trying to get smart with you but rather I'm really curious, what can all the "great results" people are getting on different forms of ALA be from? Since it is obviously one of the widest used supplements around, are you saying they are all nuts and wasting their time/money?

and what about the liver health improvement from ALA would you say it is worth taking for that if nothing else? and on that subject but off the subject of the thread (sorry) I was curious Bobo what you suggest for liver support supplements?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. I don't hear any great results. I hear the same old thing I hear everytime some new supplement comes out, hype. I hear everyone saying it works great and its the best thing since sliced bread then 6 months later it dies down again until someone revisits the whole "nutrient partitioner" thing again. It was the same thing 2 years ago when I tried every variation of ALA. It was the same with vanadyl sulfate and a host of other nutrient partionitioners. Plus, half the people (probably 90%) I don't believe anyway.

2. For liver protectant its fine but so is any other anti-oxidant.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
What about using it to cut? I would think it could be more beneficial in that scenerio correct?
Why?

THere is nothing it does that can't easily be done with the right diet (which you should have to begin with)

J_MAN

Awards
and on that subject but off the subject of the thread (sorry) I was curious Bobo what you suggest for liver support supplements?
Just curious what you use or suggest.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Any anti-oxidant will do.

If you are that concerned about your liver, maybe you should reconsider what you are taking that is causing any liver problems. Liver supplement do not prevent damage, they help the regeneration process.

TheUnlikelyToad

TheUnlikelyToad

Awards
  • Established
Why?

THere is nothing it does that can't easily be done with the right diet (which you should have to begin with)

By keeping blood sugar levels low, you encourage the body to burn fat stores.... or so I thought

Loki over at Avant wrote:
"Lowered plasma insulin levels (on a long-term [re: 24 + hours] basis)

= elevated catecholamine levels

which in turn:

= more fat-cell mobilizing blood flow activity in your adipose tissue

which in turn:

= a rise in blood FFAs which are more likely to be burned as substrate (especially if you are glycogen depleted, which elevates CPT activity in skeletal muscle and FFA oxidation in the liver as well).

(also: less carbs = more calories available in a given deficit for protein consumption, which has all sorts of positive lean-tissue-sparing + FFA-burning effects for our dieter.) "

It seems to make sense to me.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
By keeping blood sugar levels low, you encourage the body to burn fat stores.... or so I thought

which in turn:

which in turn:

= a rise in blood FFAs which are more likely to be burned as substrate (especially if you are glycogen depleted, which elevates CPT activity in skeletal muscle and FFA oxidation in the liver as well).

(also: less carbs = more calories available in a given deficit for protein consumption, which has all sorts of positive lean-tissue-sparing + FFA-burning effects for our dieter.) "

Which can easily be done with the proper diet. There is a reason why you keep carbs low-mod GI. Controlling blood glucose levels is extremely easy to do by controlling carb intake and increasing fiber intake. You don't necessary need to keep blood glucose low, just controlled. Those effects above are seen when blood insulin and glucose are controlled WHILE reducing calories. If you can accomplish this just with the foods you are ingesting, what is the point in adding a supplement that will do the same thing.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

which in turn:

which in turn:

Actually most of that is just the result of reducing calories overall too, not just reduced insulin and blood glucose levels.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
This sometimes is not true especially in a very depleted state dependind on diet. If you very glycogen depleted but you are consuming a good amounts of dietary fat you could easily have increased FFA release but not increased oxidation, ESPECIALLY during time of lwer bf%.

MrBean

Awards
Bobo
Do you believe that lemon juice and vinegar should be incorporated into the diet to assist in further keeping GI low?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You can, but its not really needed. Its just too easy to control blood glucose levels through whole foods.

sawastea

Awards
Bobo, damn good thread. I was unaware of many things you stated. It's a good way of putting things into perspective. Kudos

primal1

Awards
  • Established
what about the effects of ala on creatine studies. it has been shown to increase uptake.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But so does insulin, in any amount.

acecombact1

Awards
i think ALA is hyped, i tried it and it had no added benefit for fat loss., and now people are comming with new vertions thats more expensive.

im going to use it again for liver protection, thats it.