Quick question: can I dump CEL TUDCA capsules out in water?

john10960

Awards
Hi guys. Just as title states. I am vegetarian so don’t want to eat gelatin capsules. Can I dump them in water?

thanks!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Usually the only downside is that some things are in caps because they taste terrible. No idea on that for TUDCA though.

kira1357

Awards
I can't imagine bile acid tastes good. But there probably wouldn't be a difference in effectiveness. And it's water soluble anyway.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi guys. Just as title states. I am vegetarian so don’t want to eat gelatin capsules. Can I dump them in water?

thanks!
I'm not sure TUDCA itself is vegan. @sns8778 ????

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

thanks!
Competitive Edge Labs TUDCA current and future batches are vegetarian capsules.

It is possible that they would be gelatin capsules if you have a previous batch, but it has been vegetarian capsules for awhile now.

It's easy to tell if you have the one that is veg capsules because it will say so on the front and on the supplement facts.

TUDCA Supplement Facts.png

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm not sure TUDCA itself is vegan. @sns8778 ????
You would think this would be a simple answer, but it isn't.

It's also one of my personal pet peeves that some brands are mistaken about, and others just straight lie about.

What I mean by that is that there are brands that say that TUDCA is vegan and some honestly may not know it isn't - but they aren't actually going back through documentation checking, they're just assuming it is. Other brands know it isn't, but they're playing off technicalities rather than just being truthful.

Technically speaking, it depends on your definition of vegan.

One of the starter materials for TUDCA is chicken gall.

Through the chemical process, all of the chicken material is removed so there is no chicken material left.

So there is no chicken material left in the finished raw material, but there was chicken starter material - so it depends on how strict you want to get with your definitions and interpretations.

I hope that makes sense.

john10960

Awards
Uhg, I think I will have to get a refund. I didn’t even think of that.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Uhg, I think I will have to get a refund. I didn’t even think of that.
It really depends on you. Hear me out on this.

There are a lot of things that you probably think or assume that are vegan that aren't.

Technically speaking, there s no animal product in TUDCA bc it is all filtered out.

That's how some brands will label theirs vegan - which does irritate me because I believe in transparency, not playing semantics with it.

I don't discuss it here much, but I don't eat meat. But I do take TUDCA. So it does meet my threshold for the definition.

And actually, chicken makes me throw up. Me not eating chicken is not really a choice. Like I accidentally had a piece of chicken on a cheese pizza once and threw up for hours. That's the level to which it is filtered out of TUDCA is that I can take TUDCA with no problem at all.

As far as returning it, where did you buy it from? Have you opened it?
The reason I ask is that in all fairness, retailers don't represent ours as being vegan.

But I don't want a retailer to wind up mad at me bc someone returns something that's open to them bc of something I said when I'm just giving an honest answer to a question.

john10960

Awards
Hasn’t arrived yet. On its way. From DPS nutrition.

I’m vegetarian for mainly moral/religious reasons. Been raised that way since birth. Just wouldn’t sit right with me to consume something that involved the killing of a chicken. But I really don’t want to open this into that kind of discussion lol (hours and hours). I just don’t wish to consume the product.

and ultimately it’s not by fault of the seller. I wasn’t even thinking about where TUDCA could come from.

I will just see if DPS can do a refund with me

if not, not the end of the world, I will see if a friend wants it

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Usually the only downside is that some things are in caps because they taste terrible
This has been my experience as well. Anytime I try and break capsule and put in liquid the taste is unbearable

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hasn’t arrived yet. On its way. From DPS nutrition.

I’m vegetarian for mainly moral/religious reasons. Been raised that way since birth. Just wouldn’t sit right with me to consume something that involved the killing of a chicken. But I really don’t want to open this into that kind of discussion lol (hours and hours). I just don’t wish to consume the product.

and ultimately it’s not by fault of the seller. I wasn’t even thinking about where TUDCA could come from.

I will just see if DPS can do a refund with me

if not, not the end of the world, I will see if a friend wants it
I want to clarify for you that chickens aren't killed for the starter material for supplements or even most drugs.

Chicken is normally killed as a food source and then the parts that won't be eaten are normally discarded.
In cases where parts are used for starter materials for supplements or drugs, the chicken isn't being killed for that - more than enough chickens are killed as food source. The things that the companies would be using for starter materials for supplements or drugs are aren't causing chickens to be killed, they're using parts that would be discarded from chickens and would be wasted if not used for a medicinal purpose.

So, by consuming TUDCA or anything else that falls into that category, you're not contributing to a single animal dying. If it were, I wouldn't use it myself.

It is my personal reasons being similar to yours is why it pisses me off when companies identify their TUDCA as vegan. Some of them don't even know bc they don't research it to know, but some of them do know and just know the odds of a consumer researching it enough to know is slim.

I'm not trying to have a discussion or debate with you - because I'm in the minority of people that actually feel very closely to the way that you do about it. But that's why it's important to me to make sure that you properly understand it - bc if chickens were actually being killed to make it, then I wouldn't use it myself. But that's not the case.

I will tell you though - if you take it to that extreme, which is perfectly your right if you wish to, but you need to realize that there are a ton of OTC medication, pharmaceutical drugs, and supplements that you'd never think of that would also fall into this category. There are many things that are labeled as 'natural' that people may not want to take if they knew what the 'natural' versions actually were or what it meant.

john10960

Awards
Thanks for your in depth reply as always,

could you explain how the tudca is extracted without the killing of the chicken?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

could you explain how the tudca is extracted without the killing of the chicken?
I pm'd you my contact information. This is probably easier to go over on the phone and I can also tell you more things that may fall into this same category that you would need to be aware of.

Pre-workout

Awards

In short, no manufacturers extract taurochenodeoxycholic acid (Tudca) without killing chickens. For reference, Tudca is the main component of chicken bile, so will never be vegan.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
In short, no manufacturers extract taurochenodeoxycholic acid (Tudca) without killing chickens. For reference, Tudca is the main component of chicken bile, so will never be vegan.
TUDCA isn't vegan and I'd went into a lot of details on that earlier in the thread about how misleading it is that some brands list theirs as being.

He wasn't asking questions related to being vegan though, he was asking questions related to his beliefs, which is the reason I had said it may be best to discuss privately, as some on here aren't very accepting of people that don't believe in harming animals.

As I had explained above in the thread, there is chicken gall used as a starter material for TUDCA.

However, there isn't a commercial supply of chickens killed specifically to make TUDCA or any other supplement or drug that I'm aware of. The way that works is that the gall is taken from chickens that have already been killed as part of food processing. So yes, it does have animal starter material, but no, the animals aren't killed specifically for that purpose - they've already been killed for food processing and the chicken gall used would go to waste/be discarded if not used for a medicinal purpose.

Just wanted to provide full context for anyone wondering.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Did you not read what @sns8778 posted or are you trolling?