Questions from a Newbie

Openmind1

Awards
Sup.

As background, I have been training for about 2.5 years now and although I train really hard, and have gained some muscle, I feel like most of the knowledge that I have pertaining to losing fat haven’t really made sense. I have been meal prepping, i watch videos/read up on nutrition and I’ve ironed out what foods I can’t eat/make me bloated. I know that for cutting there needs to be a lower caloric intake than your “maintenance level”, and I know that obviously clean eating is the way to go, but for an endomorphic person like me, how do I specifically quantify the non-processed foods that I’m eating? Is it imperative to have a good scale? Also for those who are successful at cutting, how do you not allow your brain to talk you out of it when dieting down for contests?

I’m currently at around 241 lbs — 6’5”— about 20% Body fat.

My goal in the next six-eight months is 10-13% body fat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Not trying to be a dyck, but my advice is to get a new goal. 10% body fat in 6 months would be pretty tough.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Every Day:
800g ground beef
1 cup of dry rice
A carrot
An onion
1 table spoon salt

This covers all your nutritional needs and requirements
When you stop losing weight, remove a quarter cup of the rice. Aim for 1lb/week loss

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Every Day:
800g ground beef
1 cup of dry rice
A carrot
An onion
1 table spoon salt

When you stop losing weight, remove a quarter cup of the rice. Aim for 1lb/week loss
Pmsl, fcuk me Alex, I love your posts and learn a lot from you but unless OP is competing just eating that every day probably isn’t sustainable. That’d make me want to top myself tbh.

I agree it probably technically meets all the needs but imo a good strategy is also one that’s sustainable....imo that normally means a variety of non processed foods. Bear in mind he’s talking about months and months of this, not the last couple of weeks comp prep.

OP - yes a scale is essential as is the use of a calorie tracking tool such as MyFitnessPal

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Pmsl, fcuk me Alex, I love your posts and learn a lot from you but unless OP is competing just eating that every day probably isn’t sustainable. That’d make me want to top myself tbh.

I agree it probably technically meets all the needs but imo a good strategy is also one that’s sustainable....imo that normally means a variety of non processed foods. Bear in mind he’s talking about months and months of this, not the last couple of weeks comp prep.

OP - yes a scale is essential as is the use of a calorie tracking tool such as MyFitnessPal
The best diet is the one you'll stick to
Some people like variety, they can go look up some recipes on pintrest
The other lazy people can follow Alex Powell steak diet :p

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Every Day:
800g ground beef
1 cup of dry rice
A carrot
An onion
1 table spoon salt

I hope you are kidding.
How can you say it will cover his nutritional needs with just 1 onion and 1 carrot per day. And 1 table spoon of salt is roughly 20 grams of salt (10 grams of sodium). the DRA for sodium is 2.3g per day.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I hope you are kidding.
How can you say it will cover his nutritional needs with just 1 onion and 1 carrot per day. And 1 table spoon of salt is roughly 20 grams of salt (10 grams of sodium). the DRA for sodium is 2.3g per day.
Specifically, which nutrients do you think are missing? A table spoon of salt is 7g of sodium. People who work out need more

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Phytonutrient found if a variety of vegetables. you can not get all with just an onion and a carrot per day.
The loss of sodium in sweet is about 1g per of sweat. How much sweat do you think you lose during a workout? even if you lose 1liter per hour et workout 2 hours you will need 2g of exta sodium. do don't need 7g of sodium.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Phytonutrient found if a variety of vegetables. you can not get all with just an onion and a carrot per day.
The loss of sodium in sweet is about 1g per of sweat. How much sweat do you think you lose during a workout? even if you lose 1liter per hour et workout 2 hours you will need 2g of exta sodium. do don't need 7g of sodium.
As I said before, specifically which nutrients are lacking?

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not talking about a specific phytonutrient but a combination of nutrients and variety of flavinoids that you can't find in just a carrot and an onion. If you are happy with just a carrot and an onion per day, good for you. But i'll not advice this to anybody.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
I'm not talking about a specific phytonutrient but a combination of nutrients and variety of flavinoids that you can't find in just a carrot and an onion. If you are happy with just a carrot and an onion per day, good for you. But i'll not advice this to anybody.
How can you say that someone will be lacking in a nutrient when you can't even say which nutrients they would be lacking in?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Sup.

As background, I have been training for about 2.5 years now and although I train really hard, and have gained some muscle, I feel like most of the knowledge that I have pertaining to losing fat haven’t really made sense. I have been meal prepping, i watch videos/read up on nutrition and I’ve ironed out what foods I can’t eat/make me bloated. I know that for cutting there needs to be a lower caloric intake than your “maintenance level”, and I know that obviously clean eating is the way to go, but for an endomorphic person like me, how do I specifically quantify the non-processed foods that I’m eating? Is it imperative to have a good scale? Also for those who are successful at cutting, how do you not allow your brain to talk you out of it when dieting down for contests?

I’m currently at around 241 lbs — 6’5”— about 20% Body fat.

My goal in the next six-eight months is 10-13% body fat.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
If Cutting Read the following:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals/an-introduction-to-dieting-part-2.html/
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fat-loss-fundamentals/introduction-dieting-part-1.html/

I highly suggest you read here regarding your diet:

https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/causes-diet-failure-part-2.html/
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-causes-diet-failure-part-1.html/

Meal Frequency & Pattern:
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/meal-patterning-part-1-book-excerpt.html/

Exercise & Weightloss:
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weight-and-fat-loss-part-2.html/
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/exercise-and-weight-fat-loss-part-1.html/

Fundamental Principles of Dieting:
https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fundamental-principles-versus-minor-details.html/

^^ Start here. Aim for a variety of foods.
Focus on keeping calories as high as possible while losing, the goal is to allow for flexibility when you stall instead of cutting yourself short.
Don't limit your food choices you want to cover as many micronutrients, vitamins, and minerals as possible
The articles outline how to set up a diet, macronutrients, and how to make adjustments for losing fat. Follow those to a T and you will be good to go.

Rostam

Rostam

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How can you say that someone will be lacking in a nutrient when you can't even say which nutrients they would be lacking in?
you are only focusing on nutrients. There are many more compounds in a variety of food that we can't get just with what you listed and are important/essential for health. Varity of flavonoids, alicin, sulforaphane, antioxidants, EFAs etc... your meal plan is okay if followed for few weeks but not as a sustainable healthy diet.

AlexPowell

AlexPowell

Awards
  • Established
Allicin is garlic flavour and not an essential or beneficial nutrient. There is no evidence that sulforaphane is beneficial. There are plenty of EFAs in beef. The 7g of fibre in the diet I posted is plenty. It is not lacking any micro nutrients, if it was you would be able to give examples