Unanswered Questioning my "to-be" coach's knowledge

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am starting to prepare for a competition (my first) in March. Been training for almost 4yrs now and I have build a decent base. So, I spoke to a coach who was recommended by a friend. He obviously said, I need to take gear to add more muscle. But, what got to me was, he said, we will add about 20kgs to your current body weight and cut down about 15kgs when I am ready for the stage. This doesn't make any sense to me. Why add all that fat and water?

I wanted to know from the AM brothers who have competed; is this the right way to do a contest prep? Please share your knowledge.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well I’d have to assume that cutting down 15kg would mostly be coming from current body fat. Honestly, you should clarify with him before deciding if you have doubts.

ChocolateClen

ChocolateClen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well I’d have to assume that cutting down 15kg would mostly be coming from current body fat. Honestly, you should clarify with him before deciding if you have doubts.
Agreed. You need to see exactly what he recommends and what he’s saying. Then we can tell you if it makes sense etc

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am currently sitting at 14% BF (give or take a %). I am 70kgs now after my cut from 80kgs. My thinking was to be at 75-76kgs gradually in 6 months by dropping BF to 4-5%. But, his way and another coach I spoke to said the same thing. Increase about 15-20kgs and reduce. (Just ignore my goofy face)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
That seems fairly reasonable (maybe a bit excessive) simply due to the fact that you have quite a bit to lose now so you have to factor what you would lose into what he is saying your total loss will be. If you add 20kg, have 5-10 to lose currently, you'd bulk up to 90kg and then lose 15 putting you at 75kg which is right where you said you wanted to be...

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
That seems fairly reasonable (maybe a bit excessive) simply due to the fact that you have quite a bit to lose now so you have to factor what you would lose into what he is saying your total loss will be. If you add 20kg, have 5-10 to lose currently, you'd bulk up to 90kg and then lose 15 putting you at 75kg which is right where you said you wanted to be...
I would say I have about 8kgs or so to lose now to get absolutely shredded. But, also replace that 8kgs with muscle over the course of 6 months.
Sorry, just want to get a little more clarity here. How would you do it? Would you go all out bulk and then cut or would you do just focus on building muscle by being in either maintenance or a slight surplus?

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I would say I have about 8kgs or so to lose now to get absolutely shredded. But, also replace that 8kgs with muscle over the course of 6 months.
Sorry, just want to get a little more clarity here. How would you do it? Would you go all out bulk and then cut or would you do just focus on building muscle by being in either maintenance or a slight surplus?
I do HORRIBLE with full-on bulking (just get way too fat and end up having to get drastic when cutting and lose most of the gains in the process)... IMO a slower, more controlled cycle of some bulk, maybe a mini cut (like 2 weeks, very low cal), more bulk, and then a slow & moderate cut for a little longer (12-16wks) would be the way to go. Unless you're genetically predisposed to sit at a very low bf normally, an all out bulk will usually just lead to a ton of fat gain and a much harder cut to follow.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I do HORRIBLE with full-on bulking (just get way too fat and end up having to get drastic when cutting and lose most of the gains in the process)... IMO a slower, more controlled cycle of some bulk, maybe a mini cut (like 2 weeks, very low cal), more bulk, and then a slow & moderate cut for a little longer (12-16wks) would be the way to go. Unless you're genetically predisposed to sit at a very low bf normally, an all out bulk will usually just lead to a ton of fat gain and a much harder cut to follow.
It is the same with me as well. Getting fat and bloated is just too uncomfortable and then when you have to hard diet, you will definitely lose some of that muscle you built in the process. My view is exactly how you stated as well. Slow and controlled growth.

Going to talk to the Coach and see if he wants to take this approach or not.

I really appreciate your input.