Question on proper storage of supplements.

mcmenace

Awards
For the past couple of years I have stored all of my supplements in the bathroom for convenience.

This includes everything from my orange triad to preworkouts, creatine, protein and other capsules. I've personally never noticed any issues but someone mentioned that the humidity from the shower could cause an issue.

Can anyone deny/confirm that this is true and what adverse effects will humidity have on the products. I've personally never noticed anything clumping or tasting different.

I worry about the protein/creatine/capsules. At one point I also was taking ostarine and all of that has been stored in the same bathroom, mostly under the sink but sometimes on the counter in the bottle.

fakenatty3

Awards
Im going to assume the shower is only running 15 minutes per use out of a 24 hour day. I don't see that effecting any of your supplements since the bathroom will only be "humid" for a short period of time. I kept my pre-workout in my trunk one summer for a week and that caused it to clump up since it was basically baking and in humidity all day long

mcmenace

Awards
Im going to assume the shower is only running 15 minutes per use out of a 24 hour day. I don't see that effecting any of your supplements since the bathroom will only be "humid" for a short period of time. I kept my pre-workout in my trunk one summer for a week and that caused it to clump up since it was basically baking and in humidity all day long
Basically. Usually 2-3x a day for ~15 minutes as you said. I'm more concerned about potency then clumping, but I've not noticed either.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Most supplements, especially powders definitely stand up better in low heat, sun, and humidity conditions. If you have another option for storage outside of your bathroom...I would definitely utilize it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you haven't had any issues with it then just keep on keepin on. I keep mine in my closet, AC is usually 74 when I'm not home and 68 when I am.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Darkness and if you could keep the temp down would help.....humidity could play a factor if things are sitting for awhile, I keep my supplements in my closest in my room but I'm thinking about moving them because my room gets really hot in the summer and I've noticed some clumping in my pre workouts and intraworkout powders.....if your showers haven't caused anything to clump as of yet, I see no problem just leaving them where they are

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'd say you're good keeping them where their at now.

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I think you are fine with where you are keeping them

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't worry about it. You might notice some of the preworkouts and powders to clump up a bit quicker if they are exposed to a lot of humidity, but I wouldn't be concerned

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I store my preworkouts and BCAAs in my freezer. I live in the South, though, and it's super humid here.

mcmenace

Awards
Thank you all for the responses. I live in NV so humidity isn't an issue. I really just didn't want to take a chance of lowering the potency of certain supplements. Wasn't sure if leaving everything in the bathroom made that a possibility.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just keep it somewhere dark with proper ventilation and no real humidity.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Thank you all for the responses. I live in NV so humidity isn't an issue. I really just didn't want to take a chance of lowering the potency of certain supplements. Wasn't sure if leaving everything in the bathroom made that a possibility.
Id only really be concerned about fishoil and probiotics then.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
What effect would humidity have on fish oil. I take fish oil and leave it in the bathroom as well.
It may not be the moisture so much (theres a study examining this but I cant access much more than the abstract) as the potential room temperature fluctuations. Not ideal with fish oil. Could there also be condensation ("sweating") within the tub itself? I just wouldnt risk any oxidising effects.

Lynks8

Lynks8

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Probably not worth worrying about for 99% of your supps, but oxidation with fish oil is a real risk. I always keep mine in the fridge, and if I stock up and won't get to it for a month or more, I put excess in the freezer.

Synapsin

Synapsin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Probably not worth worrying about for 99% of your supps, but oxidation with fish oil is a real risk. I always keep mine in the fridge, and if I stock up and won't get to it for a month or more, I put excess in the freezer.
People also claim it helps with fish burps, but I don't see how (and it has never helped for me when I used fish oil).