Question about pain, and remission of, during lifting

john10960

Awards
Hi all.

So what I’ve heard the majority of time is don’t lift through pain.

I don’t lift through pain the majority of time. Question is, on some more isolation and non compound lifts the pain eventually goes away after lifting through it for a period of time.

could someone explain this to me? (And it definitely wasn’t just soreness, but actual pain)

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm glad to help, but if you could provide more details that would be helpful. You're welcome to post them or pm me.

You said that - on some more isolation and non compound lifts the pain eventually goes away after lifting through it for a period of time.

Do you mean that the pain goes away on the specific exercises that it was hurting on originally or do you mean it gets better on other exercises later but hurts all the way through that specific one all the time?

Without details, my first thought - which would be if it is pain related to specific isolation lifts but it does then go away after doing them, like after a set or two - would be that it could be related to muscle tightness and stretching.

Example - I'm very strong on triceps and I love skull crushers, but they hurt like hell if I don't do a set with little to no weight before getting into my normal warmup weight. Even if they aren't the first exercise I do, it still happens. But if I do a set or two with the bar or little weight just to seem to stretch thru that particular motion, I'm good to go.

I hope that helps.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya need a bit more info, not feeling like I fully understand the situation.

john10960

Awards
Sorry for not being more clear

the exercise is tricep cable push downs. Initially it was painful it seemed around the area to the backside of my elbows. I was thinking maybe fascia? I did take some time away from the movement initially but eventually went back to it.

pain was still there although less and I essentially just pushed through it and made gains past weight thresholds and eventually the pain improved , got better. It felt like fascia. Maybe it was the fascia getting stronger?

can pain be ameliorated over time as fascia, ligaments, tendons, get stronger and more used to the resistance/force?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sorry for not being more clear

the exercise is tricep cable push downs. Initially it was painful it seemed around the area to the backside of my elbows. I was thinking maybe fascia? I did take some time away from the movement initially but eventually went back to it.

pain was still there although less and I essentially just pushed through it and made gains past weight thresholds and eventually the pain improved , got better. It felt like fascia. Maybe it was the fascia getting stronger?

can pain be ameliorated over time as fascia, ligaments, tendons, get stronger and more used to the resistance/force?
It sounds similar to what I mentioned above about me and skull crushers.

I'm not a fan of pushing through that type of pain.

Have you tried doing set or two of very light weight before getting into your working sets? I don't mean like a normal warmup set with lighter weight; I mean like a set or two with very very little weight, so little that I wouldn't include it as a working set, just to get the area used to the motion.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wouldn't push through if it hurts. You can get stronger in those areas though and potentially be able to work back into that exercise if you like it, work at lighter weights that don't cause pain, or like mentioned above spend more time getting prepared for the movement before hitting working weights to see what works for you.

john10960

Awards
thanks for the replies guys.

what I’m saying is that now it doesn’t hurt. I pushed through the pain for a while but now 90% of the time it doesn’t hurt. The pain has essentially resolved. Just wondering about an explanation on this as normally people say don’t push through as it will make it worse, but for me it resolved