Quercetin - estrogenic properties?

seastone

Awards
I've been dabbling with quercetin supplements lately, mainly for allergies and inflammation. However, I stumbled upon some info suggesting quercetin might have estrogenic properties. That's got me concerned about its potential impact on testosterone levels, which isn't something I'm keen on messing with.

I've noticed some positive effects since I started quercetin, and it's been a solid alternative to antihistamines (Which gives me nasty sideeffects). But here's the deal:

Is there any concrete evidence showing that quercetin is estrogenic?

Could quercetin mess with testosterone levels in guys, and how bad can it get?

Any anecdotes or experiences from fellow fitness folks who've taken quercetin without feeling the T-level drop?

I'm not asking for medical advice here, just some straight-up insights, studies, or personal experiences about quercetin and its potential hormonal impact. I want to keep my health and fitness intact while enjoying the perks of quercetin, but I'm not willing to be in the dark about it.

Thanks for any info you can throw my way!

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
This is NOT what you asked, but if you are looking for a natural antihistamine (which, for me, has zero side effects) look into Stinging Nettle Leaf (not the root, although that has other unrelated but helpful properties).

Remember, free advice is worth what you paid for it ....

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just a heads up, but if you are going to bring stuff up like this it helps to link what you are referencing otherwise it makes it hard for others to understand the specifics of what you are talking about.

Quercetin does appear to have some relationship to estrogen, in fact it seems lower doses may potentially lower it, while high doses may increase it.

I honestly wouldn't really worry about it lowering my testosterone and if it is helping you with your allergies and you feel fine I don't see any reason to get worried about it.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I've researched Quercetin extensively and have never seen anything that would make me believe that it would increase estrogen levels or decrease testosterone levels.

Actually, some of the advanced forms have been shown to have some athletic benefits.

seastone

Awards
This is NOT what you asked, but if you are looking for a natural antihistamine (which, for me, has zero side effects) look into Stinging Nettle Leaf (not the root, although that has other unrelated but helpful properties).

Remember, free advice is worth what you paid for it ....
Thanks will look into it. Appreciate it!

Just a heads up, but if you are going to bring stuff up like this it helps to link what you are referencing otherwise it makes it hard for others to understand the specifics of what you are talking about.

Quercetin does appear to have some relationship to estrogen, in fact it seems lower doses may potentially lower it, while high doses may increase it.

I honestly wouldn't really worry about it lowering my testosterone and if it is helping you with your allergies and you feel fine I don't see any reason to get worried about it.
The reason I'm worried about it is because my testosterone is already low (health issues) and if taking something that would plummet it even more would not be ideal. But yes it does make me feel normal.. Feeling good or gains in the gym? Hmm :p

Also what is considered low and high? I usually take 800mg daily.
I've researched Quercetin extensively and have never seen anything that would make me believe that it would increase estrogen levels or decrease testosterone levels.

Actually, some of the advanced forms have been shown to have some athletic benefits.
A lot of people on other forums have said that its highly estrogenic. Even if I found a study I dont have the brain capacity to actually understand what it says without a TL:DR.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Ya the performance and health benefiting studies are surely more compelling. I haven't seen anything that would make me think it would increase estrogen or decrease testosterone, if anything it seemed more "protective" of maintaining proper testosterone levels.

Thanks will look into it. Appreciate it!

The reason I'm worried about it is because my testosterone is already low (health issues) and if taking something that would plummet it even more would not be ideal. But yes it does make me feel normal.. Feeling good or gains in the gym? Hmm :p

A lot of people on other forums have said that its highly estrogenic. Even if I found a study I dont have the brain capacity to actually understand what it says without a TL:DR.
It isn't going to plummet your testosterone levels.

That is why I said it can be helpful to link studies or what people are talking about because with some things (like quercetin) there are literally countless studies done on so many different parameters that it can be hard to counter an argument about something like that with nothing to back it up.

I'd probably be cautious of somewhere acting like quercetin is something super estrogenic imo, seems a little far fetched.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One thing I can say about quercetin is after many trial and errors, it 100% gave both my wife and I some extra water retention within a day or 2 of taking it and it would go away a day or 2 after ceasing. Unsure why exactly, but it happened to both of us several times.

seastone

Awards
Ya the performance and health benefiting studies are surely more compelling. I haven't seen anything that would make me think it would increase estrogen or decrease testosterone, if anything it seemed more "protective" of maintaining proper testosterone levels.

That is why I said it can be helpful to link studies or what people are talking about because with some things (like quercetin) there are literally countless studies done on so many different parameters that it can be hard to counter an argument about something like that with nothing to back it up.

I'd probably be cautious of somewhere acting like quercetin is something super estrogenic imo, seems a little far fetched.
Totally agree with you. It's probably just a bunch of opinions floating around without any real truth to it. I'll start taking it and hopefully it wont be too bad.. :p

One thing I can say about quercetin is after many trial and errors, it 100% gave both my wife and I some extra water retention within a day or 2 of taking it and it would go away a day or 2 after ceasing. Unsure why exactly, but it happened to both of us several times.
Do you have any personal experiences or anecdotes related to the use of quercetin and its effects on hormone levels?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do you have any personal experiences or anecdotes related to the use of quercetin and its effects on hormone levels?
i was on TRT during these times So it couldn't have effects test levels. Never had e2 checked alongside it.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You can find studies that say basically anything. There's also studies that say quercetin raises testosterone and lowers estrogen

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Totally agree with you. It's probably just a bunch of opinions floating around without any real truth to it. I'll start taking it and hopefully it wont be too bad.. :p
It has data on performance and hypertrophy improvements, so I'd just keep that in mind. Dosage really depends on the form though as bioavailability can be a concern.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Quercetin is not going to plummet testosterone levels. At the absolute worst case, let's say you were just super prone to it and mega dosed the heck out of it, even absolute worst case if it affected it at all it would likely be by so little that you wouldn't even notice.

I have a rare endocrinology condition that symptoms of are low testosterone and free testosterone and because of that, I have to get bloodwork at least every 2 months and have for many years. I have never seen any difference whatsoever with testosterone or estrogen being effected by Quercetin.

Regular Quercetin dosing is typically 1,000 to 2,000 mg. per day.

No offense, but I don't really take much account into what people say on stuff like that. There always seems to be spells where there is love and hate on many different ingredients, and in the case of something like Quercetin, there are so many studies that if you look hard enough you can find one that says just about anything. But the key there is if something has thousands of studies on it, and you only see that in one or two, but not the other 998, you have to question the legitimacy.

I do research and development and formulation for a living and have been doing this for 19 years and read hundreds of studies per month. I have terrible allergies myself and can't take most antihistamines, so I've done a very extensive amount of research on Quercetin.

You mentioned you found a study saying that it may increase estrogen levels; I've seen studies that show that it may increase testosterone. Do I think it really increases testosterone to a significant degree? No, I don't. Same as I don't think it effects estrogen to a significant degree.

Nothing wrong with asking questions, but I don't think you have anything to worry about on this.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Good post. I agree.

Quercetin has studies that show it would support healthy testosterone levels and then several on athletic enhancement. It is so well studied that a one off study showing an increase in estrogen, I would look for other variables in that one; as with any anomaly in a study that isn't shown in others on the same ingredient.

And I agree, I would definitely be cautious of believing much I read somewhere if the unanimous opinion was that far fetched on Quercetin.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You can find studies that say basically anything. There's also studies that say quercetin raises testosterone and lowers estrogen
I absolutely agree.

Studies are a great thing, but when something is as well researched as Quercetin, there are literally thousands of studies on it and you're likely going to be able to find just about anything in one or two of them. That's the key with discerning studies - if 998 say it doesn't and 2 say it does, then its either an anomaly or there are other variables at play. Or just sometimes simply a coincidence.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Regular Quercetin dosing is typically 1,000 to 2,000 mg. per day.

I do research and development and formulation for a living and have been doing this for 19 years and read hundreds of studies per month. I have terrible allergies myself and can't take most antihistamines, so I've done a very extensive amount of research on Quercetin.
Do you like it for this? Or are there better options for allergies? Not something I’ve actually looked into too much, but something that I have issues with so relief would be nice.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Something to keep in mind, if something has “estrogenic effects” or properties or whatever, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s gonna cause estrogenic issues. Prescription SERMs are also estrogenic, but lead to a decrease in estrogen activity. If something binds to estrogen receptors about as well as actual estrogen hormones, but has less activity, you’ll see a decrease in those estrogenic effects.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Do you like it for this? Or are there better options for allergies? Not something I’ve actually looked into too much, but something that I have issues with so relief would be nice.
I do think that it has some good allergy benefits.

If taking regular Quercetin for allergies, then its important to take it on an empty stomach.

If using advanced forms, its not as important and they can be taken with food.

We're in the process of updating the Immune Support XT formula and adding an advanced form of Quercetin is one of the additions that we are making to that, so that it will be better for seasonal allergy support.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do think that it has some good allergy benefits.

If taking regular Quercetin for allergies, then its important to take it on an empty stomach.

If using advanced forms, its not as important and they can be taken with food.

We're in the process of updating the Immune Support XT formula and adding an advanced form of Quercetin is one of the additions that we are making to that, so that it will be better for seasonal allergy support.
Sweet. I don't know if I've played around with Quercetin a ton, I think maybe when there was a ton of hype a few years ago I used EMIQ (?) and it is probably in some other formulas I've used that I can't remember off the top of my head (BMP Evomuse? maybe some other things).

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Sweet. I don't know if I've played around with Quercetin a ton, I think maybe when there was a ton of hype a few years ago I used EMIQ (?) and it is probably in some other formulas I've used that I can't remember off the top of my head (BMP Evomuse? maybe some other things).
If they used it, it was probably a generic version of Emiq. The reason I say that is that one of the reasons you never see Emiq anymore is that company was very hard for a lot of brands to work with and obtain licensing from. Then, some of the brands they sold raw materials to, they then refused to let them use the Emiq branded name on their labels - so a lot of brands just said screw this and stay away from Emiq now because of that.

There was a ton of hype at one time for muscle building - and I think that it can be helpful, but that a lot of the things attributed to it for that were really overstated.

It was a ton of hype for Quercetin in general during Covid because it does have great potential to help with respiratory inflammation and immune support.

grovemule

grovemule

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I take 500 MG a day on a empty stomach for my allergies/sinus issues. When I started about 6 months ago I noticed on pump day I seemed more jacked. It is a vasodilator so maybe that's what's happening?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I take 500 MG a day on a empty stomach for my allergies/sinus issues. When I started about 6 months ago I noticed on pump day I seemed more jacked. It is a vasodilator so maybe that's what's happening?
I'm not sure, I've never experienced that result with Quercetin, but I do like Quercetin in general for allergies.

We will be using QuerceFit in the new version of Immune Support XT, which will hopefully be out in a few weeks.

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
I don't feel anything with quercetin, I take 1 gr ED since 2020 and now I take it with api-plex 200 mg, synergy.