quercetin makes supplements better?

darkvard

Awards
Would quercetin extend the half life of all supplements? also would other supplements do the same?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Quercetin is a chromophore of the flavonol classification. I find a limited number of studies on its benefits as an anti-inflammatory but no studies indicating it has synergistic effects with other meds/supps. Can you explain why you think it would extend the half life of any, let alone all, supplements? Can you provide a study?

liquid

liquid

Awards
  • Established
Quercetin is a chromophore of the flavonol classification. I find a limited number of studies on its benefits as an anti-inflammatory but no studies indicating it has synergistic effects with other meds/supps. Can you explain why you think it would extend the half life of any, let alone all, supplements? Can you provide a study?
I don't remember much, but I remember reading something that it slows the breakdown of steroids within the liver.

So it seems like it may be like grapefruit juice where it slows things down and stay within longer.

darkvard

Awards
I did notice caffeine lasted longer when i used it so would this make any supplement last longer?
also would other supplements do this? (ie stack it)

rulk22

rulk22

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used this to get rid of my gout. Permanant in my arsenal now.

darkvard

Awards
pretty sure the only side effect of quercetin is it sucks potassium dry which is why i take some

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I don't remember much, but I remember reading something that it slows the breakdown of steroids within the liver.

So it seems like it may be like grapefruit juice where it slows things down and stay within longer.
I find this interesting because if it has similar properties to grapefruit , then in his book "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Dr Shippen -a book covering the male andropause, grapefruit is a fruit to be avoided because it also slows down the clearance of estrogen from the liver.
I would have to question based on this, why quercitin is included in some pct products-Stoked -to name one and others of similar make-up.Coming off a cycle , isnt there an excess of estrogen ?So why hinder clearance of it from the liver?

darkvard

Awards
I find this interesting because if it has similar properties to grapefruit , then in his book "The Testosterone Syndrome" by Dr Shippen -a book covering the male andropause, grapefruit is a fruit to be avoided because it also slows down the clearance of estrogen from the liver.
I would have to question based on this, why quercitin is included in some pct products-Stoked -to name one and others of similar make-up.Coming off a cycle , isnt there an excess of estrogen ?So why hinder clearance of it from the liver?
because it almost doubles the bio availability maybe?

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
just researched quercetin a bit more and it would be hard to avoid this altogether if we like variety in our food , this was taken from Wilkipedia
"Foods rich in quercetin include capers (1800 mg/kg)[13], lovage (1700 mg/kg), apples (44 mg/kg), tea (Camellia sinensis), onion, especially red onion (higher concentrations of quercetin occur in the outermost rings[14]), red grapes, citrus fruit, tomato, broccoli and other leafy green vegetables, and a number of berries including cherry, raspberry, bog whortleberry (158 mg/kg, fresh weight), lingonberry (cultivated 74 mg/kg, wild 146 mg/kg), cranberry (cultivated 83 mg/kg, wild 121 mg/kg), chokeberry (89 mg/kg), sweet rowan (85 mg/kg), rowanberry (63 mg/kg), sea buckthorn berry (62 mg/kg), crowberry (cultivated 53 mg/kg, wild 56 mg/kg),[15] and the fruit of the prickly pear cactus. A recent study found that organically grown tomatoes had 79% more quercetin than "conventionally grown".[

Ive also seen it listed as phytoestrogen quote Quercetin is considered a phytoestrogen (i.e., a plant substance with similar functions as that of estrogen ). Some phytoestrogens are believed also to have antiestrogenic effects that might lead to reduced risks of certain cancers.un quote ;source http://www.online-vitamins-guide.com/nutrients/quercetin.htm

So if it is antiestrogenic i can see why its included in supps such as Stoked but what i carnt understand is if it does slow the clearing process of estrogen down , does one cancel out the other?

Last edited:

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Would quercetin extend the half life of all supplements? also would other supplements do the same?
Resveratrol combined with MCT Quercetin, in equal amounts may do this. Also good for PCT and long term, cycled, supplementation.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Quercitin is not naringin, which is from grapefruit. Quercitin is a potent anti-oxidant and anti-histamine, iirc. Grapefruit/narigin increase the effectiveness of MANY drugs, so much so that you'll see warnings on the drugs affected about grapefruit, and it can cause an overdoae.quercitin does not use the same mechanism of action in the body, I'm pretty sure. Now piperine...that's another one. ;)

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
We use it in Stoked/PCS because it helps with bio-availbility of Trans-Res.
Was that your only consideration when deciding on the supplement.

what information have you got to back that up?

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
I did further research on the above web site and reservatrol isnt all its made out to be
Again i question whether enough research is being done by a supplement company before they come out with their products
Estrogenic Effects
Resveratrol has been shown to both inhibit and activate estrogen receptors in studies, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Estrogen-dependent cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer, require estrogen hormones in order to grow. For this reason resveratrol could theoretically aggravate certain cancers with its mild estrogenic effect.

Anticoagulant Activity
Resveratrol has been shown to have anticoagulant activity in vitro. Due to this blood-thinning effect, resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding when combined with anticoagulant and anti-platelet drugs, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Based on this theory, resveratrol could also interact with blood pressure medication, causing dangerous low blood pressure levels.

Cytochrome Inhibition
According to the Linus Pauling Institute, resveratrol may increase the bioavailability and therefore toxicity of certain drugs. If potent pharmaceutical drugs are more bioactive, they will be better absorbed, causing potential overdosage. Resveratrol may interact with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, anti-histimines and erectile dysfunction medications.

There are some other anecdotal effects reported by resveratrol users. Joint pain, tendonitis, stomach cramping and/or decreased appetite have occurred. Another possible side effect may be a jittery, caffeine-like feeling, which may be accompanied by insomnia. Diarrhea and numbness in the extremities have also been reported, according to Web For Health.com.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/34048-sides-effects-resveratrol/

Although there is a caution note on the label , the company is not making users aware of the above.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did further research on the above web site and reservatrol isnt all its made out to be
Again i question whether enough research is being done by a supplement company before they come out with their products
Estrogenic Effects
Resveratrol has been shown to both inhibit and activate estrogen receptors in studies, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Estrogen-dependent cancers, such as breast and prostate cancer, require estrogen hormones in order to grow. For this reason resveratrol could theoretically aggravate certain cancers with its mild estrogenic effect.

Anticoagulant Activity
Resveratrol has been shown to have anticoagulant activity in vitro. Due to this blood-thinning effect, resveratrol could increase the risk of bleeding when combined with anticoagulant and anti-platelet drugs, as well as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as aspirin and ibuprofen. Based on this theory, resveratrol could also interact with blood pressure medication, causing dangerous low blood pressure levels.

Cytochrome Inhibition
According to the Linus Pauling Institute, resveratrol may increase the bioavailability and therefore toxicity of certain drugs. If potent pharmaceutical drugs are more bioactive, they will be better absorbed, causing potential overdosage. Resveratrol may interact with HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, calcium channel agonists, anti-arrhythmic agents, HIV protease inhibitors, immunosuppressants, anti-histimines and erectile dysfunction medications.

There are some other anecdotal effects reported by resveratrol users. Joint pain, tendonitis, stomach cramping and/or decreased appetite have occurred. Another possible side effect may be a jittery, caffeine-like feeling, which may be accompanied by insomnia. Diarrhea and numbness in the extremities have also been reported, according to Web For Health.com.

Although there is a caution note on the label , the company is not making users aware of the above.
Your in the vast minority bro. Many people love it and it it used by more than BB if you do not like it that is fine and your right to a opinion. I have used it a lot and got none of the side effected mentioned there. In fact I get hungry as hell. If you want to pick apart any compound it can be done easily. Have a good day.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Estrogenic Effects

Anticoagulant Activity

Cytochrome Inhibition

Resveratrol and Quercetin work! Any sides usually dissipate with continued use. Always use the purest of both. A good PCT is lacking without Resveratrol. If Resveratrol is used daily as a staple shut-down can be minimal. JMO and IME

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I've been taking rez/quercitin for quite awhile. I don't take any meds so its not an issue. Have had dry joints at higher doses, but overall the combo makes me feel awesome mentally and physically. It has literally taken my endurance training to an all new level..and makes it feel great to boot.

But yeah, I researched all the same cautions etc and keep them as a consideration.

BBB

BBB

Awards
  • Established
Your in the vast minority bro. Many people love it and it it used by more than BB if you do not like it that is fine and your right to a opinion. I have used it a lot and got none of the side effected mentioned there. In fact I get hungry as hell. If you want to pick apart any compound it can be done easily. Have a good day.
That doesn't mean he's wrong. Dr Dinoiii has researched this issue extensively and agrees with estrogenic potential of Res. I have seen various sites selling this product and many warn of potential estrogenic side effects. I have personally decided to wait until more conclusive, well designed studies have been conducted.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Its usually dose related, doses under 500 mgs are usually tolerable. A 250 mg licap daily shouldnt produce intolerable sides. Res. and Quercetin should be taken at matched doses. It works guys!

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Definitely has made my entire physique a lot drier and seems easier to keep the fat off.

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That doesn't mean he's wrong. Dr Dinoiii has researched this issue extensively and agrees with estrogenic potential of Res. I have seen various sites selling this product and many warn of potential estrogenic side effects. I have personally decided to wait until more conclusive, well designed studies have been conducted.
Not saying he is wrong at all. Just saying you can trash any compound very easy. I tell people running Post Cycle Support as part of a PCT with a SERM not to start it till the 3rd week of pct because of the anti-e properties of it. I have heard complaints of dry joints but some of the other sides he listed were the first time I had heard of them.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Somr simply cant use some supplements without getting sides. A person can either tolerate Quercetin and Resveratrol or they cant. The major factor is purity, that includes fillers, excipients, emulsifiers, etc. As Arnold said, "There are sides with everything."

corsaking

Awards
  • Established
Not saying he is wrong at all. Just saying you can trash any compound very easy. I tell people running Post Cycle Support as part of a PCT with a SERM not to start it till the 3rd week of pct because of the anti-e properties of it. I have heard complaints of dry joints but some of the other sides he listed were the first time I had heard of them.
its not about trashing anysupplement. What its about is educating people by giving the full facts -the positives and the negatives so then the consumer can make an informed choice as to whether or not to use the product.

so often supplement companies take a phrase out of context from a report /study and useit to sell the product.

Bodybuilders/weighttrainers/fitness enthusiasts are a different breed to day than say a decade ago.We live in a culture where we question everything .supplements should be no different.I wont name names but we all know the companies that insult our intelligence by making the wildest claims what a certain product will do , then expect us to believe it by placing a professional bodybuilder by the side of it.
i could go on but this is going off topic -i apologise for that .

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

A_I_Sports_Nutrition

AI Sports Nutrition
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
its not about trashing anysupplement. What its about is educating people by giving the full facts -the positives and the negatives so then the consumer can make an informed choice as to whether or not to use the product.

so often supplement companies take a phrase out of context from a report /study and useit to sell the product.

Bodybuilders/weighttrainers/fitness enthusiasts are a different breed to day than say a decade ago.We live in a culture where we question everything .supplements should be no different.I wont name names but we all know the companies that insult our intelligence by making the wildest claims what a certain product will do , then expect us to believe it by placing a professional bodybuilder by the side of it.
i could go on but this is going off topic -i apologise for that .
Bro I have no problem with your thoughts. I was just saying is I could take any compound and go to the internet and find both good and bad things about it.:)