Pulled hamstring

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So, about 4 months ago, my 13 year old son told me (49 years young), that he was faster than me.. Son please...

So, we ended up on the street.

Roughly 45 yards later, my hamstring said hell naw!!!

I limped with a sore leg for a solid month.. The pain finally started to go away.

Now, I'm back in the gym, dealing with lower back issues, so I started doing the hyperextensions. I figured those could help strengthen my core.

I would do them maybe once a week.

Well, today, I did them with a 25.. I've finally figured out why my hamstring would hurt every so often!! Today, I can barely walk!!

Is there anything I can do to help heal this up??

I'm an active person and don't do well sitting on the sidelines..

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Unfortunately the only answer: Time.

I had a grade 2 tear a few years back and my timeline was:
0-3mo: hobble to limp (struggled to put on socks/shoes/pants/underwear)
3-6mo: minimal limp, still couldn't bend over with both legs (injured side I would lift up behind me - I still do it to this day haha)
6-12mo: slowly got back into jogging and running (no quick bursts)
12-24mo: SUPER low and slow weights.

it was about 2.5years before I was able to do legit heavy exercises (SL/RDL, leg curls) without at least a twinge. To this day it's still "in my head" anytime I sprint or feel any time of discomfort. Absolutely the worst injury of my life in terms of mental anguish and taking forever. You don't realize how much you use your hammies for until you cant (i.e. bench press, anytime you lean forward, etc etc....)

Sorry man, but this could be an ugly 6-12mo for you (considering yours sounds a bit less severe). That said, BE CAREFUL with it for awhile. Hamstrings are notoriously slow to heal and easy to re-injure, prolonging your anguish. Don't drag it out longer than it has to be by rushing back and doubling (or more) your recovery time.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks man.. I kinda figured all of which you said.. Yeah, I really don't have the patience to "rest" it.. I just don't!! Lol

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks man.. I kinda figured all of which you said.. Yeah, I really don't have the patience to "rest" it.. I just don't!! Lol
For one, respect the huge amount of time this will take. Boon is dead on. That being said, investing in some TB500 for a 8-12 week course of around 5mg/wk WILL speed the healing up provided you respect the gravity and limitations of the injury. Pin half a 5mg vial twice a week; TB500 has a very long half life so that is plenty frequent. You don’t need to pin it locally, although I do put it close as reasonably possible, at least that leg/thigh.

That may be $100/wk depending on where you buy from, but it does systemically speed muscle healing truly. It is best to think about it in comparison to or in place of medical treatment/therapy/surgery in regard to cost. And it’s not all or nothing - even a month would help some, or using 1.25mg twice/wk instead of 2.5mg doses.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Trust me, as someone who dealt with a series of "attempted" comebacks too early on another hammy injury (not nearly as severe, just a pull in the other leg years before), take it easy. You don't have to do "nothing" but anything that makes it twinge/hurt/etc you have to be VERY careful with...

MOST important: IT WILL FEEL PRETTY GOOD SOONER THAN ITS ACTUALLY HEALED!!!! this is where you will reinjure it 99% of the time. 99.9% of the pain will be gone doing "normal" things, maybe even some light jogging or even running, but there will be that one time that you try to run/stop/turn too sharply and it will pop again and you're right back at square 1 (or worse).

My advice: whenever it starts to feel good, do 50-75(max)% of what you "think" will be ok for at least another month. Slow and steady will have it heal much faster than a reinjury that resets it completely (and likely causes more scar tissue and a longer term or permanent weakness/problem area).

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For one, respect the huge amount of time this will take. Boon is dead on. That being said, investing in some TB500 for a 8-12 week course of around 5mg/wk WILL speed the healing up provided you respect the gravity and limitations of the injury. Pin half a 5mg vial twice a week; TB500 has a very long half life so that is plenty frequent. You don’t need to pin it locally, although I do put it close as reasonably possible, at least that leg/thigh.

That may be $100/wk depending on where you buy from, but it does systemically speed muscle healing truly. It is best to think about it in comparison to or in place of medical treatment/therapy/surgery in regard to cost. And it’s not all or nothing - even a month would help some, or using 1.25mg twice/wk instead of 2.5mg doses.
I just went through about 10 vials of tb and bpc with little results.. Been dealing with sore knees and shoulder too. Initially was taking it for those. Was taking just over 7mg of tb a week..
Would a tens unit help at all?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just went through about 10 vials of tb and bpc with little results.. Been dealing with sore knees and shoulder too. Initially was taking it for those. Was taking just over 7mg of tb a week..
Would a tens unit help at all?
Well, they promote healing when tissue is trying to do so - not necessarily pain reduction. If you have structural issues due to lots of wear, you aren’t going to fix those with peptides likely. You are probably looking for pain & inflammation management with those from here on (assuming you mean they are chronic). You have to remove the stimulus for aggravation or improve recovery from said stimulus, essentially, in that scenario.

A tens unit certainly may, do to increased bloodflow. If you have one it’s definitely not a bad idea to set it on very low and get some extra blood moving gently. As long as it’s not working the injury or bothering anything of course.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
@enhanced you got some really good feedback here brother. ^^^

Make sure you do WHATEVER IT TAKES to make yourself give it the time to heal.
I've watched professional athletes struggle with this a lot.
Some have just not been able to allow the necessary healing time, and reinjured over and over again.
Some of those guys actually ended up retiring.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Make sure to not only stretch but also do slacking. Just Google it if you don't know. Prob gonna be just touching your toes over and over for hams

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll rest & rehab it.. The rest part is going to be hard during the summer months, but I'll do what's best for recovery..
Thank you everyone for the input/advice.