Prison style workout

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Alright so it is the middle of the summer and I am unable to use any anabolic compound because my hematocrit is borderline High. I figure since it's the summertime and it is hot and I'm dealing with a little bit of shoulder impingement, I would ditch the weights for the next month or two and stick to a strict regiment of upper body every other day and lower body every other day. I was thinking of doing incline push-ups regular push-ups dips body squats walking lunges step-ups Pull-Ups and besides that maybe a little bit of weights for biceps and triceps and maybe a little bit of bent over rows and some weighted calves. So one day it'll be a bunch of upper body stuff and the next day a bunch of lower body stuff and I'll also throw a little bit of high intensity interval training in there. I don't expect to gain any Mass or anything but I could probably take what I have now and Harden it the hell up and probably lose a couple percentages of body fat. What do you guys think? Any suggestions? And thank you as always

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
Depending on your starting point you could gain mass, or at least recomp. Biggest drawback, IMO, with calisthenic focused workouts is the time it takes to complete the volume needed to get real results. Good luck tho

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I'd chill on the dips if you got shoulder issues. Maybe just halvsies. Decline pushups will do you great.
Slomo reps will really up your strength/size gains. I'd do a set super slow, and then knock out the hi rep quick ones for sets.
Just my 2c

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd chill on the dips if you got shoulder issues. Maybe just halvsies. Decline pushups will do you great.
Slomo reps will really up your strength/size gains. I'd do a set super slow, and then knock out the hi rep quick ones for sets.
Just my 2c
Actually I don't have any trouble doing dips or any pain. I just have trouble doing delt raises and overhead press sometimes. I can do dips till I pass out and never have trouble with my shoulder. The last comment before yours basically said that it's tough to reach a good enough volume to get results. I wonder if it would be a waste of time and maybe I should just stick to weights. Maybe the reason prisoner is get so damn jacked is because they literally have nothing else to do. Although I do think if I started a routine like this, it would be much more consistent so I don't know what I should do

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Actually I don't have any trouble doing dips or any pain. I just have trouble doing delt raises and overhead press sometimes. I can do dips till I pass out and never have trouble with my shoulder. The last comment before yours basically said that it's tough to reach a good enough volume to get results. I wonder if it would be a waste of time and maybe I should just stick to weights. Maybe the reason prisoner is get so damn jacked is because they literally have nothing else to do. Although I do think if I started a routine like this, it would be much more consistent so I don't know what I should do
How many pull ups etc can you do? If you can knock out endless reps it probably will be tough to gain. If you're a mere mortal like the rest of us, doing slomo from full hang will get you jacked.

R_Alan1

R_Alan1

Awards
  • Established
The prisoners have all the time to workout, eat and sleep. And believe it or not they have access to buy tuna and protein and whatever other stuff needed to grow

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How many pull ups etc can you do? If you can knock out endless reps it probably will be tough to gain. If you're a mere mortal like the rest of us, doing slomo from full hang will get you jacked.
Pullups probably 12-20 per set. But if I go slow I'm sure that number would drop. Also I can't totally hang because that will pinch my shoulder. I have to stop at like 90% to avoid further impingement. Maybe I should just slow down my reps

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You can always buy a belt to add weight. Or a vest etc.

btothefman

Awards
Do drop sets of Burpees daily, start at 1, jog to the other side of your room, do 2, jog back do 3, work your way to 20. You'll condition yourself well and get strong core / endurance, eat properly so you don't lose too much muscle and you'll lose ****loads of fat.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do drop sets of Burpees daily, start at 1, jog to the other side of your room, do 2, jog back do 3, work your way to 20. You'll condition yourself well and get strong core / endurance, eat properly so you don't lose too much muscle and you'll lose ****loads of fat.
In my opinion, relying solely on burpees is NOT an ideal way to workout, in regards to improving performance/endurance, muscle mass, or body fat. Actual "lifts," either with weights or even body-weight exercises (pullups, pushups, etc) will do more to increase strength and muscle mass for the target muscles than doing burpees will, and doing dedicated cardio that doesn't rely on repeated movements like a burpee that can lead to discomfort and/or injury when performed while significantly fatigued (degrading of proper form) are likely safer and more effective methods of cardio. That's not to say that you can't incorporate burpees into your routine, but I do think they're a quite overrated exercise.

Calinics

Calinics

Awards
All I do is calisthenics, I've never lifted weights. I'm a big advocate for this style of workout because you're using the muscles in your body needed to fuction without losing any flexibility. I'm 41 years old and as strong as ever and have never injured myself. I've been doing "Prison style" workouts for 13 years. I started unfortunately in Prison and continued as part of my daily routine after getting out. I think you can make gains and actually keep them longer JMO. Inmates don't work out all day long, maybe an average of 1 to 1 1/2 hrs a day. I did see a study done on how inmates get so big and tbey said because when you're in prison and always on your toes your body naturally produces more testosterone in that enviornment as a survival mechanism. I say go for it, if it's not working for you, you can always change it up and go back to whatever was working before.