Post Lockdown

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was due to compete this year, but the UK has been in lockdown for nearly 10 months now and in that time I've lost 25kg(55lbs). I've been training for over 10 years now, so I'm no newbie.
My question is this,
Should I play the long game and get as many natural gains as I can before jumping on a cycle and compete in 2023, or run a small cycle to gain as much back quickly and compete in 2022?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was due to compete this year, but the UK has been in lockdown for nearly 10 months now and in that time I've lost 25kg(55lbs). I've been training for over 10 years now, so I'm no newbie.
My question is this,
Should I play the long game and get as many natural gains as I can before jumping on a cycle and compete in 2023, or run a small cycle to gain as much back quickly and compete in 2022?
ahhh bro. Thats harsh. Didn’t you manage to get back on it when our gyms opened up last year for a bit?

honestly I think this lockdown will go to the end of march (gyms anyway) and if one of these variants gets a grip then maybe more lockdowns later in the year.....so if you don’t have access to enough stuff at home (or have a mate with a full set up) this year could be a write off. On that basis I’d maybe plan for 2023.

sorry I should know this from other posts but have you cycled before? If so that sort of weight loss suggests you’ve just dropped back to a natural genetic limit so natural gains would be hard to come by?

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How the hell did you drop that much? If it was all fat you weren’t even close to competing. If it was muscle you where Mr. O size

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ahhh bro. Thats harsh. Didn’t you manage to get back on it when our gyms opened up last year for a bit?

honestly I think this lockdown will go to the end of march (gyms anyway) and if one of these variants gets a grip then maybe more lockdowns later in the year.....so if you don’t have access to enough stuff at home (or have a mate with a full set up) this year could be a write off. On that basis I’d maybe plan for 2023.

sorry I should know this from other posts but have you cycled before? If so that sort of weight loss suggests you’ve just dropped back to a natural genetic limit so natural gains would be hard to come by?
I got back on it for the few months gyms were open, but I got no where near back to where I was before the first lockdown. This lockdown will last until at least the of March/April, but will most likely just go back to tier 4, so gyms will still be closed. I agree that 2020 and 2021 will be write off.
I've have cycled before, nothing crazy, but definitely pushed past natural limits.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I got back on it for the few months gyms were open, but I got no where near back to where I was before the first lockdown. This lockdown will last until at least the of March/April, but will most likely just go back to tier 4, so gyms will still be closed. I agree that 2020 and 2021 will be write off.
I've have cycled before, nothing crazy, but definitely pushed past natural limits.
[/QUOTE]

Take the money you're saving on gym membership(s), and buy iron/workout equipment for your home.

... Don't ever let this happen to you again.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How the hell did you drop that much? If it was all fat you weren’t even close to competing. If it was muscle you where Mr. O size
The only exercise I could really do was bodyweight stuff and cardio, of which I did too much of in the first lockdown. My appetite, diet and sleep have been **** too. I wasn't in contest shape before the lockdowns, so some of the loss was fat.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Take the money you're saving on gym membership (s), and buy iron/workout equipment for your home.

I would love to, but I lost my flat in the first lockdown, so can only afford to rent a room now.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Take the money you're saving on gym membership(s), and buy iron/workout equipment for your home.

This imo thats not even the question at home workouts are the future and may be the only option going forward. I made the shift completely in march last year and never looked back...dont feel the need to go to the gym at all, only thing i miss is not weightlifting or the gym but sparring sessions with my buddies...but we can always arrange those on our own

Looking back public gym is not the cleanest of places.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This imo thats not even the question at home workouts are the future and may be the only option going forward. I made the shift completely in march last year and never looked back...dont feel the need to go to the gym at all, only thing i miss is not weightlifting or the gym but sparring sessions with my buddies...but we can always arrange those on our own

Looking back public gym is not the cleanest of places.
If I ever have the space or money to make a home gym like the Americans have, I would/will for sure. All UK gyms are so oversubscribed and rammed. I go to a 24 hour gym, and I can't get on a bench or in a rack until like 2am

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would love to, but I lost my flat in the first lockdown, so can only afford to rent a room now.
When I was 14-17 years old, in my bedroom (my only personal space) I had a bed, a small dresser, and the rest of the room was filled with a bench, various bars, and weights.
No walking space, no empty space. Because that is what was/is important to me.

Buy the cheapest, crappiest, rustiest stuff you can find.
Cram it into your room, and use it.

It has been well said, that We find the ability to do what we value (variant).
And it is Very true.

:)(y)👊

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If I ever have the space or money to make a home gym like the Americans have, I would/will for sure. All UK gyms are so oversubscribed and rammed. I go to a 24 hour gym, and I can't get on a bench or in a rack until like 2am
I am also from Europe btw.

@Renew1 man my house is packed with all kinds of machinery and stuff i tend to collect and do not throw anything away...its more of a storage really than a house.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
When I was 14-17 years old, in my bedroom (my only personal space) I had a bed, a small dresser, and the rest of the room was filled with a bench, various bars, and weights.
No walking space, no empty space. Because that is what was/is important to me.

Buy the cheapest, crappiest, rustiest stuff you can find.
Cram it into your room, and use it.

It has been well said, that We find the ability to do what we value (variant).
And it is Very true.

:)(y)👊
That and a decent set of bands. Ya they’re not as good as weights, but it’s better than nothing. With a little creativity, you can get in a decent workout. Add some inexpensive dumbbells or kettlebells (or both) and it’ll help. That’s what I did the first few months of lockdown while I waited for my rack to get delivered and to be honest, it wasn’t bad at all. Super slow control work with bands focusing on specific muscle contractions will definitely help keep some size (in my experience anyway, but I’m not a giant dude).

Edit: but to add in an opinion regarding competing next year, it would be wise to wait until you’re in a good place for good training.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
where do you live mate?
I’m up in Widnes in the north west and tbf the 24 hour gyms aren’t that bad. I’m fortunate and having a full gym at home though (was the best thing I ever did)

prices for even crap are fucking stupid at the moment but I agree with @Renew1 - if you can find a way to get a set up at home it’s so worth it.

see a picture of a dude who only had a room the other day, he had a rack and weights in there. His bed was a mattress he dropped down onto the rack platform 😂

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
where do you live mate?
I’m up in Widnes in the north west and tbf the 24 hour gyms aren’t that bad. I’m fortunate and having a full gym at home though (was the best thing I ever did)

prices for even crap are fucking stupid at the moment but I agree with @Renew1 - if you can find a way to get a set up at home it’s so worth it.

see a picture of a dude who only had a room the other day, he had a rack and weights in there. His bed was a mattress he dropped down onto the rack platform 😂
Thats the one thing i cant do. I simply cant work or train in the same room i sleep in. If i do it doesnt feel right and cant sleep lol

It can be in the same house, rest of my house is like i said more of a storage shed rather than a place for a human being to live in, but one "sacred" place is my bedroom and that i associate with sleeping only.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
where do you live mate?
I’m up in Widnes in the north west and tbf the 24 hour gyms aren’t that bad.
I'm in Birmingham, West Midlands. I use about 4 different PureGym branches, but they're all full 20 hours out of the 24 each day/night. I can't even consider the independant places, who aren't 24 hours, because they're full from open until close too.

That and a decent set of bands. Ya they’re not as good as weights, but it’s better than nothing. Super slow control work with bands focusing on specific muscle contractions will definitely help keep some size
I do have some bands, but because I can't get a good workout with them I don't use them too often.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
by the time biden is done with lockdowns here in US there won't be many independent owned gyms left and the big corporate gym are going to be filled with yuppies, unemployed and college students----going to be a lot of unemployed people--lots of people with too much time on their hands.

like @Renew1 said home gym is the future.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
by the time biden is done with lockdowns here in US there won't be many independent owned gyms left and the big corporate gym are going to be filled with yuppies, unemployed and college students----going to be a lot of unemployed people--lots of people with too much time on their hands.

like @Renew1 said home gym is the future.
It's the same with Boris over here. We've been locked down and gymless now for 9 months out of the past 12 here, and we're currently in a lockdown until April.
Our gyms will be the same, but our home gyms will be much more expensive. I agree with @Renew1 , which is a sad looking, but realistic, future. We don't really have garages here in the UK, and space of any kind carrier a premium price tag.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
It's the same with Boris over here. We've been locked down and gymless now for 9 months out of the past 12 here, and we're currently in a lockdown until April.
Our gyms will be the same, but our home gyms will be much more expensive. I agree with @Renew1 , which is a sad looking, but realistic, future. We don't really have garages here in the UK, and space of any kind carrier a premium price tag.
make your way up the m6 mate, I’m fortunate but I do have a double detached garage which I converted. Full power rack, 4 m of lifting platform, set of comp bumpers, about 800kg metal plates, few specialty bars, a leg press/back squat combo, db’s from 6kg to 50kg, plyo box, heavy bag for cardio and some other bits and pieces....... welcome to come round carrying a paintbrush (in case your stopped) and smash a session out

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
make your way up the m6 mate, I’m fortunate but I do have a double detached garage which I converted. Full power rack, 4 m of lifting platform, set of comp bumpers, about 800kg metal plates, few specialty bars, a leg press/back squat combo, db’s from 6kg to 50kg, plyo box, heavy bag for cardio and some other bits and pieces....... welcome to come round carrying a paintbrush (in case your stopped) and smash a session out
Your set up sounds incredible! You could start your own independant gym after all this with that amount of equipment.
I sold my car in the first lockdown so can't get up there at the minute, but I might take you up on the offer if I can in future.

Credit for the funnies with the paintbrush comment

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Your set up sounds incredible! You could start your own independant gym after all this with that amount of equipment.
I sold my car in the first lockdown so can't get up there at the minute, but I might take you up on the offer if I can in future.

Credit for the funnies with the paintbrush comment
honestly bro, genuine offer to come use it. Probably 90 mins from you so not ideal but in the current circumstances.....

as it happens I owned a couple of independent gyms until last year when my business partner/mate screwed me over so had a fair bit of the equipment from that.

ive had a number of mates suddenly engaged in ‘painting or decorating’ my house as a reason to be here 😂😂

hand sanitizer etc is used as whilst I don’t like anyone’s gains to be compromised I try to be sensible as obviously the sooner this shite calms down the sooner everyone can get back in the gyms 👌

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
ive had a number of mates suddenly engaged in ‘painting or decorating’ my house as a reason to be here 😂😂
Wait is it that serious? Cant they simply say hey me and my buddy are going to workout at his place now that gyms are closed etc?

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wait is it that serious? Cant they simply say hey me and my buddy are going to workout at his place now that gyms are closed etc?
I got stopped and questioned by the police whilst I was out running. They wanted to know where I lived, how long I'd been out, how far I'd been and how many times I'd been out that day.
People are getting fined for travelling to national parks, being out more than once per day, being too far from their home address, travelling to care for elderly relatives, talking to people outside (even when socially distanced) here in the UK

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I got stopped and questioned by the police whilst I was out running. They wanted to know where I lived, how long I'd been out, how far I'd been and how many times I'd been out that day.
People are getting fined for travelling to national parks, being out more than once per day, being too far from their home address, travelling to care for elderly relatives, talking to people outside (even when socially distanced) here in the UK
That's CRAZY!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
The restrictions are tough here in the UK. Every time you leave your home you risk a £200($272) fine, regardless of reason.
We're (still) rebels over here.

We'll only take so much before we start fighting back.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
yeah bro. It’s crazy. The Government were encouraging people to inform on neighbours breaking rules and all sorts. Police been out fining people, they even had security guards who normally work as bouncers on the door at tesco earlier to make sure people wear masks

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yeah bro. It’s crazy. The Government were encouraging people to inform on neighbours breaking rules and all sorts. Police been out fining people, they even had security guards who normally work as bouncers on the door at tesco earlier to make sure people wear masks
i am pretty sure that is what biden has in store for us!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We're (still) rebels over here.

We'll only take so much before we start fighting back.
lol...dissent is being silenced. if you don't agree with government it's sedition. things are going to get really ugly once biden takes over, imo.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
lol...dissent is being silenced. if you don't agree with government it's sedition. things are going to get really ugly once biden takes over, imo.
Oh, it'll get ugly alright.

I've mellowed a LITTLE over the years, but a lot of the people I hung out with years ago kinda went the opposite way.

You won't take anything they don't want you to have.
Unless you kill them first.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oh, it'll get ugly alright.

I've mellowed a LITTLE over the years, but a lot of the people I hung out with years ago kinda went the opposite way.

You won't take anything they don't want you to have.
Unless you kill them first.
i suppose you are refering to their guns-eh?

i wouldn't be surprised if they use armed national guard to support gun laws since sheriffs in virgina refused to support them there? tbh, the way things are going nothing would surprise me-well almost....:cool:

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
i suppose you are refering to their guns-eh?

i wouldn't be surprised if they use armed national guard to support gun laws since sheriffs in virgina refused to support them there? tbh, the way things are going nothing would surprise me-well almost....:cool:

Nothing would surprise me, either.

I have friends who are current, and former military, current and "former" contractors. ... And just regular law-abiding Joes who just want to be left alone. .. and decided that they WILL BE.

But what would/will finally break everything apart is when they use lethal force to try and enforce their nonsense.
After that, it'll all be over, but the ending.

... We now take you back to your previously un-hijacked thread.

:)

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Turning citizens and neighbours against each other, allways a smart move 🤦‍♂️

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nothing would surprise me, either.

I have friends who are current, and former military, current and "former" contractors. ... And just regular law-abiding Joes who just want to be left alone. .. and decided that they WILL BE.

But what would/will finally break everything apart is when they use lethal force to try and enforce their nonsense.
After that, it'll all be over, but the ending.

... We now take you back to your previously un-hijacked thread.

:)
The biggest problem i have with gun control is not the fact pushes are being made to make access to guns more difficult as a path to a so-called more civilized society (which is debatable, people are just going to use other objects to kill, you know, their hands if you wanna prevent murders you have to ban people, or maybe stupid governments so that ridicoulous bans dont need to be put in the first place)...

Its the very fact that those who want to prevent others from having guns want to still keep them for themselves!

hello??? What the hell is wrong with people?? Man i get so pissed off how the hell cant majority of people see through the hypocrisy. Give up your guns but hey we will keep ours!

Oh no, you wont... 😠

@Whisky thats sth i would never do. Snitching neighbors to the police for such petty things?? Wtf? First of all i have never called the cops in my life and certainly wouldnt for such a thing.

Damn this is why we lose our freedoms, because oh no i need "them" to protect me i am so scared oh no

😠

Last edited:
Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
This imo thats not even the question at home workouts are the future and may be the only option going forward.
The future ... why would home workouts be the future? You're acting like this is it for humanity lol

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The future ... why would home workouts be the future? You're acting like this is it for humanity lol
first of all whats wrong with home workouts?

secondly this sh1t will change us as the society permanently. i myself was asocial before but now i am seeing it with others around me too.

People who i am in contact with dont even think about it...this situation is simply accepted as the new norm.

what i have to say though is that life at the countryside is more or less unchanged, and thats the beauty of it. I myself live a part of the year in the city and part of the year at the countryside...going forward i see the latter as a much better option.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
first of all whats wrong with home workouts?

secondly this sh1t will change us as the society permanently. i myself was asocial before but now i am seeing it with others around me too.

People who i am in contact with dont even think about it...this situation is simply accepted as the new norm.

what i have to say though is that life at the countryside is more or less unchanged, and thats the beauty of it. I myself live a part of the year in the city and part of the year at the countryside...going forward i see the latter as a much better option.
Bro, no, don't think like that. It pains me to read this. Sure, we will change to a degree, but no, off-course we'll get back to normal one day.

I'm a city center dweller. Live in the center, work in the center, hang in the center, in galleries, bars, etc. Fuack home workouts and fuack this way off thinking.

No angry at you btw bro : )

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bro, no, don't think like that. It pains me to read this. Sure, we will change to a degree, but no, off-course we'll get back to normal one day.

I'm a city center dweller. Live in the center, work in the center, hang in the center, in galleries, bars, etc. Fuack home workouts and fuack this way off thinking.

No hard feelings at all

It simply seems that our thought patterns diverge...nothing else.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

tbh I’m with Cro to some extent. I definitely believe this situation will change many things permanently (things that were already a direction of travel have been hastened, such as home working, online shopping and home food deliveries etc).

this isn’t the end of social interaction of course but I think moving forward it will become more the reason to meet (ie socially interact with other humans) rather than a by product of going to work/school,

schools will move towards primarily home learning imo (think ready player 1) and VR will blow up.

when we look back I think this will be seen as the advent of the digital era, the time in history where a digital way of life became the normal.

from a training perspective I think the big box gyms will fail. Based on their business models it will only take a 10-20% member drop off (ie people switching to a home workout approach) and they’ll have to put prices up, that will drive away less committed members and so on.

the smaller class based or niche lifting gyms will probably benefit though, partly because the social interaction is a much bigger component of those places so people will seek that out. I also think the high end (almost spa like) gyms will do well but again because it’s more than just working out.

interesting times ahead

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Bro, MANY have Always enjoyed home workouts.
I have.
It has Always been my preference.

It seems I always know people who own gyms, and I can use them whenever I like, but it is never my norm.

I also enjoy the "countryside" more than the city. .... But spend most of my time in between the two.

What the government and media is trying to sell as "the new norm", will NEVER be my Norm.
NEVER.

.... And I don't fault guys who would rather workout in a public gym.

I just hate seeing all these guys who "got fat" or lost big amounts of mass because they "can't" lift now.

Ugh.

Screw letting anyone else decide what you can or can't do.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
tbh I’m with Cro to some extent. I definitely believe this situation will change many things permanently (things that were already a direction of travel have been hastened, such as home working, online shopping and home food deliveries etc).

this isn’t the end of social interaction of course but I think moving forward it will become more the reason to meet (ie socially interact with other humans) rather than a by product of going to work/school,

schools will move towards primarily home learning imo (think ready player 1) and VR will blow up.

when we look back I think this will be seen as the advent of the digital era, the time in history where a digital way of life became the normal.

from a training perspective I think the big box gyms will fail. Based on their business models it will only take a 10-20% member drop off (ie people switching to a home workout approach) and they’ll have to put prices up, that will drive away less committed members and so on.

the smaller class based or niche lifting gyms will probably benefit though, partly because the social interaction is a much bigger component of those places so people will seek that out. I also think the high end (almost spa like) gyms will do well but again because it’s more than just working out.

interesting times ahead
Damn, I really hope the future wont look like that.

Our gym are actually packed once they open up. They were opened for a week just now, and they were maxed out (in line with the governments restrictions of max participants).

Maybe some countries peoples will behave differently, but I can't imagine our folks being locked up.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Bro, MANY have Always enjoyed home workouts.
I have.
It has Always been my preference.

It seems I always know people who own gyms, and I can use them whenever I like, but it is never my norm.

I also enjoy the "countryside" more than the city. .... But spend most of my time in between the two.

What the government and media is trying to sell as "the new norm", will NEVER be my Norm.
NEVER.

.... And I don't fault guys who would rather workout in a public gym.

I just hate seeing all these guys who "got fat" or lost big amounts of mass because they "can't" lift now.

Ugh.

Screw letting anyone else decide what you can or can't do.
i've been working on my current home gym for around 15 years, started it before we moved...now i have nearly everything i would use at a gym in my home basement--without the hassle!!!!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I train in my home gym out of preference. I have a membership to a big box gym purely for the social (I go with some mates and just train arms 😂)

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From a training perspective I think the big box gyms will fail. Based on their business models it will only take a 10-20% member drop off (ie people switching to a home workout approach) and they’ll have to put prices up, that will drive away less committed members and so on
As someone who works for a commercial gym company I can provide some extra info on this...

After both lockdowns we have seen record numbers in new member sign ups, even with the added joining fee.
Most commercial gyms charge their PT's extortionate rent, which is where gyms make 30% of their money.
Some members have said that they'd pay triple what they pay now for our facilities, so even with a price hike, I doubt we'd loose enough to put even close to the wall.

i've been working on my current home gym for around 15 years, started it before we moved...now i have nearly everything i would use at a gym in my home basement--without the hassle!!!!
That's the dream for me, I'd just hopefully be able to get it set up sooner. Equipment, in any state, is much more expensive in the UK than the prices my US friends have paid for their stuff.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
As someone who works for a commercial gym company I can provide some extra info on this...

After both lockdowns we have seen record numbers in new member sign ups, even with the added joining fee.
Most commercial gyms charge their PT's extortionate rent, which is where gyms make 30% of their money.
Some members have said that they'd pay triple what they pay now for our facilities, so even with a price hike, I doubt we'd loose enough to put even close to the wall.

That's the dream for me, I'd just hopefully be able to get it set up sooner. Equipment, in any state, is much more expensive in the UK than the prices my US friends have paid for their stuff.
from what i have heard commercial gyms are packed with bullshyters on cellphones and just sitting around taking up equipment...it is the little independent owned gyms that are going to suffer-when this is all over i expecr many of them will have gone under.

i am very happy i started buying equipment 30 years ago, yard sales, auctions were my friend...look for gym closing, they usually auction off equipment, i bought a pristine treadmill from a gym at a auction for right at $750=steal, imo.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
from what i have heard commercial gyms are packed with bullshyters on cellphones and just sitting around taking up equipment...it is the little independent owned gyms that are going to suffer-when this is all over i expecr many of them will have gone under.

i am very happy i started buying equipment 30 years ago, yard sales, auctions were my friend...look for gym closing, they usually auction off equipment, i bought a pristine treadmill from a gym at a auction for right at $750=steal, imo.
Yeah brother.
Many small gyms have closed, and more will close.

Up until recently, you could buy new (or twice used) equipment for excellent prices at thrift stores.
But things have gotten more expensive, as demand for Home gyms has gone up.

In the past, I've seen BIG home gyms go for Almost nothing, just to make room.

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

We do have a lot of the Instawankers admittedly, but if I'm on shift and I know there's a serious person waiting for the equipment I normally make the attention whores move on.
I support my independant gyms here and we have quite a large community. All 200 of us have chosen to keep paying our memberships throughout lockdown.

I've bought a bench and some adjutstable dumbbells off FaceBook Market Place for just under £800 ($1,087).

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
We do have a lot of the Instawankers admittedly, but if I'm on shift and I know there's a serious person waiting for the equipment I normally make the attention whores move on.
I support my independant gyms here and we have quite a large community. All 200 of us have chosen to keep paying our memberships throughout lockdown.

I've bought a bench and some adjutstable dumbbells off FaceBook Market Place for just under £800 ($1,087).
damn, that is very expensive for used equipment...damn!!!!

Slims

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
damn, that is very expensive for used equipment...damn!!!!
Any sort of gym equipment here is at a premium. There's a local company selling adjustable dumbbells for over £1000($1359) per set

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bigman1292 Natural Bodybuilding 0
PhantomReaper General Chat 36
Supplements 0
Post Cycle Therapy 14
Anabolics 3