Pop-tarts pre/post workout

tsmog

tsmog

Awards
Could pop-tarts in the diet help with increased mass and strength gains? Specifically when bulking.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My god. Someone say yes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been using them for years around training. Quick way to down a decent amount of carbs.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There's nothing magic about them. They just taste pretty good and come in a million flavors and are easy to transport and fairly inexpensive. Otherwise, it's just 400 calories a pack of 70g sugar and some junk fat. You could just as soon eat any other sugar or simple carb product likely and have similar results. Marius Pudzianowksi was reported to eat a whole bag of mini snickers during many of his training sessions. He just needed a truly ridiculous amount of calories to fuel his performance, but he was 5x WSM.

If they fit your dietary goals and you wanna eat sugar, go for it. Same thing with all this Doughnuts and deadlifts nonsense - there's nothing special about eating doughnuts around training, but if you like it go for it. Who doesn't like a good doughnut occasionally, amirite??

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
On a cut.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On a cut.
Would you spend 2-400 of your calories a day in a deficit on something likely to make you hungrier? If so, then yes.

I'm not being facetious. Some can cut on very high cals, or keep all carbs periworkout and don't have hunger at those times. Just depends on what you need.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hyde, I like a good donut all the time. Not just occasionally. Donuts and beer pre workout all day everyday.

Alpha1a

Alpha1a

Awards
  • Established
I'm with Hyde here. I'm a firm believer in fast carbs around workouts, and I'm sure while bulking they won't necessarily "hurt" the weight gain but I personally prefer sticking to fruits pre durning and post and maybe a Gatorade during and/or immediately after a workout to skip the fat and IMO that pure dextrose will be easier to break down then all the ingredients in a pop tart (I'm sure that's more fact than opinion but not gunna argue with no one)

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
really the only downside to a pop tart (assuming you're looking for the "quick/simple" carb source) is the fat content... the mroe fat, the slower its all processed.

That said, pop tarts are awesome. anytime. same with donuts.

If you REALLY want gangster gainz tho - marshmallow peeps!

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I love pop tarts and they have never hindered any progress no matter the goal. That being said, I will consume a pop tart, not the box.

scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Could pop-tarts in the diet help with increased mass and strength gains? Specifically when bulking.
A lot of support for these things, I just don't get it ? so here is a counter point for your question.....

No, not good. Do not consume "junk" food on a bulk even if "they're crazy good" .....don't ever eat Pop-Tarts...pls review the label and you will see nothing healthy in them at all and possibly some dangerous stuff which could have neg adverse effects. As you can tell I have a bias against them so if you want to become a fat disturbing piece of blubber then go ahead and chow down on these high calorie chemicals :)

F

fakenatty3

Awards
Whenever I eat something like a pop tart. It would be post workout majority of the time and I'll pop glucozene which will help with insulin sensitivity and glucose transport.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whenever I eat something like a pop tart. It would be post workout majority of the time and I'll pop glucozene which will help with insulin sensitivity and glucose transport.
GDAs are almost pointless post training. The GLUT-4 activation from intense training is much higher than anything a GDA will do.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
GDAs are almost pointless post training. The GLUT-4 activation from intense training is much higher than anything a GDA will do.
Could it not actually be counterproductive even? Iirc not many ingredients in gdas (maybe berberine? I think i remember hearing 1 was) are specific to act solely in muscle tissue whereas the glut-4 expression resulting from training IS selective to muscle tissue. So what I'm saying is taking a gda post workout could also stimulate glut-4 activation in adipocytes where it otherwise would not have been active, leading to an increased (albeit likely slight) susceptibility to storing fat instead of disposing glucose into muscle as glycogen.

Im not saying that as a fact, just that from what I remember, that would be the case. Someone correct me if im wrong.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Could it not actually be counterproductive even? Iirc not many ingredients in gdas (maybe berberine? I think i remember hearing 1 was) are specific to act solely in muscle tissue whereas the glut-4 expression resulting from training IS selective to muscle tissue. So what I'm saying is taking a gda post workout could also stimulate glut-4 activation in adipocytes where it otherwise would not have been active, leading to an increased (albeit likely slight) susceptibility to storing fat instead of disposing glucose into muscle as glycogen.

Im not saying that as a fact, just that from what I remember, that would be the case. Someone correct me if im wrong.
In theory, yes, but I would think the activation from training would override it.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A lot of support for these things, I just don't get it ? so here is a counter point for your question.....

No, not good. Do not consume "junk" food on a bulk even if "they're crazy good" .....don't ever eat Pop-Tarts...pls review the label and you will see nothing healthy in them at all and possibly some dangerous stuff which could have neg adverse effects. As you can tell I have a bias against them so if you want to become a fat disturbing piece of blubber then go ahead and chow down on these high calorie chemicals :)
This is the primary counter argument for not just eating anything you can fit into your macros, and poses the prime question to OP: you wanna eat oats w berries and a tbsp of pb or do you wanna eat poptarts and gummy bears?

If you wanna try to live as long as possible, probably would go with the oats. If you have IBS or Crohn's that destroys your ability to process nutrients and are trying to be a competitive heavyweight strongman at all costs, you might go for the latter.

You only get one life - live it however you see best.

MikeG5

MikeG5

Awards
This is the primary counter argument for not just eating anything you can fit into your macros, and poses the prime question to OP: you wanna eat oats w berries and a tbsp of pb or do you wanna eat poptarts and gummy bears?

If you wanna try to live as long as possible, probably would go with the oats. If you have IBS or Crohn's that destroys your ability to process nutrients and are trying to be a competitive heavyweight strongman at all costs, you might go for the latter.

You only get one life - live it however you see best.
THIS.

Nothing special about pop-tarts. Yeah they taste great, but the reason people say eat poptarts post workout is the sugar for the insulin spike. I prefer a bowl of oats with some honey and cinnamon with chicken on the side or scoop or two of whey. Look at all the crap in pop tarts too. Every now and then yeah I'll have poptarts post workout or some sugary cereal post workout.

dds

dds

Awards
  • Established
I eat a pack (2 poptarts) before, 2 during and then toss 2 in the blender with proteon powder for postworkout

M

mike33511

Awards
  • Established
THIS.

Nothing special about pop-tarts. Yeah they taste great, but the reason people say eat poptarts post workout is the sugar for the insulin spike. I prefer a bowl of oats with some honey and cinnamon with chicken on the side or scoop or two of whey. Look at all the crap in pop tarts too. Every now and then yeah I'll have poptarts post workout or some sugary cereal post workout.
There is no need for carbs post-workout. Drinking a protein shake will spike insulin just fine and will actually have an effect on MPS. Carbs post-workout will help replenish glycogen stores, which can help with physical fatigue after an intense weightlifting session, but they have no effect on MPS unless an insufficient amount of protein is consumed (6g if I remember correctly). This has been demonstrated in scientific studies.

I'd rather consume carbs pre or intra-workout to help with performance. I like 25g of HBCD in a liter of water intra.

S

so1970

Awards
Another look at it is does eating a pop tart make you happy. I work out because I enjoy it.otherwise I wouldn't if you want a pop tart.e at a pop tart. Don't make yourself a slave to your diet .treat yourself once in awhile.

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I chow down on these high calorie chemicals and I am far from a fat disturbing piece of blubber lol...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I chow down on these high calorie chemicals and I am far from a fat disturbing piece of blubber lol...
Haha, and calling them "dangerous" is a bit sensational, unless you're allergic to them or something, haha. Also, and now I'm definitely nitpicking his comment, but isn't negative adverse effects a bit redundant?

Woody

Woody

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Haha, and calling them "dangerous" is a bit sensational, unless you're allergic to them or something, haha. Also, and now I'm definitely nitpicking his comment, but isn't negative adverse effects a bit redundant?
I'm trying to think of positive adverse effects and I'm drawing a blank.
IMG_1480390363.607520.jpg

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good catch. It's a double negative. So, scientifically, poptarts are gains.
Yup. But really, if eating a pop tart is the most "dangerous" thing you do, or even makes it on the list, I don't really know what to say, except you must be really fun at parties.

K

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yup. But really, if eating a pop tart is the most "dangerous" thing you do, or even makes it on the list, I don't really know what to say, except you must be really fun at parties.
LOL, that is what I am thinking in this thread. I am living my life on the very edge everyday if this is the case.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So many things I'd rather eat than Pop Tarts...

Just not nearly that good. Too much chalky cardboard, not enough filling.

Now those doughnuts you were talking about though... ;)

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
Even if I am on a bulk, the last thing I want to do is consume a massive amount of sugar.