Politics in the gym?

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I put my headphones in and get **** done and leave. If you're having conversations anywhere, then politics is going to find its way into them. The extent of my conversations at the gym is "are you done with that?"

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I put my headphones in and get **** done and leave.

The extent of my conversations at the gym is "are you done with that?"
Period!

That 75 mins is the most efficient effective productive fulfilling and gratify part of my day and I don't share it with anyone.

OT I don't talk politics but I'll be happy to talk values principles character trustworthiness and integrity of politicians ;)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Exactly. I don't mean to be a non-social jerk at the gym, but that is my time and I'm there for one purpose. No judgement on people that want to go there and socialize, but if you're going to open yourself to conversations, then politics is on the table.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would arrive at 3:30 sometimes (am) and FOX was on full blast, and 3 people in the gym.
Headphones ON; World OFF.

There is no place for politics or religion or any disucsison other than; "Can I work in with you, please?"
The gym is the Altar of IRON and the prayers are the quiet movement and breathing.

It's the last bastion; rampart; citadel of peace and neutrality amongst us all.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There are many times I find myself with headphones on, and nothing is playing.... It’s a lifesaver!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
One of the guys who used to come in all the time (I called him Deadlift Dan, but after a while I realised Dan wasn't even his name, but it was too late) with whom I would chat most mornings decided, after about 6 months, he wanted to talk to me about Jesus. I thought he was kidding, and laughingly told him to **** off, but turns out he wasn't and he never spoke to me or even acknowledged me again.

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hate to come off like a jerk, and I try to be friendly if someone talks to me at the gym; but 9 times out of 10, the gym is my only alone time in the day and I cherish it. I don't want to talk to anyone about anything while I'm there.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I hate to come off like a jerk, and I try to be friendly if someone talks to me at the gym; but 9 times out of 10, the gym is my only alone time in the day and I cherish it. I don't want to talk to anyone about anything while I'm there.
Exactly...
I have zero interest in talking to anyone at my gym. There are plenty of opportunities (too many) to talk to people out of the gym! If I have to take off my headphones to listen to someone for even 5 seconds, it completely throws me out of my zone. I tend to be quite hyperfocused due to my preworkout supplements. Fortunately, most people know better than to disrupt my personal gym bubble.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
One of the guys who used to come in all the time (I called him Deadlift Dan, but after a while I realised Dan wasn't even his name, but it was too late) with whom I would chat most mornings decided, after about 6 months, he wanted to talk to me about Jesus. I thought he was kidding, and laughingly told him to **** off, but turns out he wasn't and he never spoke to me or even acknowledged me again.
Don’t you know that Jesus is the Whey?

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t talk to anyone at the gym about anything. Period. If I did, it certainly wouldn’t be about politics or Jesus.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I march in and march right now...no socializing especially politics. Avoid news on TV and the paper, just completely focus on trying to get a good workout in for a measly 60-90 minutes.

Ive learned in the past too once you start building relationships people then they think you want to talk to them all the time, you get sucked into a black hole. I just cant do that, not there. Train and success, nothing else.

Big headphones are always mandatory, block out anything people are talking about to keep my mind on training, nothing else.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I march in and march right now...no socializing especially politics. Avoid news on TV and the paper, just completely focus on trying to get a good workout in for a measly 60-90 minutes.

Ive learned in the past too once you start building relationships people then they think you want to talk to them all the time, you get sucked into a black hole. I just cant do that, not there. Train and success, nothing else.

Big headphones are always mandatory, block out anything people are talking about to keep my mind on training, nothing else.
I switched to earbuds, love em!!! 70's rock!!!!

at gym at work at play, hell I would have my earbuds in while having sex if my wife weren't such a prude....

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I listen to political podcasts when Iift

But dont talk politics period...I dont need to hear sjw progressive nonsense, conspiracy anti everything nonsense, or even **** i agree with but can easily see the person doesnt fully know the topic...just keep it to yourself, much like your fantasy football team, no one cares

Evelone

Evelone

Awards
Talking about politics may get you angry which may help when you're in gym.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Find someone with opposite opinions so as jack you up for that squat PR. Interesting....I may try this.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You think the person who talked about them in the gym suffers from low T?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
the 'talk' might end up in parking lot the way things are today, lol.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My wife bought me a Lets Go Brandon tshirt that I almost never wear outside the house. I live in a blue state and while I feel rooted in my political leanings, I have zero need to stir up that kinda drama.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My wife bought me a Lets Go Brandon tshirt that I almost never wear outside the house. I live in a blue state and while I feel rooted in my political leanings, I have zero need to stir up that kinda drama.
Not worth the attention and bullshyt, especially when your trying to workout and focusing on making yourself better.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What happened to the era where you'd just nod your head to acknowledge another gym bro, while headphones were on and in? Isn't that bro code, unless it's "hey, can I grab a spot" on your top set?

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Not worth the attention and bullshyt, especially when your trying to workout and focusing on making yourself better.
I love visiting Arizona. During the "pandemic" Washington state was just a looney bin. It always felt like I was going to visit America when I landed in Arizona. everything was different. even the political signage all over was great. I love that state.

What happened to the era where you'd just nod your head to acknowledge another gym bro, while headphones were on and in? Isn't that bro code, unless it's "hey, can I grab a spot" on your top set?
Yeah tried that the other day and the guy didn't get a hint. lol he signaled to pull my ear buds out while I was in the middle of deadlift working sets so he could ask me if it was back day and if I wanted to buy his supplements.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t really wear political stuff that roots for a person or party, but for example I do wear my hat in my profile that looks like a maga hat, except it says “Epstein didn’t kill himself.”

Usually if anything people like it, or they look ready to melt down expecting maga and don’t know what to do when they see it isn’t.

Granted I am a headphones head down guy 99% of the time.

ax1

ax1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don’t really wear political stuff that roots for a person or party, but for example I do wear my hat in my profile that looks like a maga hat, except it says “Epstein didn’t kill himself.”

Usually if anything people like it, or they look ready to melt down expecting maga and don’t know what to do when they see it isn’t.

Granted I am a headphones head down guy 99% of the time.
I actually wore a Joe Jorgenson shirt portraying the statue of Liberty a few times before the last election, all got a few thumbs up. Its hard to hate on her other than you get that "your wasting your vote "mumbo jumbo, but generally people know not to talk to me in the gym and they respect that because they know I like to focus on training.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don't like discussing politics anytime, I just get mad !!

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I actually wore a Joe Jorgenson shirt portraying the statue of Liberty a few times before the last election, all got a few thumbs up. Its hard to hate on her other than you get that "your wasting your vote "mumbo jumbo, but generally people know not to talk to me in the gym and they respect that because they know I like to focus on training.
LOL I wore a TRUMP shirt one time when I was still jacked, and no one was wanting to **** with me... all the VETS gave me the bro nod~!

DarkHelix

DarkHelix

Awards
To me politics AND religion are the two verboten subjects to ever discuss in a gym as tempers can rise much more quickly among testosterone and adrenaline pumped guys.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
scripture comes to mind;
“Do not cast your pearls before swine”