Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So my buddy is a nutritionist and personal trainer and he wanted to pick apart my diet and reprogram it for the cut Im doing. The plan is to be as strong as I can around 180-185lbs come September. Then the end of September I need to weigh in at 178lbs. I'm already down to 192.8 as of this morning so there's no magic that needs to happen. I really think he's just not giving me enough food. He's definitely got a healthy balanced diet going but carbs seem too low for my training ect. Making the shift push+quads, pull+hamstrings and training every other day. I also have a boxing class 4x week that involves bag work, sparing jumping rope and some plyometric stuff. No road work yet but that's coming soon. Supposed to start this august 1st

1. 1 cup oats, 1 cup fairlife milk, 1 banana, 1 scoop whey, 1 tsp cinnamon

2. Half a bag of spinach, 6oz beef, 1/4 cup Greek yogurt, extra vegetables if I choose and 2 servings of fruit. I usually eat watermelon and pineapple

3. Peanut butter and sugar free preserves on Dave's killer bread "pre workout"

4. 10gm eaa, 5 gm creatine, 10gm glutamine, 50gm carbs from dextrose " this is my standard intra workout for lifting and I will do the same for boxing classes.

5. 6oz chicken breast, 1 cup rice, 2 servings Vegetables. Rice can be swapped out with pasta or potatoes at a equal calorie count.

I haven't totaled everything up yet but at a glance it only looks to be around 2300 calories, 200p, 200c, 100f

Again I'm completely eyeballing that I gotta look it up at some point. But my maintenance at 195lbs was 3000cal. Looks like way too big of a change in calories

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm thinking post workout I add a bowl of cereal and a scoop of vanilla whey mixed in water or milk and push meal 5 back a little.

My initial set up had pretty much the same foods but in different combinations giving me 4 meals that each contained 50pro, 75 carb and a little fat and that same intra workout I listed above for a total of 2800 calories on most days

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not bulking, I have to loose weight. 3000 is a out my maintenance calories

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The food itself looks good... I just don’t like where you’re starting at... ideally(I’m sure you know that) you want to start dieting with calories as high as possible out of a bulk/ off season.. leaving you much room to lower carbs throughout the weeks/months. I’m starting my prep in September’s and carbs are going to be around 650-700... so By the time I’m 5-6% BF I’ll still be eating more carbs than you are at the moment... I just think you don’t have much room to play with and you’ll end up starving yourself and losing muscle... the whole point of starting high (after months of eating a lot) is avoiding to lose muscle when you end up on 50-100g of carbs or less a week.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I
The food itself looks good... I just don’t like where you’re starting at... ideally(I’m sure you know that) you want to start dieting with calories as high as possible out of a bulk/ off season.. leaving you much room to lower carbs throughout the weeks/months. I’m starting my prep in September’s and carbs are going to be around 650-700... so By the time I’m 5-6% BF I’ll still be eating more carbs than you are at the moment... I just think you don’t have much room to play with and you’ll end up starving yourself and losing muscle... the whole point of starting high (after months of eating a lot) is avoiding to lose muscle when you end up on 50-100g of carbs or less a week.
Calories are too low, carbs are too low as well. Im not going with his meal plan, I will be using most of the same foods as there already foods I typically eat. Also keep in mind I need carbs as high as possible, I'm cutting to make weight for a exhibition fight on my buddies boxing event, not a bodybuilding show. Ideally I don't want to go too far under 10% because I need my strength and energy high, I haven't stepped in the ring for a actual fight in 16 years and my opponent is going to be 10 or 11 years younger then me, I'm probably going to eat to maintain once I hit 10% and suck the last couple pounds from water weight.

There's also a possibility this whole fight night gets canned because of all the covid bullshit poping back up. It might even make more sense just to eat maintenance the whole time and cut 12-15lbs the week of the fight like I use to do back in the day.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh **** you’re going to fight? Didn’t know you were doing mma/boxing

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Oh **** you’re going to fight? Didn’t know you were doing mma/boxing
I fought competitively till I was 21, 3 boxing matches, 1 mma fight and stopped when I had my first kid, picked up smoking and drinking like a dumbass. At 25 I started working out again mostly just lifting weights and ran a couple cycles. At 30 I got injured and stopped gear and worked out what I could for the next few years. Then a little over 2 years ago I quit everything bad Like drinking and partying and since then I have been working out pretty hard. I do about a 50/50 split between bodybuilding and boxing stuff now. I know there counter productive for each other lol. I have no high hopes of making a comeback this is purely because I was asked to fill a slot on the card and I just want to fight for the sake of fighting. At the same time I'm using this little cut/ extra cardio and stuff to get myself "primed" to start a serious bulk this winter. I have a bad habit of conflicting goals lol

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Back when I was fighting there was no amateur mma, you had to be a professional boxer, kick boxer or some form of martial arts to compete. So before my mma fight at 19 I got license as a professional kickboxer even though I've never kicked boxed professionally LOL. I just had to do that so I could continue to have amateur Regular boxing matches at the time.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
So this thread is dead, I'm just poping in to say I'm sticking with my original plan which is about 3000 calories, 200pro, 300-400 carbs depending on the training that day and the rest from fat.

Once I get a little closer to the fight I'm thinking about recording some of my training and a buddy had a cool idea Im considering. All my friends are always joking how I'm trying to accomplish all my goals 10 years too late lol. So I'm 36 now and about to do another boxing match after a 15-16 year lay off, I always wanted to do a real powerlifting meet, and maybe if the boxing match goes well I can entertain a low level mma fight or a naga grappling tournament. And finally maybe do a men's physique contest or something. He wants me to start documenting everything and make a YouTube channel or something about trying to accomplish everything after "the ship has sailed lol" I'm thinking about maybe doing it and calling it ( fighting 40 ) trying to do 1 each year till I'm 40. Just a thought, it would definitely help keep me accountable for putting in the work

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Have you thought about lower / higher days? Works well and is more and more popular in the bb world.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Have you thought about lower / higher days? Works well and is more and more popular in the bb world.
Calories or carbs. My plan was to keep calories about the same, just add a extra 100 carbs on boxing days. I'm open to anything, I'm not some high performance athlete " but I pretend really hard!" Lol. As long as I get my 200 protein and can keep my energy high I'm down to try anything. What were you thinking

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Calories or carbs. My plan was to keep calories about the same, just add a extra 100 carbs on boxing days. I'm open to anything, I'm not some high performance athlete " but I pretend really hard!" Lol. As long as I get my 200 protein and can keep my energy high I'm down to try anything. What were you thinking
Basically half way through my prep or something like that my coach will have lower my calories on regular days (day I’m now at 2600 calories he will lower that amount to 2300 (just an exemple) and will give me 1-2 high day a week of 3600-3800. So your regular days are lower than they would be on a 7 days regular diet but you have higher days. Keeps me fuller, easier mentally and somehow helps me not stall my metabolism. That was a pretty noobie way to explain it but you get the idea !

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Also I have a few random pics I snapped all in
Basically half way through my prep or something like that my coach will have lower my calories on regular days (day I’m now at 2600 calories he will lower that amount to 2300 (just an exemple) and will give me 1-2 high day a week of 3600-3800. So your regular days are lower than they would be on a 7 days regular diet but you have higher days. Keeps me fuller, easier mentally and somehow helps me not stall my metabolism. That was a pretty noobie way to explain it but you get the idea !
I do get it, I've done something kinda similar in the past where I ate 2500 6 days a week and 3500 on Sundays. Obviously that a little different but I get what your saying. Should my total weekly calories average out? So say I was eating 3000 a day, that's 21,000 a week. Would I want my low and high days combined to come out to 21000 or roughly like that? I do have days at work that are very demanding and it can kill my appetite, I also have days where I don't have much going on and my hunger is super high. I could very easily do high and low days based on that alone. If you remember I recently dropped my calories and carbs low for a week just to feel better about a 6000 cal cheat day which was based around eating 1000 carbs, I actually woke up the day after that weighing less then the day before. Then I continued to maintain that 2 lb weight loss through the following days or however long it's been. That weird calorie swap seemed to send my metabolism back into overdrive

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'm not jacked or ripped but I've taken a few photos in the same spot after the gym the last few weeks and my bodyweight is slowly dropping but my arms and shoulders keep seemingly get bigger. Basically my whole upper body seems to be growing and my lifts are going up despite dropping a few pounds over the past few weeks. Il attach a few pics

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Also I have a few random pics I snapped all in
I do get it, I've done something kinda similar in the past where I ate 2500 6 days a week and 3500 on Sundays. Obviously that a little different but I get what your saying. Should my total weekly calories average out? So say I was eating 3000 a day, that's 21,000 a week. Would I want my low and high days combined to come out to 21000 or roughly like that? I do have days at work that are very demanding and it can kill my appetite, I also have days where I don't have much going on and my hunger is super high. I could very easily do high and low days based on that alone. If you remember I recently dropped my calories and carbs low for a week just to feel better about a 6000 cal cheat day which was based around eating 1000 carbs, I actually woke up the day after that weighing less then the day before. Then I continued to maintain that 2 lb weight loss through the following days or however long it's been. That weird calorie swap seemed to send my metabolism back into overdrive
That’s where I gets tricky depending on the individual... you do want it to end up adding up to the same calories at the end but some people do manage to end up eating a bit more calories that way. For me, my last cut I managed to end up eating about 800 calories more at the end of the week on my low/high days plan compared to a 7 day diet. My low days would just be so hard on me that my body would absolutely annihilate all the food on my high days so my coach ended up giving me a bit more. Also help me keep more strength throughout and actually almost make progress.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah you’re looking good bro. Looking at your forearms I cant see your body fat being really high...
I don't know What my % is nor do I care about the actual numbers. My abs are visible, I got decent definition in most body parts, and veins in the majority of my upper body and in my calves, not so much in the quads tho. I'd like to guess I'm 12-13%

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't know What my % is nor do I care about the actual numbers. My abs are visible, I got decent definition in most body parts, and veins in the majority of my upper body and in my calves, not so much in the quads tho. I'd like to guess I'm 12-13%
Well I’m13.9% right now from a dexa scan and My forearms don’t have any kind of veins like yours do and my 6 pack is meh. I’m assuming you’re 11-12 top

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Well I’m13.9% right now from a dexa scan and My forearms don’t have any kind of veins like yours do and my 6 pack is meh. I’m assuming you’re 11-12 top
I know I said I don't care about the actual numbers but I'd be lying if I said that didn't bring a little smile to my face