Pain near rectum while squatting (serious)

beefjerky

Awards
Every couple of times I do my leg day I get a pain @ my perineum, especially while warming up. It's happened for a couple years now. Well today I was warming up my squats and I felt the onset of pain. Then it got worse than normal but eventually went away. Then as I'm in the shower cleaning off, I find a painful lump near the back of the perineum / almost front of rectum. It's starting to go down in swelling, but what the hell could it be? It's like a hernia or something.

beefjerky

Awards
No, its not a hemorrhoid, or a Perianal hematoma (don't wiki that)

The specific location is the transversus perinei

fritzer

fritzer

Awards
  • Established
get it checked, cause if a doc can remove or help you then you can squat again

fieldt76

Awards
I googled perineal hernia, found a few answers... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perineal_hernia

I had a hernia for a couple of years before it really started to bother me, so it seems like it could be a possibility for you... although mine was Inguinal (abdominal wall just above my junk). You should go to the doctor, my pain got so bad that I passed out a few times.

also, mine could be pushed in and out, so that would make sense from what you said about it seeming like the swelling goes down.

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
... so I went to wikipedia and saw the image for hemorrhoid - I definitely have had one at least twice before and it was almost exactly as the picture. Both times the doctor prescribed some cream (proctosol-HC 2.5%) to help with swelling, itch, and pain. Dr also told me not to strain (push) too hard when I went #2.

The second one in particular was horrid as it flared up when I increased the weight on the leg press and even more when I started squatting on the rack using free weights. After reading "Starting Strength" I learned that I should be "squeezing" the anus during any leg pressing movement. I know it sounds TMI, but I got instant relief after following instructions.

Eventually, with the help of the cream, and the conscious "squeezing" the second flare went away and I can sit comfortably again.

I hope that helps.

StuartGould

Awards
Every couple of times I do my leg day I get a pain @ my perineum, especially while warming up. It's happened for a couple years now. Well today I was warming up my squats and I felt the onset of pain. Then it got worse than normal but eventually went away. Then as I'm in the shower cleaning off, I find a painful lump near the back of the perineum / almost front of rectum. It's starting to go down in swelling, but what the hell could it be? It's like a hernia or

something.
very very unlikely to be a perineal hernia. Usually occur only in those with anus removed as that also involves removing some of the pelvic floor muscles.

Is it right on the anal margin? If so could be a haemorrhoid. Less likely mucosal prolapse.

Pain in that area can also be referred from the spine by compression of the S3 or S4 nerve root but there would be no lump.