Unanswered Over training?

deadliftqueen

deadliftqueen

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Just out of curiosity. I’ve seen ppl training 2 muscles group with 4-5 different workouts. When I train I do about 6-7 per muscle group with 4-5 sets and reps are until nothings in tank is this too much?

stock28

Awards
  • Established
Not if you feel like you’re recovering properly. Everyone is different. If you feel good and are sleeping well then you’re ok. If that changes or your progress goes down, cut back as needed.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Overtraining is an overused term to place limits on us. I have yet to see anyone really “overtraining” in the gym. I know guys who lift extremely hard and with volume, intensity techniques, etc while also working strenuous jobs.

if you feel fine and are progressing than I’d say you’re good. Everyone has different recovery capabilities. Your mind will guide you. Some days I feel like I’m overtraining but I’ll drink a cup of coffee, take my supplements, meditate and turn on some metal. Ends up being an amazing session

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
How is your progress? Are you making progress with each workout?

Ultimately, if you are not making progress with each workout there are only two possible reasons- either you are NOT stimulating muscle growth with your training sessions or you are over training.

Some people can tolerate more work than others, but everyone has a limit and most of us would be shocked at how little we can tolerate if we are actually working hard.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Guys above are absolutely correct. Most folks that claim they're overtraining aren't eating well, skimping on sleep, or both. It seems so cliche, but progress really is about what you do out of the gym, not just inside the gym.

Back in my 20s, I trained 6 days a week. I put on muscle and got strong really quickly, but then things grinded to a halt. I'll never forget I took off about two months one summer and worked on a ranch in Kansas. We worked hard, lots of tough physical labor, but we also went to be early as there was nothing to do at night. Probably slept 9 hours a night there, and ate like a hoss. I came back so much stronger! And within a week or two, my physique springboarded and I was way more jacked and striated than before that stint at the ranch.

Morale of the story is its case-by-case, but if you aint busting ass in the gym and eatng and sleeping then you wont see gainz.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Guys above are absolutely correct. Most folks that claim they're overtraining aren't eating well, skimping on sleep, or both. It seems so cliche, but progress really is about what you do out of the gym, not just inside the gym.

Back in my 20s, I trained 6 days a week. I put on muscle and got strong really quickly, but then things grinded to a halt. I'll never forget I took off about two months one summer and worked on a ranch in Kansas. We worked hard, lots of tough physical labor, but we also went to be early as there was nothing to do at night. Probably slept 9 hours a night there, and ate like a hoss. I came back so much stronger! And within a week or two, my physique springboarded and I was way more jacked and striated than before that stint at the ranch.

Morale of the story is its case-by-case, but if you aint busting ass in the gym and eatng and sleeping then you wont see gainz.
Sorry, I hope I am not lumped in here - because what I said was the opposite.

Most people who think that most people don't overtrain are not working with truly high intensities.

cstallion

Awards
  • Established
Sorry, I hope I am not lumped in here - because what I said was the opposite.

Most people who think that most people don't overtrain are not working with truly high intensities.
My bad @HIT4ME. I misread your post!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My bad @HIT4ME. I misread your post!
Haha, no issues, just wanted to be clear. I do believe in over training. I mean, look at my avatar!

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
When I was younger I used to walk an hour to the gym (it was the closest one to me), workout for an hour and a half, and walk an hour back home and then go to work/school.

Now I moan just going downstairs to take out the trash. It's all age dependent when it comes to training. Younger = large fuel tank, older = choked up/gunked up fuel tank.

Studhorse

Studhorse

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Do you log your lifts?
I don't call it over training. I call it diminishing returns. and time to take some time off.
Log you lifts: If the reps start to decline (with the same weight for a few days) and there are not environmental factors to consider (IE: Diet / Sleep / Stress/ect.) then it's time to de-condition. I prefer 9-10 days.
During your break time design a new program and log it and repeat.
Im 56 so this usually hits me in 6-8 weeks. When I started logging back in my 30's I could get up to 12 weeks sometimes before the declines set in.
You should always increase a rep or weight every workout.