Over-The-Counter Pain Killers Increase Muscle Mass

small_guy

Awards
  • Established
Over-The-Counter Pain Killers Increase Muscle Mass

Taking daily recommended dosages of ibuprofen and acetaminophen caused a substantially greater increase over placebo in the amount of quadriceps muscle mass and muscle strength gained during three months of regular weight lifting, in a study by physiologists at the Human Performance Laboratory, Ball State University.

Thirty-six men and women, between 60 and 78 years of age (average age 65), were randomly assigned to daily dosages of either ibuprofen (such as that in Advil), acetaminophen (such as that in Tylenol), or a placebo. The dosages were identical to those recommended by the manufacturers and were selected to most closely mimic what chronic users of these medicines were likely to be taking. Neither the volunteers nor the scientists knew who was receiving which treatment until the end of the study.

All subjects participated in three months of weight training, 15-20 minute sessions conducted in the Human Performance Laboratory three times per week. The researchers knew from their own and other studies that training at this intensity and for this time period would significantly increase muscle mass and strength. They expected the placebo group to show such increases, as its members did, but they were surprised to find that the groups using either ibuprofen or acetaminophen did even better.

An earlier study from the laboratory, measuring muscle metabolism (or more precisely, muscle protein synthesis, the mechanism through which new protein is added to muscle), had looked at changes over a 24 hour period. This "acute" study found that both ibuprofen and acetaminophen had a negative impact, by blocking a specific enzyme cyclooxygenase, commonly referred to as COX.

But that study looked at only one day. Over three months, says Dr. Trappe, the chronic consumption of ibuprofen or acetaminophen during resistance training appears to have induced intramuscular changes that enhance the metabolic response to resistance exercise, allowing the body to add substantially more new protein to muscle.

The amount of change was measured in quadricep muscles using Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), the gold standard for determining muscle mass. The researchers now are conducting assays of muscle biopsies taken before and after the three-month period of resistance training, in order to understand the metabolic mechanism of the positive effects of ibuprofen and acetaminophen.

One of the foci of Ball State's Human Performance Laboratory is the adaptation of the elderly to exercise. Another is the loss of muscle mass that takes place when astronauts are exposed to long-term weightlessness. This work has implications for both groups, says Dr. Trappe.

*This presentation was part of the scientific program of the American Physiological Society (APS). In addition to Dr. Carroll and Dr. Trappe, co-authors of the Experimental Biology presentation are Jared Dickinson, Jennifer Lemoine, Jacob Haus, and Eileen Weinheimer, graduate students working with Dr. Trappe, and study physician Dr. Christopher Hollon.
Funding for the research came from the National Institutes of Health and a postdoctoral initiative award from APS.

Adapted from materials provided by Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology, via EurekAlert!, a service of AAAS.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmmm.....Interesting indeed. I've read numerous studies that contradict this though. However, this study was completed over a much longer time frame. Good find!

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Look how old they were! They needed the damn OTC to combat the pain to go to the gym and work out with more intensity :)

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
Look how old they were! They needed the damn OTC to combat the pain to go to the gym and work out with more intensity :)
Lol, x2! Also, they will need liver supplementation after they take acetaminophen for long periods of time.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
Actually, there was a doctor who refuted this. Ill post some thing up.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
Actually, there was a doctor who refuted this. Ill post some thing up.
No, acetaminophen causes liver stress. Period. Every pharmacist I have ever worked with is not wrong, I am sorry. Google acetaminophen and liver stress and see what you find ;)

EDIT: Or are you talking about OTC Pain relievers increasing muscle mass? LOL. If so, I apologize, hahaha.

OpKang101

OpKang101

Awards
No, acetaminophen causes liver stress. Period. Every pharmacist I have ever worked with is not wrong, I am sorry. Google acetaminophen and liver stress and see what you find ;)

EDIT: Or are you talking about OTC Pain relievers increasing muscle mass? LOL. If so, I apologize, hahaha.
LOL i was talking about the aspirin and other NSAID's.

Acetaminophen im pretty sure everyone knows is toxic to the liver. lol.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
hmmmm...i hear alot both ways....

I only take Advil if i need it. usually i only take if for headaches, often casue by to much stim or clen or some other supplement. I never get high blood pressure so its rare i even take that.

I take a OTC muscle relaxer soemtimes at ngiht to help sleep. That and some Melatonin and GABA makes for a very relaxing sleep.

daniel35

daniel35

Awards
  • Established
From my personal experience, this is the furthest thing from the truth. I used to use advil alot and couldn't gain strength/size at all, I knew instinctively it was the culprit, and now only use it very occasionally when all else fails for pain.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol, x2! Also, they will need liver supplementation after they take acetaminophen for long periods of time.
the medical community should be ashamed of pushing tylenol off on the public as safe and effective. drink a six pack, and take 2 tylenol the next morning and you have probably done more liver damage than most ph cycles. btw just for general information, i would suggest not taking tylenol or any form of acetaminophen while on cycle.

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the medical community should be ashamed of pushing tylenol off on the public as safe and effective. drink a six pack, and take 2 tylenol the next morning and you have probably done more liver damage than most ph cycles. btw just for general information, i would suggest not taking tylenol or any form of acetaminophen while on cycle.
You're not kidding T. I actually also amazed that diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is also otc and so easily available. I educate ALL my patients that are given narcotics with tylenol as an adjunct. Many people don't realize, but percocet, lortab, vicodin often have a 325mg or 500mg acetaminophen component to it. Overdosing can become quite easy is people aren't aware of that factor.

I'd say 8 out of 10 people are typically unaware of that fact.

I couldn't agree more that taking acetaminophen on cycle is down right dangerous. It's important that people understand important facts like this. I made sure to make it a point in my Havoc write-up to include a section on Nsaids/Acetaminophen use while explaining the potential dangers involved.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Absolutely! Can even be acutely toxic short-term. The effects are cumulative. I won't touch the compound!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You're not kidding T. I actually also amazed that diphenhydramine (Benadryl) is also otc and so easily available. I educate ALL my patients that are given narcotics with tylenol as an adjunct. Many people don't realize, but percocet, lortab, vicodin often have a 325mg or 500mg acetaminophen component to it. Overdosing can become quite easy is people aren't aware of that factor.

I'd say 8 out of 10 people are typically unaware of that fact.

I couldn't agree more that taking acetaminophen on cycle is down right dangerous. It's important that people understand important facts like this. I made sure to make it a point in my Havoc write-up to include a section on Nsaids/Acetaminophen use while explaining the potential dangers involved.
i knew you would be on top of this t-1. i know a lot of younger people think it is cool to take vicodin and drink alcohol, without even knowing danger of the acetaminophen, or that it's even in it.:thumbsup:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i knew you would be on top of this t-1. i know a lot of younger people think it is cool to take vicodin and drink alcohol, without even knowing danger of the acetaminophen, or that it's even in it.:thumbsup:
Yes sir, being the patient advocate is a role i do take seriously. :)

While it's been researched and stated that 4 grams/day of tylenol (acetaminophen) is the limit for effective hepatic metabolism (In an adult that is), i wouldn't come anywhere near that.

That's a good point too that people also don't take into account other factors that can further contribute to a potentially devestating effect overall such as, concurrent hepatic issues (Hepatitis A,B,C), Liver cirrhosis, chronic alcohol consumption, and polypharmacy issues (multiple medications.)

snowflake

snowflake

Awards
I read many studies idicating that too much of any pain killer can lead to many serious side effects. It is not something new, here is some.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol and many other over-the-counter and prescription painkillers and fever reducers. Because acetaminophen is so widely used, many mistakenly believe it to be completely harmless. However, it is estimated that acetaminophen poisoning results in 56,000 injuries, 25,000 hospitalizations, and 450 deaths every year. Medical professionals have concluded that long-term use, or large doses of the drug can damage the liver, leading to liver failure or even death.

Dangerous Side Effects

Serious acetaminophen side effects pose a much greater risk than many consumers realize. In some cases, an individual may experience an acetaminophen side effect and attribute it to some other cause. Sadly, some users even suffer liver failure due to acetaminophen use without their ever knowing.

Some of the more severe acetaminophen side effects include:

Acute liver toxicity
Allergic reactions including swelling, difficulty breathing, closing of throat, and more
Abdominal pain
Nausea
Unusual bleeding or bruising
Death

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I read many studies idicating that too much of any pain killer can lead to many serious side effects. It is not something new, here is some.

Acetaminophen is the active ingredient in Tylenol and many other over-the-counter and prescription painkillers and fever reducers. Because acetaminophen is so widely used, many mistakenly believe it to be completely harmless. However, it is estimated that acetaminophen poisoning results in 56,000 injuries, 25,000 hospitalizations, and 450 deaths every year. Medical professionals have concluded that long-term use, or large doses of the drug can damage the liver, leading to liver failure or even death.

Dangerous Side Effects

Serious acetaminophen side effects pose a much greater risk than many consumers realize. In some cases, an individual may experience an acetaminophen side effect and attribute it to some other cause. Sadly, some users even suffer liver failure due to acetaminophen use without their ever knowing.

Some of the more severe acetaminophen side effects include:

Acute liver toxicity
Allergic reactions including swelling, difficulty breathing, closing of throat, and more
Abdominal pain
Nausea
Unusual bleeding or bruising
Death
have you seen the tv ad where the woman representing tylenol, tells us that it is so safe more hospitals use it over any other. on a forum where we are so concerned about liver damage from supps and ph's, a otc medicine the medical association is touting as safe may be more harmful. it's a disgrace, i know there are people like t-1 putting the word out, but there aren't enough t-1's to get the job done.

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
You're preaching to the quior here. I work in a pharmacy everyday and our pharmacists ALWAYS recommend Ibuprofen over tylenol. If the patient is complaining of pain, but no inflammation, then they recommend advil. I agree, tylenol on cycle is a terrible idea. The same situation goes for doctors who prescribe oxycontin, lortab, etc, for pain. They should also be prescribing a liver aid for the liver damage that the medication induces. Aside from just the narcotic pain reliever, it(lortab) also has acetaminophen in it. Liver damage times 2 :)

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally feel that acetaminophen is an absolute sh*t drug outside its effect of being a good antipyretic (Fever Reducer). I've NEVER received an significant benefits from it in being pain reducer through its documented ability to increase the pain threshold within the CNS (Central Nervous System.)

While COX inhibitors have their issues as well, they are more effective and less of a risk imo. Ibuprofen/Naproxen Sodium FTW!

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I personally feel that acetaminophen is an absolute sh*t drug outside its effect of being a good antipyretic (Fever Reducer). I've NEVER received an significant benefits from it in being pain reducer through its documented ability to increase the pain threshold within the CNS (Central Nervous System.)

While COX inhibitors have their issues as well, they are more effective and less of a risk imo. Ibuprofen/Naproxen Sodium FTW!
x2!! The time I have a problem with Naproxen is when I forget to eat something before I take it. If I don't take it with food, it messes with my stomach hardcore. Other than that, it's all gravy.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
I knew this stuff was toxic but I didnt realize that it was as toxic as you guys are talking about. Very interesting. Makes me wonder what happened to my friends liver when he drank about half a bottle (small bottle) of codeine (i dont know if i spelled that right) and then went out and got **** hammered. He was incredibly drunk, but I would have loved to have seen a blood profile...

bassgod272

Awards
  • Established
I knew this stuff was toxic but I didnt realize that it was as toxic as you guys are talking about. Very interesting. Makes me wonder what happened to my friends liver when he drank about half a bottle (small bottle) of codeine (i dont know if i spelled that right) and then went out and got **** hammered. He was incredibly drunk, but I would have loved to have seen a blood profile...
He was drunk and also high on a narcotic ;) He was feeling great i'm sure, lol. His liver was probably saying "STOP! YOU FCKN IDIOT!" :lol: