Out of protein what about eggs?

Vulcanus

Vulcanus

Awards
I know this sounds like I'm an amateur but I have been very spoiled and have had a constant supply of protein for the last year n half but I'm pretty much out now and wont be able to get more until a few weeks. I just started a new training program I'm looking to bulk here and was wondering if I went old school and I wanted to see if this is worth a try
The Vince Gironda Egg Shake
which is..
Cream (half and half)
12 eggs (raw)
Water and Ice
Pure protein powder (quality whey/or milk and egg) - the powder is mainly for flavor.

*Again since I will be out of protein that last part wont be added in. I'll probably add 4 tablespoons of peanut butter instead.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Protein is $10 per pound. You don't need hydrolized or anything fancy if your digestive system is fine.

Concentrated Whey works.

That said.
Eggs are a great deal more than just protein. Protein powder is a good supplement to insure you can get your daily intake.

I used to put 6 raw eggs in a glass of orange juice and whip them up.

The acids break the egg down and make it a really tasty orange Julius. Loved it. May do it again and it helps with concerns of raw eggs.

By the way. I love eggs. I eat them every day with gluten free while grain bread.

Eggs are great!

http://derekthewolf.com/raw-eggs-vs-protein-powder/

enraged_chris

Awards
Eggs are a great source of protein, fatty acids (if you get omega3/free range) and micronutrients such as choline and other phospholipids. One of my favorite nutrition sources.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
eggs >>>>>> any powder.... they just have more of everything good

/thread

7eman7

7eman7

Awards
  • Established
Eggs, milk, and all dairy products in general are some of the best protein sources as they contain high levels of leucine

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
From a nutritional standpoint, I would choose eggs over powder every single time. There's no debating their supremacy.

They need to be lightly cooked to get their full bioavailability (raw is like ~60% available if I recall), but if you're bulking you only need 1g/KILOGRAM of bodyweight in a surplus. That's 100 grams in a 220 man, so you will blast past that likely from the sheer quantity of nutrition you'll be ingesting, even drinking them raw.

If you eat more calories than you need from whole foods, you're gonna gain muscle (and fat).

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Cook and eat the eggs,
Win

Just as good or better once you factor in the micros!

enraged_chris

Awards
Cook and eat the eggs,
Win

Just as good or better once you factor in the micros!
Eating lots of raw eggs whites (with or without yolks) can also lead to biotin deficiency because of avidin content. Lightly cooking eggs is a lot better. If you are gonna do raw... do egg yolks only.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
^Yes sir, No reason to do raw IMO

not like it tastes better lol. Really takes no time to cook eggs.

enraged_chris

Awards
Raw egg yolks in a shake though make it creamy as hell. That's a solid use. Or it can be used to make some delicious dressings and sauces.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Raw egg yolks in a shake though make it creamy as hell. That's a solid use. Or it can be used to make some delicious dressings and sauces.
Used to add a couple raw eggs blended into a chocolate whey shake, tasted like chocolate custard. But then I read the human studies on the raw vs cooked and stopped the deliciousness

Egg whites in a carton are pasteurized, and thus way safer and more bioavailable, but for the price I'd rather use whey powder if I'm not cooking. And a dozen eggs is $0.37 right now at Aldi in the middle of IL.

enraged_chris

Awards
Chuck out the white and save for cooking and use the raw yolk in shakes. Raw yolks are great.

Vulcanus

Vulcanus

Awards
Great thanks everyone I'll keep everybody posted on how your advice is working!