Optimum Nutrition Whey Bad Batch

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys
Think I came across a bad batch of vanilla ON whey. It tasted awful. Luckily Vitamin Shoppe did a 100% even swap out for PES at my request.
The batch date was April 18 vanilla ice cream.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
you got a hell of deal swapping that crap for select ha.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Excited to try it. I’ve used On forever. What do you think is the best whey near ONs price point?
literally almost anything on the market is better than plain ON whey... both from a profile AND flavor perspective. they have some of the weakest flavoring and its only a basic whey (vs a blend). And if you shop online, 99% of brands will be cheaper than ON too

PES, MSI, MTS, MyProtein, Cellucor, etc are all way better

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
literally almost anything on the market is better than plain ON whey... both from a profile AND flavor perspective. they have some of the weakest flavoring and its only a basic whey (vs a blend). And if you shop online, 99% of brands will be cheaper than ON too

PES, MSI, MTS, MyProtein, Cellucor, etc are all way better
Facts. I would buy almost any brand over ON at this point. The consistency is awful, and the taste isn't good either IMO. If you want just whey, MyProtein wins the price battle. PES and Quest win the consistency/flavor award for me, but you pay for it lol

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Why is on bad from profile? If you want 100% whey, isn’t it a good deal. You are getting whey isolates...

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hi guys
Think I came across a bad batch of vanilla ON whey. It tasted awful. Luckily Vitamin Shoppe did a 100% even swap out for PES at my request.
The batch date was April 18 vanilla ice cream.
Sounds like a normal batch to me

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Why is on bad from profile? If you want 100% whey, isn’t it a good deal. You are getting whey isolates...
its just a plain whey and for that price its an atrocious value. blends are far superior (unless looking for an isolate only for some specific reason) and the price per serving for ON is usually almost double most other brands. sometimes more.

Ot2000

Awards
  • First Up Vote
ON tastes like bland ****. I haven’t bought a tub since the 90’s? Sounds about right

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You've been on the forums for three years and never had Select before?
Never! ON was always my go to. I’ve had Syntha 6, which tastes great but macros blow. I’ve had combat very early on, but didn’t really like that.

I just had 3 servings of cream of wheat post workout with a scoop of select mixed in. Normally I put sugar in with the ON which limits the amount of cream of wheat I can have. With Select there is no need, 1 scoop flavored it perfectly!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never! ON was always my go to. I’ve had Syntha 6, which tastes great but macros blow. I’ve had combat very early on, but didn’t really like that.

I just had 3 servings of cream of wheat post workout with a scoop of select mixed in. Normally I put sugar in with the ON which limits the amount of cream of wheat I can have. With Select there is no need, 1 scoop flavored it perfectly!
Gotta stock up when they have an insider sale next time

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
PES Select is amazing protein as is USPLabs. Give them a try too. I've got a new tub just recently in the mail.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Forgot I posted this a while ago. This should help you out:

If cost is not an issue:
XF 2.0 (LCP, Cinnamon Roll, Mocha, Chocoalte Mint)
MSI Lean Whey (Lean Charms, Oatmeal Cookie etc...)
Ghost Whey
Beverly UMP (CNC is amazing)
Metabolic Nutrition (PB Cookie is GOAT)

A little costly but not breaking the bank:
MTS (Pumpkin, Red Velvet, PB CnC, CnC, Triple Aussie Biscuit)
Nutrabio
Iforce Protean (Blueberry & RV)

Cost Effective:
Dymatize Whey (Choc PB, Choc Cake Batter, Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Fudge)
Cellucor (Cinn Swirl, Choc PB, Molten Chocolate)
PES (Vanilla, WCM, PB Cookie, SnickerDoodle)
Animal Whey (Banana, Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream)
Rule 1 (Banana, Fudge Brownie, Red Velvet, Pumpkin)
USP Labs

Isolate:
MAN Sports Iso (All the flavors are great I have tried)
Dymatize Iso-100 (Birthday Cake, Orange Cream, PB, Choc PB)
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)
Gaspari Precision (Blueberry, Neo, CTC)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/299137-best-protein-currently.html

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
my god man... its like we've opened your eyes to a whole world of proteins with flavor, macros, and actually reasonable prices!

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Holy crap PES SELECT!!!! Snickerdoodle.
Tastes amazing
I am glad you like Select.

Shoot me a message with your address and I will send you some samples of the other flavours. :)

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am glad you like Select.

Shoot me a message with your address and I will send you some samples of the other flavours. :)
On waste best tasting in2000 lol

Im sure you will like. Select great prpduct

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Forgot I posted this a while ago. This should help you out:

If cost is not an issue:
XF 2.0 (LCP, Cinnamon Roll, Mocha, Chocoalte Mint)
MSI Lean Whey (Lean Charms, Oatmeal Cookie etc...)
Ghost Whey
Beverly UMP (CNC is amazing)
Metabolic Nutrition (PB Cookie is GOAT)

A little costly but not breaking the bank:
MTS (Pumpkin, Red Velvet, PB CnC, CnC, Triple Aussie Biscuit)
Nutrabio
Iforce Protean (Blueberry & RV)

Cost Effective:
Dymatize Whey (Choc PB, Choc Cake Batter, Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Fudge)
Cellucor (Cinn Swirl, Choc PB, Molten Chocolate)
PES (Vanilla, WCM, PB Cookie, SnickerDoodle)
Animal Whey (Banana, Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream)
Rule 1 (Banana, Fudge Brownie, Red Velvet, Pumpkin)
USP Labs

Isolate:
MAN Sports Iso (All the flavors are great I have tried)
Dymatize Iso-100 (Birthday Cake, Orange Cream, PB, Choc PB)
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)
Gaspari Precision (Blueberry, Neo, CTC)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/299137-best-protein-currently.html
Awesome listing. Thank you very much!

Rockzilla

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to be big on those 74 ON whey serving containers, but I pushed out a bit more money for some better protein, nearly couldn’t drink it when I went back to ON chocolate.

Right now I got a tub of ghost peanut butter cereal milk. It is effing ridiculous. It literally tastes like peanut butter cereal milk. Exactly what you have in mind and exactly what you taste when you drink the milk after Reece’s puffs cereal, maybe better. The is the most spot on flavor I have ever tried.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ON is one of the only companies that have total control of their protein production. From the cows too the bottling. So they are a great protein source. But like stated they are more on the mild side of flavoring and that’s what many people like.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Solution gave a nice list of protein options. i'm going to copy and save that haha

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The flavoring is weak in ON whey but I still think it's a decent protein, but it is not 100% isolate though unless you get specific isolate, its usually a blend of concentrate and isolate

however I would stick with that over a blend protein product

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to be big on those 74 ON whey serving containers, but I pushed out a bit more money for some better protein, nearly couldn’t drink it when I went back to ON chocolate.

Right now I got a tub of ghost peanut butter cereal milk. It is effing ridiculous. It literally tastes like peanut butter cereal milk. Exactly what you have in mind and exactly what you taste when you drink the milk after Reece’s puffs cereal, maybe better. The is the most spot on flavor I have ever tried.
Sounds amazing. Mix it up and pour on to Reece’s puff cereal. You just made your macros!

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
ON is one of the only companies that have total control of their protein production. From the cows too the bottling. So they are a great protein source. But like stated they are more on the mild side of flavoring and that’s what many people like.
Yeah I was thinking that their nutrients were good. Flavor was blah.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If nobody tried it yet. PES snickerdoodle mixed with cream of wheat! Awesome

kelvarnsen

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how ON hasn't updated their flavoring system after all this time

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just going to the american dairy products website and searching for whey suppliers will boggle the average supp users mind, lol. There are at least 23 whey producers in the us alone. Odds are high that the favorite brands of protein come from one of them - and thats not even any over-seas suppliers like fonterra, etc... ON (glanbia), like you said is one "cow to container" supplier, i think universal is too.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This. In terms of quality, ON is probably one of the best. They have fair pricing and the macros are good, but flavoring is weak, non existent and sometimes even bad.

With all of the reputable companies that produce high quality protein powders that taste good, there is no reason to stick with ON. It's not like in the late 90's/early 00's where there were only a handful of companies that produced protein. There are many to choose from now.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't know how ON hasn't updated their flavoring system after all this time
I honestly think I got a bad batch. I normally like their vanilla ice cream mixed with almond milk, in a smoothie or with my cream of wheat... but yeah their flavor not nearly as good as others

DaeshDontSurf

DaeshDontSurf

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I honestly think I got a bad batch. I normally like their vanilla ice cream mixed with almond milk, in a smoothie or with my cream of wheat... but yeah their flavor not nearly as good as others
i haven't had ON in a looooooong time - but flavoring/sweetness varies with the amount of chemicals/ingredients. The more "natural" the protein is, the worse it tastes (comparatively) usually. A "chocolate" that is just protein, cocoa, stevia, and whatever emulsifier (usually lecithin) - isn't going to taste "as good" (subjective) as one that has 37 ingredients. But flavoring is a science - so not saying all good tasting stuff is loaded with tons of extras. I know of certain flavors of 4 ingredient proteins that taste out of this world.

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Well, if you have used that flavor in the past, and it does taste different, then you could be right. Should have contacted them with the lot number to find out.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Took it back to Vitamin Shoppe. It tastes like there is no way that was a flavor change. Haha. If it was a flavor change they will be out of business by end of month.