muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having a window of consumption: good.

Eating actually only one large meal per day: not so good. In fact probably bad. It was for me. Very.

That is all.
I agree. IF is usually a window of at least a few hours, allowing multiple meals. Sitting at the table only once a day is sort of silly and very limiting.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree. IF is usually a window of at least a few hours, allowing multiple meals. Sitting at the table only once a day is sort of silly and very limiting.
[video=youtube;aEv3n44vPVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEv3n44vPVQ[/video]

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I admit that the vid is silly. On top its pushing a supplement at the end.
On the other hand, it mentions some studies worth looking into.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
[video=youtube;aEv3n44vPVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEv3n44vPVQ[/video]
Anecdotes do not the rule make. Not ALL the best athletes eat one meal a day. Many don’t. Not to mention that they’re not all concerned with maximizing muscle growth either. Do you want me to cite the studies?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you can do one meal, good for you. But it’s far from the definitive best way, and very limiting for most people, especially ones trying to maximize muscle growth.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Anecdotes do not the rule make. Not ALL the best athletes eat one meal a day. Many don’t. Not to mention that they’re not all concerned with maximizing muscle growth either. Do you want me to cite the studies?
Yes please :). You need something to do. In the meanwhile, I gonna train and grow some muscles. When I'm back I wanna see all the studies to press the like button. :)

Muhahaha!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes please :). You need something to do. In the meanwhile, I gonna train and grow some muscles. When I'm back I wanna see all the studies to press the like button.

Muhahaha!
So my studies will show that IF in general is suboptimal for building muscle. It’s not specific to one meal IF, but one meal IF solid be even less optimal for building muscle as you’re stimulating MPS even less often.

Any diet can be effective for most any goal, and many elite athletes aren’t concerned with optimizing muscle growth, so it’s not as relevant really.

IF has real benefits for fat loss and health, but it’s just not optimal for gaining muscle. If you can manage to do one meal, cool, but a window is much more feasible for the average person IMO.

I overspoke when I said it’s silly, but I still maintain it’s limiting. Top athletes do silly things all the time, and succeed in spite of them, not because of them. Go read Brady’s nutrition garbage lol.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Having a window of consumption: good.

Eating actually only one large meal per day: not so good. In fact probably bad. It was for me. Very.

That is all.
You know, if you came with this to begin with we all would have agreed or at minimum, listened to your take on it. You had a poor experience and it's easy to see why you may feel the way you do. But, that does not make it bad, unhealthy, metabolism affecting, etc. It is simply a different way to consume calories, that works for some, but not you.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So my studies will show that IF in general is suboptimal for building muscle. It’s not specific to one meal IF, but one meal IF solid be even less optimal for building muscle as you’re stimulating MPS even less often.

Any diet can be effective for most any goal, and many elite athletes aren’t concerned with optimizing muscle growth, so it’s not as relevant really.

IF has real benefits for fat loss and health, but it’s just not optimal for gaining muscle. If you can manage to do one meal, cool, but a window is much more feasible for the average person IMO.

I overspoke when I said it’s silly, but I still maintain it’s limiting. Top athletes do silly things all the time, and succeed in spite of them, not because of them. Go read Brady’s nutrition garbage lol.
I agree with all of this. To be honest, I don't know how any of it could be argued. Lol

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You have to be more committed. Show me the studies. :)

-Nah, don't....

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Akchewally I have 12 case studies that say otherwise....

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry, it’s a Reddit joke that went flat here.
Dude, you should have just kept that going. I wanted to see muscleup go off on it all again!

Jk muscle

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Man I think most people in IF are trying to lose weight (cut). This argument is so silly lol

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Man I think most people in IF are trying to lose weight (cut). This argument is so silly lol
The point was that someone said IF (not just one meal a day) is a bad idea compared to eating many small meals. This is not true for cutting. I explained the effects of IF, which also included the negatives, that way people have the full picture.

bigbeaph

bigbeaph

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Might be a better question for a dif thread but.... what are the parameters hourly for IF. As in What's the minimum window your supposed to fast? The 1 study I saw showed the benefits of fasting for days and days at a time and just claimed that fasting for say 20 hrs a day has the same benefits. Clearly not showing any link....I highly doubt fasting for 5 days vs. 20 hrs will provide the same benefits. I didnt pursue it too far and I must have missed out on some legit data.....really just curious of the hours fasting needed each day for these claims though if any of you know it off the top

bobi593

bobi593

Awards
  • Established
I lived off one meal a day for the past decade, I know exactly what medical conditions it caused. Because that’s exactly what my doctor attributes them to. But hey... you do you.
medical conditions caused by one meal a day ? can you elaborate please ? if this is not too personal of course

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Might be a better question for a dif thread but.... what are the parameters hourly for IF. As in What's the minimum window your supposed to fast? The 1 study I saw showed the benefits of fasting for days and days at a time and just claimed that fasting for say 20 hrs a day has the same benefits. Clearly not showing any link....I highly doubt fasting for 5 days vs. 20 hrs will provide the same benefits. I didnt pursue it too far and I must have missed out on some legit data.....really just curious of the hours fasting needed each day for these claims though if any of you know it off the top
This position stand talks a good bit about IF. It’s primarily focused on its effects on body composition, but maybe you can combine it with other studies to find a good compromise of fasting benefits and body composition effects? It may only discuss up to 24 hour fasts though.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5470183/

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
Kinda confused how this shifted from Old Witch saying 1 meal IF isn’t great for you and bad for metabolism to IF is good for a cut and not optimal for gaining muscle. The latter is pretty widely accepted. It was the former stance that got people all up in arms. And OP said he doesn’t care about losing some muscle and just wanted to shed fat. Plus he’ll be using gear. 1 meal a day for his goals will be absolutely fine.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Kinda confused how this shifted from Old Witch saying 1 meal IF isn’t great for you and bad for metabolism to IF is good for a cut and not optimal for gaining muscle. The latter is pretty widely accepted. It was the former stance that got people all up in arms. And OP said he doesn’t care about losing some muscle and just wanted to shed fat. Plus he’ll be using gear. 1 meal a day for his goals will be absolutely fine.
One meal, as in sitting down at the table once, can be hard for people. A window a at least a few hours would be much easier, and provide essentially the same benefits, if not more. It may be rather difficult to get sufficient/optimal protein intake on gear from a single meal/sitting, since you want even more protein than normal when you’re on gear. He may not care about losing muscle, but it’s stupid to run gear and accept or plan on losing muscle unless you’re cutting for a bodybuilding competition or something IMO.

Bagofturdwind

Bagofturdwind

Awards
  • Established
One meal, as in sitting down at the table once, can be hard for people. A window a at least a few hours would be much easier, and provide essentially the same benefits, if not more. It may be rather difficult to get sufficient/optimal protein intake on gear from a single meal/sitting, since you want even more protein than normal when you’re on gear. He may not care about losing muscle, but it’s stupid to run gear and accept or plan on losing muscle unless you’re cutting for a bodybuilding competition or something IMO.
Oh I agree it’s stupid bc he’ll prob be hangry at random times and not make the most of his gear run. But that’s all on him, not us. If he truly doesn’t care about losing muscle and just wants to eat once a day, he’ll most likely lose fat. And while it’s prob stupid to do this while on test or tren, if we can ignore that aspect, the 1 meal a day IF isn’t going to mess up his metabolism or make him wildly unhealthy. That was the part I was mainly disagreeing with.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Oh I agree it’s stupid bc he’ll prob be hangry at random times and not make the most of his gear run. But that’s all on him, not us. If he truly doesn’t care about losing muscle and just wants to eat once a day, he’ll most likely lose fat. And while it’s prob stupid to do this while on test or tren, if we can ignore that aspect, the 1 meal a day IF isn’t going to mess up his metabolism or make him wildly unhealthy. That was the part I was mainly disagreeing with.
No, it won’t make him unhealthy unless he finds himself in a massive caloric deficit if he can’t manage to eat enough in one sitting to cut properly. But legitimate health issues? No, that is silly. I agree. I also think that we should tell him that his plan is not smart, which we now have, but if he’s insistent on doing it, that’s on him, of course. But he can cut while losing muscle without gear haha. And be healthier if we’re talking about health now. ;)

bradleyt1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Old witch I’m sorry but this is simply not true. At all. I have no idea where you’re getting this information from.
Yes I don’t agree with old witch either. I too was brainwashed into this thinking because when I was competing all these 80s bodybuilders had all these theories about 6 tiny meals. Honestly I’m not saying to enforce yourself at each meal but I like to eat enough to be satiated and then eat again about 4 hours later. I found a happy medium. Every 2.5 hours literally leaves you not having a life having to worry about the next meal and I found 4 hours to be great for me.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yes I don’t agree with old witch either. I too was brainwashed into this thinking because when I was competing all these 80s bodybuilders had all these theories about 6 tiny meals. Honestly I’m not saying to enforce yourself at each meal but I like to eat enough to be satiated and then eat again about 4 hours later. I found a happy medium. Every 2.5 hours literally leaves you not having a life having to worry about the next meal and I found 4 hours to be great for me.
Every 4 hours is great. Modern research recommends 3-4 hours.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah the whole metabolism slowing down from not eating is definitely not a thing. I’m pretty sure there’s a study floating around showing that alternate day fasting compared to calorie reduction showed similar weight loss but better maintenance of lean mass. I’d have to double check to be sure though.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah the whole metabolism slowing down from not eating is definitely not a thing. I’m pretty sure there’s a study floating around showing that alternate day fasting compared to calorie reduction showed similar weight loss but better maintenance of lean mass. I’d have to double check to be sure though.
I didn’t read this whole thread but I wanted to say I agree with this. The whole idea that eating more often increases metabolism is bro science.

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I personally make my biggest meal my first meal of the day and taper off to smaller meals throughout the day. I stop eating around 3 hours before bedtime

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally make my biggest meal my first meal of the day and taper off to smaller meals throughout the day. I stop eating around 3 hours before bedtime
How long after waking up do you eat? A lot of people find it hard to eat huge breakfasts. Unless you’re cutting and it’s not a huge meal, just bigger than the others?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you can get your calorie and protein requirement in 1 meal, good for you. I think you would lose more BF that way, and if you are intense in the gym, you would probably be producing ketones daily, but not during meal time. Since you are on gear, you will have heightened protein synthesis anyways, wont need as many protein feedings to signal that since you are on anabolics.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long after waking up do you eat? A lot of people find it hard to eat huge breakfasts. Unless you’re cutting and it’s not a huge meal, just bigger than the others?
My breakfast is around 1100 calories and over 60g of protein. And it is very difficult to get down personally.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I never said anything about six tiny meals, but you much like many women have twisted my words into your own.

I’m sick of the people around here. This is ridiculous at this point.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
OMAD is a fad. A trend. A flavor of the month.

Not particularly effective, not smart, not healthy.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I never said anything about six tiny meals, but you much like many women have twisted my words into your own.

I’m sick of the people around here. This is ridiculous at this point.
If we’re being incredibly anal, you didn’t technically say “six” or “tiny,” but you did say “several” and “extremely small.” And you emphasized the extremely small part in an extra sentence.
Try several extremely small meals through the day. And I mean extremely small. Larger meals aid in a nice big gut and visceral fat, bloating etc, even on lower calories. The more volume, the more gut.
Are tiny and extremely small not synonymous?

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If we’re being incredibly anal, you didn’t technically say “six” or “tiny,” but you did say “several” and “extremely small.” And you emphasized the extremely small part in an extra sentence.

Are tiny and extremely small not synonymous?
Fair enough, however the number of meals is entirely up to you, what you absolutely don’t want to do is wait after waking for some hours before eating, and so my suggestion of several meals forces a morning meal.

And I did get my own message a bit twisted, or somebody did. The small meals are in reference to shrinking the stretched out digestive organs. Or avoiding stretching them out in the first place (much better idea) not simply talking about “here’s how you cut”

That coming from a place of being a caveat that I myself did one meal a day for most of my 20s and now am paying a rather permanent price for it. Now having to live to reverse it. And giving the same exact advice my DOCTOR gave which is working well.

Those infant sized poops HGP mentioned are just the tip of the shxtberg. And a major indication that the organs will stretch or are stretched.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What ever happens to just eat protein carbs and fats when hungry and lift hard and heavy and sleep.. repeat. All this new complicated ****nthat probably does nothing worth trying it for. I dunno just my opinion
The way I see it, there's always more than one way to do anything at all, and it's all about which method you prefer the most. One method may be better suited to one individual over another, due to many factors including lifestyle, personal preferences, etc.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The vast majority of people who aren’t using GH and insulin probably won’t have the bubble guts that many of today’s pros do.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My breakfast is around 1100 calories and over 60g of protein. And it is very difficult to get down personally.
What do you eat for breakfast and how do you power down tough to eat meals? My appetite has been a bit crappy lately. I'm almost ready to resort to olive oil shots again.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What do you eat for breakfast and how do you power down tough to eat meals? My appetite has been a bit crappy lately. I'm almost ready to resort to olive oil shots again.
3 sausage patties, that is around 4oz pork, 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, 2 tbsp butter, 6 liver tablets. I eat it about 30min after I waken. And it is tough lol.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The vast majority of people who aren’t using GH and insulin probably won’t have the bubble guts that many of today’s pros do.
THe vast majority of people DO have bubble guts and aren’t using GH or even bodybuilding in the first place. Dad bod, farmer bod...

The common denominator is overeating. The large volume of food, in one sitting, not simply the calorie and macronutrient contents of that food.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
THe vast majority of people DO have bubble guts and aren’t using GH or even bodybuilding in the first place. Dad bod, farmer bod...

The common denominator is overeating. The large volume of food, not simply the calorie and macronutrient contents of that food.
A bubble gut is a distended gut on people who are very lean and have visible, defined abs. A dad bod is not very lean and has no visible abs, and therefore does not qualify for a bubble gut. It’s just being fat.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
3 sausage patties, that is around 4oz pork, 3 eggs, 3 slices of bacon, 2 tbsp butter, 6 liver tablets. I eat it about 30min after I waken. And it is tough lol.
That’s not actually a large volume of food by my definition.

To clarify, that’s not “very small” either.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
That’s not actually a large volume of food by my definition.
High in protein, high in fat. No carbs. Equals over 1000 calories. It doesnt seem like a lot, but fat is extremely satiating.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A bubble gut is a distended gut on people who are very lean and have visible, defined abs. A dad bod is not very lean and has no visible abs, and therefore does not qualify for a bubble gut. It’s just being fat.
And if that guy goes into bodybuilding and stretches out his organs on OMAD he would have your definition of a bubble gut.

To me, if you push outward and it isn’t flat, you have a gut. No matter how fat or ripped you are. Only an extremely small percentage of men actually don’t have a gut by my definition. I still do. A lot of really ripped guys do.

Overeating.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
High in protein, high in fat. No carbs. Equals over 1000 calories. It doesnt seem like a lot, but fat is extremely satiating.
Absolutely. I eat a similar but different breakfast. Double scoop protein shake with whole milk (water on a cut, always) immediately upon waking then cook 6 bacon, 3 eggs with 1tbs butter. The protein shake absorbs before the food is even finished cooking.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
And if that guy goes into bodybuilding and stretches out his organs on OMAD he would have your definition of a bubble gut.

To me, if you push outward and it isn’t flat, you have a gut. No matter how fat or ripped you are. Only an extremely small percentage of men actually don’t have a gut by my definition. I still do. A lot of really ripped guys do.

Overeating.
A gut is not the same as bodybuilding’s bubble gut man. This is basic s**t. A fat guy has a gut because he has a lot of fat on his midsection hanging off of it; fat you can grab and jiggles. The bodybuilding bubble gut is what makes a bodybuilder look pregnant despite having clearly defined abs and virtually no body fat.

Furthermore, literally everyone in the world will have a stomach that “isn’t flat” when they push it out. Even people with sub 30” waists will have distended stomachs if they push their stomachs outwards. This is really silly man.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lee Priest bulked hard in the offseason, and got a bit of a belly, but it was completely flat come contest time. So his belly in the offseason was not a bubble gut, it was him being sort of fat. But he himself has said it doesn’t matter what you look like in the offseason, only on stage, and he looked great on stage. Even at his heaviest offseason, it’s not a bubble gut in any sense of the word.

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A gut is not the same as bodybuilding’s bubble gut man. This is basic s**t. A fat guy has a gut because he has a lot of fat on his midsection hanging off of it; fat you can grab and jiggles. The bodybuilding bubble gut is what makes a bodybuilder look pregnant despite having clearly defined abs and virtually no body fat.

Furthermore, literally everyone in the world will have a stomach that “isn’t flat” when they push it out. Even people with sub 30” waists will have distended stomachs if they push their stomachs outwards. This is really silly man.
Second paragraph is untrue. Not everyone.

I am on a mission to bring waistlines inward so either you want that too and we should start agreeing or aesthetic waistlines on huge guys is dead. I know it’s entirely possible for things to change for the better.

Anyway, have a good afternoon.