Olive leaf extract lowers testosterone

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

Oral administration of various concentrations of olive leaves extract resulted in significant decrease of male genital system hormones.

you dun goof'd if you're taking this
And this study shows it increases testicular test levels in rats (your study posted is in rats as well) with a high protein diet.

I'd caution making sweeping statements based off a single study.

I'd also caution the simplistic viewpoint of "more testosterone good! Less bad!" and view things in a whole considering all the other potential drawbacks and benefits. Considering the lacking research in benefits of maximizing testosterone within normal boundaries and muscle gains and the fact that not everything is about only maximizing hypertrophy it is important to view things from a wide scope depending on an individuals goals and using the range of research to make decisions.

PS you seem to have an obsession with this though and I'll be honest overthinking these kinds of things are probably worse than any individual benefits or negatives a product has...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
And this study shows it increases testicular test levels in rats (your study posted is in rats as well) with a high protein diet.

I'd caution making sweeping statements based off a single study.

I'd also caution the simplistic viewpoint of "more testosterone good! Less bad!" and view things in a whole considering all the other potential drawbacks and benefits. Considering the lacking research in benefits of maximizing testosterone within normal boundaries and muscle gains and the fact that not everything is about only maximizing hypertrophy it is important to view things from a wide scope depending on an individuals goals and using the range of research to make decisions.

PS you seem to have an obsession with this though and I'll be honest overthinking these kinds of things are probably worse than any individual benefits or negatives a product has...
boom-there it is!!!

Stanfoo

Awards
Oleuropein increases test, which is found in olives, olive oil, olive leaf extract. that study showing increased T didn't use olive leaf extract

the study i linked showing decreased T used olive leaf extract. so olive leaf extract has **** in it that makes the Oleuropein T boosting effects not work

therefor: eat olives or olive oil for T boost, but don't take olive leaf extract or else lower T. you can't argue with the studies

for example SNS Inhibit E contains olive leaf extract. better check whatever supps you're taking so it doesn't have olive leaf extract in it

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oleuropein increases test, which is found in olives, olive oil, olive leaf extract. that study showing increased T didn't use olive leaf extract

the study i linked showing decreased T used olive leaf extract. so olive leaf extract has **** in it that makes the Oleuropein T boosting effects not work

therefor: eat olives or olive oil for T boost, but don't take olive leaf extract or else lower T. you can't argue with the studies

for example SNS Inhibit E contains olive leaf extract. better check whatever supps you're taking so it doesn't have olive leaf extract in it
i know for a fact that steve at sns researches the hell out of ingredients before he uses them.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

You realize that Oleuropein is a bioactive of Olive Leaf Extract right?

Edit: just coming back because I’m having a hard time unraveling what you are saying. Feel I’m missing something in translation. You agree Oleuropein can increase test? Oleuropein is extracted from Olive Leaf so I’m missing how you can say that boosts test but you can’t take it via Olive Leaf Extract? Then how? Maybe there is a constituent that decreases, but I think I’m missing how it’s ok to throw away one study but take another.

I’m probably biased because I’m a fan of the ingredient and I take Oleuropein and Tyrosol frequently for a variety of benefits.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
And you didn't really absorb what I said about other benefits.

Stanfoo

Awards
You realize that Oleuropein is a bioactive of Olive Leaf Extract right?

Edit: just coming back because I’m having a hard time unraveling what you are saying. Feel I’m missing something in translation. You agree Oleuropein can increase test? Oleuropein is extracted from Olive Leaf so I’m missing how you can say that boosts test but you can’t take it via Olive Leaf Extract? Then how? Maybe there is a constituent that decreases, but I think I’m missing how it’s ok to throw away one study but take another.
reread my 2nd post, can't really break it down any further, i don't get how u don't understand it. i clearly made my point of how olive leaf extract lowers T. just cause olive leaf extract has Oleuropein doesn't mean olive leaf extract increases T, as proven by the study, it did the opposite. get Oleuropein from other sources if u want T boost

And you didn't really absorb what I said about other benefits.
olive leaf extract indeed many health benefits, but the point of this thread is olive leaf extract lowers T as proven by the study

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
reread my 2nd post, can't really break it down any further, i don't get how u don't understand it. i clearly made my point of how olive leaf extract lowers T. just cause olive leaf extract has Oleuropein doesn't mean olive leaf extract increases T, as proven by the study, it did the opposite. get Oleuropein from other sources if u want T boost

olive leaf extract indeed many health benefits, but the point of this thread is olive leaf extract lowers T as proven by the study
Ok so where do we get Oleuropein from if not from Olive Extracts?

I feel like you are being condescending but I don’t think you understand what you are saying.

Stanfoo

Awards
Ok so where do we get Oleuropein from if not from Olive Extracts?

I feel like you are being condescending but I don’t think you understand what you are saying.
see, u definitely didn't read/understand my posts

my 2nd post literally answered your question on where to get Oleuropein

Stanfoo

Awards
Ok nvm this isn’t worth my time.
instead of admitting your faults like a man you cop out

could have saved this thread useless back and forth posts

back to the point: olive leaf extract lowers T

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
"Long used in traditional medicine, olive leaf extract comes from the leaves of the olive tree (Olea europaea) and has a variety of health benefits. Research shows oleuropein, the main component in olive leaf extract, has antioxidant, antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and immune-stimulating properties."

Stanfoo

Awards
@Beau no one's arguing against it's many health benefits, i even said it's good in that regard myself

the only bad thing about it is it lowers T. so go ahead and take it if you want to become less masculine

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In this study OLE protected the testes and lead to increased test.

"OLE treatment markedly attenuated both biochemical and histopathological changes."

Here we see a similar result in diabetic rats

"the cell counts in experimental group 4 which was diabetic and received extract of olea europaea (500 mg. kg-1) exhibited a significant increase, compared to them in experimental group 2 (diabetic control).
Conclusion: Extract hydro-alcoholic olive leaf, can reduce the side effects of diabetes on levels of gonadotropins, sex hormones, spermatogenesis and can improve pituitary-testis axsis in diabetic rat."

Here we see a Testosterone and fertility boost in healthy male rabbits

"In conclusion, supplementation of the diet with olive leaf extract, in particular at a level of 1.5 ml/kg, as a natural antioxidants source, is essential for improving reproductive performance and consequently semen quality and fertility of breeding rabbit bucks (natural or artificial mating) without adversely effects on healthy status."

Another study using rats that would normally have lowered T levels

"Conclusion: This study indicated that oral administration of olive leaf extract can prevent from testosterone reduce in I/R 24h group."

If you based your conclusions off of 1 outlier study, you done screwed up.

Stanfoo

Awards
@nostrum420 LOL all your links doesn't even lead to any specific study. link properly otherwise your post is moot

clicked your links and none of the paragraphs you quoted come up. sad when someone has to resort to making **** up to refute someones point

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just for grins I just checked all the links and they're working fine for me.

Maybe you didn't read all the way to the end?

Are the links not working for anyone else?

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
all your links look like this:
should link to the study, not google's search results
I did. I'm not sure why it came up that way for you. It's not doing that for me. That being said, if you take a moment to click the highlighted link it will show you the study in question. Moreover, if you click any of the studies on that page they all discuss fertility increase, testosterone increase, etc. in positive correlation with OLE. The study you found seems to be an outlier.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
is Stanfoo the same person behind ironhands? They seem to have the same speaking patterns and logic

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just because I feel like banging my head against the wall today, and I can't stand stupidity like this...

Your second post has..."so olive leaf extract has **** in it that makes the Oleuropein T boosting effects not work"

So, your conclusion is, "therefor: eat olives or olive oil for T boost, but don't take olive leaf extract or else lower T. you can't argue with the studies"

I CAN argue with the study (not studies - you only have 1 by the way, I counted 3X to be sure) - and Nostrum, as even you admit, did so pretty darned well. By the way, it's "therefore". I'm sure that was just a typo so no big deal.

But more to the point, I can argue with your LOGIC. If "olive leaf extract has **** in it that makes Oleuropein T boosting effects not work" then guess what? Olive Leaves have **** in them that make Oleuropein's T boosting effects not work!!!

How do we know? Because you can't EXTRACT something from the leaf that isn't already there! And if you're extracting the oleuropein from the olive leaf, then of course you're actually REDUCING the **** that counters the test boosting effects of oleuropein because you're increasing the % of oleuropein in the matter that results.

So, your conclusion, if you even believe the study, would be - avoid olives and olive leaves because there's something in them that is powerful enough to reduce the effects of oleuropein, even when whatever that is has been reduced and oleuropein has been increased. You should be concluding - "use extracts."

And this is why Resolve did not understand what you were getting at. You weren't making any sense. I know in your head you THOUGHT it made sense, but it wasn't Resolve that lacked the requisite knowledge - it was you in this case. No harm, it happens to us all.

This is also why you shouldn't make sweeping claims based on one study. People screw up studies all the time. Sometimes they just get it wrong. In this case, how do the observations of the study you posted stack up to other studies? They just don't. I would suggest that one possibility is that the "extract" they used is somehow flawed. The basically dried and ground leaves, added ethanol and didn't test for any standardization or anything. Maybe there was hardly any oleuropein in the leaves and there was something else that does counter-act testosterone IN THE LEAVES that caused this.

Plants, you should know, aren't all exactly the same and genetics and many other factors play a role in what chemicals are in what plant parts, etc. This is why most of us want standardized extracts - because ground up olive leaves could contain a lot of stuff other than oleuropein and who knows what that is.

This study could have some interesting follow ups though - what has been implied here is that estradiol levels may have influence over the effect of phytoestrogens.

see, u definitely didn't read/understand my posts

my 2nd post literally answered your question on where to get Oleuropein
Nope, he was right. You definitely didn't have a clue what you were talking about.

Well played. He gave you the benefit of the doubt that maybe HE wasn't the one understanding correctly - something you never even considered for yourself - and then when he realized that, nope, you have no clue and it wasn't worth arguing over - you attack his manhood? I wish you could see how funny this is, but the irony has given me a good laugh.

I also found humor in the bolding of the last line. It's irony in irony and you can't make this stuff up. "The point" as you see it, and that no one else understands, has to be bolded and it is clearly wrong. Just awesome.

ok your studies checked out, good stuff

that's how you counter someones argument
For the record, Resolve never really countered your argument. He merely asked questions to try to understand your argument better because it didn't even make logical sense and he was giving you the benefit of the doubt. He may have suggested a couple of ideas to consider along side this, but he never even said you were wrong haha. He's pretty much the one guy in here who tried to let you clarify and explain and you blasted him for it.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I will add: who gives a **** (if olive leaf lowers test)? If I'm taking it, it's for reasons beyond test boosting, and whatever those reasons may be, they more than make up for whatever little dip in test I *might* get.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hey, at least (after some efforts on my part) he admitted that he was wrong.

That's rare. Kudos.
interested in a negotiating job with IRS for me?;)

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don’t want to get drawn into any sort of argument or anything...

I just generally don’t like when people make sweeping statements on here. There’s tons of people who search things online or just lurk the forums and they’ll see a post like this and based on the strength of the OPs conviction assume it automatically is correct and that we should worry about Olive Leaf Extract and Test levels.

That’s again not to say there isn’t a possibility of an issue, but that seems to go against what I’ve seen so far and honestly most of the good data seems more on other health markers.

I try not to argue and really was just confused. I think the misunderstanding stemmed from not understanding what an extract or how that process worked.

I don’t mean to pile on, but I did have a good chuckle at the questioning of my manhood considering OPs post history. I feel lifestyle and other choices may have more impact on these types of things anyways.

The study in the first post is weird too, felt they made some strong claims (use as a contraceptive just on this study?).

I enjoy reading research tho so I appreciated a new study, but 🤷‍♂️

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This feels like when that one creatine study in 2009 came out that showed a DHT increase, and people freaked out that creatine was going to cause their hair to fall out

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
This feels like when that one creatine study in 2009 came out that showed a DHT increase, and people freaked out that creatine was going to cause their hair to fall out
Oh, related to this... we’ll soon actually find out how much of a concern this is. 5g/day for 6 months of creatine mono. Was supposed to start in April, unsure if it did.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Oh, related to this... we’ll soon actually find out how much of a concern this is. 5g/day for 6 months of creatine mono. Was supposed to start in April, unsure if it did.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

Olive leaf extract? What's the extracted component that lowers T? I could say that apple extract kills you. Theres so many components in apples lol

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey, at least (after some efforts on my part) he admitted that he was wrong.

That's rare. Kudos.
It is rare and good to see. Credit for that.

However, again he demonstrated the same flaw in his approach with you. You postsd studies and he couldn't follow the links and accused you of being the one with the issue first, when he was the one that had the misunderstanding to begin with.

I don't mean to be a jerk, or pile on. It is also good read he brought a new study to light, we could have 100 studies and believe something works one way and then a single study starts turning things on its head. And I appreciate conviction in your ideas.

I have certainly become more ornery since the lockdown so maybe it is me and I am falling into the same trap.

nostrum420

nostrum420

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It is rare and good to see. Credit for that.

However, again he demonstrated the same flaw in his approach with you. You postsd studies and he couldn't follow the links and accused you of being the one with the issue first, when he was the one that had the misunderstanding to begin with.

I don't mean to be a jerk, or pile on. It is also good read he brought a new study to light, we could have 100 studies and believe something works one way and then a single study starts turning things on its head. And I appreciate conviction in your ideas.

I have certainly become more ornery since the lockdown so maybe it is me and I am falling into the same trap.
Yeah, this took some patience.

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
Was there ever a consensus reached on the effects of olive leaf extract?

It seems it can lower testosterone AND estrogen.

Screwtape

Screwtape

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both olive leaf and olive oil contain an anti-estrogenic compound called oleocanthal, which also has anti-inflammatory effects.

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oof I sure hope not, I've been on OLE for literally 17 years straight. Haven't noticed any issues except for looking younger than my age and killing off bad bacteria and viruses!

Wordz_Worf

Wordz_Worf

Awards
  • Established
Oof I sure hope not, I've been on OLE for literally 17 years straight. Haven't noticed any issues except for looking younger than my age and killing off bad bacteria and viruses!
Nice. It's supposed to be really good for skin health.

grovemule

grovemule

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
One of my Staples. When I feel a cold sore coming on I double my dose, knocks it out. Won't be with out it.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
One of my Staples. When I feel a cold sore coming on I double my dose, knocks it out. Won't be with out it.
Astragalus is another good immune builder. When I feel a cold coming on, I reach for the Astragalus.

grovemule

grovemule

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Astragalus is another good immune builder. When I feel a cold coming on, I reach for the Astragalus.
I've heard good about it. I get some in my optimize T and furosap in the form of astragin. I'll have to research it. Thanks 4 the heads up.