NyQuil kicked me off Ketosis!

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Before I started the CKD it never crossed my mind that NyQuil could have calories, much less carbs, even with its sweet taste. I just never thought about it.

Well, I started getting sick today, and decided to drink some, since tomorrow is my depletion work-out and I wanted to rest.

After drinking it, its sweet taste made me curious, so I checked its nutrition facts online, and yes, one dose contains 93 calories and a whooping 19g of carbs!

I had 20g of carbs for the day as part of my CKD, but with those extra 19 (total of 39g) I got kicked off Ketosis (that sounds silly, like getting kicked off a trendy-name Club).

Anyway, is it possible to enter Ketosis once again before my depletion tomorrow, or am I screwed?

Damn You, NyQuil! Damn You to HELL!!!:damnit:

Trauma1

Trauma1

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Nyquil goodness is worth it though! :jester:

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
40 carbs is not enough to remove you from ketosis. 20-30 carbs is a good, safe operational range to function in when you get started with the diet. Some guys can push it up to the 40s, 50s and still be in a ketogenic state.

Being knocked out of ketosis is when your body is supplied with a steady stream of carbohydrates that are adequate enough to prevent your brain from requiring the use of ketones to supplement its caloric requirements.

So at 40 grams of carbohydrates intake you don't meet the 100 grams of glucose your brain and other glucose dependent organs need to get out of ketosis.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
40 carbs is not enough to remove you from ketosis. 20-30 carbs is a good, safe operational range to function in when you get started with the diet. Some guys can push it up to the 40s, 50s and still be in a ketogenic state.

Being knocked out of ketosis is when your body is supplied with a steady stream of carbohydrates that are adequate enough to prevent your brain from requiring the use of ketones to supplement its caloric requirements.

So at 40 grams of carbohydrates intake you don't meet the 100 grams of glucose your brain and other glucose dependent organs need to get out of ketosis.

that is not true, every person is different. I used to do atkins and even in maintnenance I could not go over 30 g a day without going out of ketosis. some are more sensitive than others.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The Nyquil goodness is worth it though! :jester:
John I think we can quote Dennis Leary right about now...ahahahahaha. Green death fukcin flavor, lmao!!

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
that is not true, every person is different. I used to do atkins and even in maintnenance I could not go over 30 g a day without going out of ketosis. some are more sensitive than others.
How did you judge whether you are in ketosis or not? By way of ketostix?

And atkins is different from CKD there are separate dynamics at play.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
How did you judge whether you are in ketosis or not? By way of ketostix?

And atkins is different from CKD there are separate dynamics at play.

maybe they are different but ketosis is ketosis. I had testing strips and kept track of everything I ate and always used the test strips 3 times a day so its pretty easy if you are in deep ketosis and you eat 30 g carbs and then go completely out of ketosis in 2 -3 hours its the 30 g of carbs. Ive read some can go as high as 90 but as ive seen with me it can be as low as 30.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards

But remember, on the CKD, I consume 175g of protein, which, although to a much lesser effect than carbs, does cause an insulin response. 175g of protein plus 40g of carbs could take one out of Ketosis.

And yes, I use Ketostix to measure Ketone levels, which went from a decent purple to light beige 1 hour after dosing with NyQuil. I know the sticks are not perfect, but I hadn't experience that much of a color change in a short period of time; even malitol and other sugar alcohols do not affect me that much (if any).

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
maybe they are different but ketosis is ketosis. I had testing strips and kept track of everything I ate and always used the test strips 3 times a day so its pretty easy if you are in deep ketosis and you eat 30 g carbs and then go completely out of ketosis in 2 -3 hours its the 30 g of carbs. Ive read some can go as high as 90 but as ive seen with me it can be as low as 30.
Stalling from ketosis and removal are two different things. If you used ketostix on a TKD you would bounce in and out of ketosis according to the sticks. It's still being in ketosis but with stalls.

But remember, on the CKD, I consume 175g of protein, which, although to a much lesser effect than carbs, does cause an insulin response. 175g of protein plus 40g of carbs could take one out of Ketosis.

And yes, I use Ketostix to measure Ketone levels, which went from a decent purple to light beige 1 hour after dosing with NyQuil. I know the sticks are not perfect, but I hadn't experience that much of a color change in a short period of time; even malitol and other sugar alcohols do not affect me that much (if any).
175 grams of protein and 40 carbs will not take you out of ketosis. Maybe if you got in 175 grams of pure valine it would, but otherwise no, theres not enough glucose there to remove you from ketosis.

By remove I mean shift your metabolism from the fat-energy dependent one to a glucose-energy dependent one, that is removal from ketosis. A change in color on a ketostick means less ketones yes, it happens when you have more glucose available for the brain to use yes, its not removing you from ketosis to be at a lighter shade.

Ketones are not very important for a CKD diet, ketones are a marker that your in ketosis yes, but whats more important is the burning of FFA's. Ketone energy accounts for only a handful of calories versus what fat actually provides. All the sticks on a CKD diet need to do is marginally change color and thats all you need.

SuppKnight

SuppKnight

Awards
Stalling from ketosis and removal are two different things. If you used ketostix on a TKD you would bounce in and out of ketosis according to the sticks. It's still being in ketosis but with stalls.

175 grams of protein and 40 carbs will not take you out of ketosis. Maybe if you got in 175 grams of pure valine it would, but otherwise no, theres not enough glucose there to remove you from ketosis.

By remove I mean shift your metabolism from the fat-energy dependent one to a glucose-energy dependent one, that is removal from ketosis. A change in color on a ketostick means less ketones yes, it happens when you have more glucose available for the brain to use yes, its not removing you from ketosis to be at a lighter shade.

Ketones are not very important for a CKD diet, ketones are a marker that your in ketosis yes, but whats more important is the burning of FFA's. Ketone energy accounts for only a handful of calories versus what fat actually provides. All the sticks on a CKD diet need to do is marginally change color and thats all you need.

I get what you're saying, and yes, I should have been clearer in my original post and said the NyQuil stalled, rather than took me off Ketosis, but what I wanted to convey was the fact that it affected my diet, if only for a short while. When one is forcing oneself to consume as few carbs as possible to maintain optimal Ketosis for the burning of FFAs, and this happens, you can imagine how one might feel. Those three or four hours of stalled Ketosis, if added up for 3 or 4 days or extra doses (if one is very sick), could easily translate into lbs not lost due to non-optimal burning of FFAs.

AMTorres

AMTorres

Awards
  • Established
Hey Supp, long time no talk! Nyquil sucks balls! haha!

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I thought once you were out of ketosis, that it took a couple days to get back in?

ThomasRivera

ThomasRivera

Awards
  • Established
I thought once you were out of ketosis, that it took a couple days to get back in?
It depends on a few things. How long you were in ketosis, how many carbs you intake. But there is stalling, where your body isn't producing ketones for the brain and slows down on fat use because it processes the glucose first, then removal, which is removal. An example of stalling would be in a TKD diet, carbs are taken before and after workouts to try to maintain a certain baseline level of glycogen in the muscles. Its a ketogenic diet but has stalls.

FitnFirm

Banned
Awards
  • Established
like the other poster said it depends. Sometime depending on how many carbs you had to get out it could take just one day, the more carbs the longer it will take.